There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nile crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus)

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(11-08-2019, 09:05 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: Hippos are much bigger than these crocodiles, so they can dominate the crocs on an individual basis: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...cture.html

But if an army of hippos is outnumbered by an army of crocs, then the hippos are in trouble:

Back in Zambia, 2014, an army of about 100 crocs attacked a group of hippos: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/ferocio...-1.1758584, https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/47...-of-hippos

I will want to clarify some things here.

First of all, the video of the crocs "attacking" the hippos is fake, in fact we can see that is a series of different films and the guy of the channel "Life of Crocodile" (which is obviously a Croc "fan") is critiziced in the comments. I also remember that the baby hippo was injured by other hippos, not by the crocodiles and the dead animal at the endof the video was already dead, probably killed by other hippo, the crocs did not killed him they are just scavenging the carcase.

Second, the link on the images is also incorrect and very sensacionalist. The crocs did not killed that hippo, the hippo was already dead, you can see it by the color of of the carcase. The other hippos are separated from the group of crocs because they are eating and are very aggresive in that moment. So, the crocs did not killed the hippo, probably it died of other circunstances, but is true that no hippo will challenge that group of crocs eating, it make no sense to them to pick a futile fight agains a group of animals that can kills you, specially when the other members of your group are not interested.

Hippos clearly dominate over crocs most of the time, they even kill them, but probably crocs will never predate on an adult hippo, those are just "stories" of natives. Some people may say that "Gustave" the giant man-eater was the exception, but I even doubt in those stories, specially when there is no evidence of the size of that animal, just pictures with no reference or any other thing to compare the size of that animal.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

(11-05-2019, 09:50 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 01:57 PM)Verdugo Wrote: Monster Nile croc skull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alzoYpjRZCU

@GuateGojira ...

Incredible! In fact, I have the document of Dr Whitaker (attached file) and the skull measured 68.6 cm, just as large as the ones from Australia! In table 1 of the document we can see that the estimated total length was of about 540 cm. That is why he believes that the crocs in Lake Chamo are real giants among the crocs in the world.

By the way, if someone read the document and ask about Ts - Tomistoma schlegelii, it is the false gharial: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_gharial

Attached Files
.pdf   Whitaker & Whitaker-2008_The biggest crocodile skull.pdf (Size: 1.83 MB / Downloads: 0)
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

(10-22-2019, 02:23 AM)DinoFan83 Wrote: Nile crocodiles are actually quite decently sized on average: 527 kg! 
https://academic.oup.com/jmammal/article/91/5/1280/903109

That is not a real figure, nor a real average. Those weights are calculations made for the study and very odds as most of the time are made based in female weights, but that document don't even specify where they took those body masses or even if is for males, females or the entire population. 527 kg is more like one good sized male, not an average for the population.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(02-28-2020, 08:22 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 09:05 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: Hippos are much bigger than these crocodiles, so they can dominate the crocs on an individual basis: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...cture.html

But if an army of hippos is outnumbered by an army of crocs, then the hippos are in trouble:

Back in Zambia, 2014, an army of about 100 crocs attacked a group of hippos: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/ferocio...-1.1758584, https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/47...-of-hippos

I will want to clarify some things here.

First of all, the video of the crocs "attacking" the hippos is fake, in fact we can see that is a series of different films and the guy of the channel "Life of Crocodile" (which is obviously a Croc "fan") is critiziced in the comments. I also remember that the baby hippo was injured by other hippos, not by the crocodiles and the dead animal at the endof the video was already dead, probably killed by other hippo, the crocs did not killed him they are just scavenging the carcase.

Second, the link on the images is also incorrect and very sensacionalist. The crocs did not killed that hippo, the hippo was already dead, you can see it by the color of of the carcase. The other hippos are separated from the group of crocs because they are eating and are very aggresive in that moment. So, the crocs did not killed the hippo, probably it died of other circunstances, but is true that no hippo will challenge that group of crocs eating, it make no sense to them to pick a futile fight agains a group of animals that can kills you, specially when the other members of your group are not interested.

Hippos clearly dominate over crocs most of the time, they even kill them, but probably crocs will never predate on an adult hippo, those are just "stories" of natives. Some people may say that "Gustave" the giant man-eater was the exception, but I even doubt in those stories, specially when there is no evidence of the size of that animal, just pictures with no reference or any other thing to compare the size of that animal.
Long time ago more than 10 years ago  I saw a documentary of Gustave in Discovery Channel where a group of large Hippos avoided the huge crocodile when  he moved in front of the Hippos, he did not attack them but they were very wary of him.
1 user Likes epaiva's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2020, 09:25 PM by Pckts )

I dont recall that doc, only the one where the hippos put themselves between gustave and a youngster.
But even that may be tv sensationalism, I've noticed that Hippos dont seem to be much of a team player.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Expert & Researcher

(02-28-2020, 09:11 PM)epaiva Wrote: Long time ago more than 10 years ago  I saw a documentary of Gustave in Discovery Channel where a group of large Hippos avoided the huge crocodile when  he moved in front of the Hippos, he did not attack them but they were very wary of him.

I belive that I also remember that documentary, but I am not sure. The fact that Gustave was "very large" may be a factor. In fact, Hippos had an average weight of only 831 kg in some adult female populations (Zambia), so an outsized male of 700 - 900 kg is a real danger for those small adult females, specially if they have youngs.

Did you remember in what region lived Gustave?
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(02-28-2020, 09:33 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 09:11 PM)epaiva Wrote: Long time ago more than 10 years ago  I saw a documentary of Gustave in Discovery Channel where a group of large Hippos avoided the huge crocodile when  he moved in front of the Hippos, he did not attack them but they were very wary of him.

I belive that I also remember that documentary, but I am not sure. The fact that Gustave was "very large" may be a factor. In fact, Hippos had an average weight of only 831 kg in some adult female populations (Zambia), so an outsized male of 700 - 900 kg is a real danger for those small adult females, specially if they have youngs.

Did you remember in what region lived Gustave?
I think he lived in Ruanda or Burundi where they had a huge civil war with many deads
2 users Like epaiva's post

Expert & Researcher

(02-28-2020, 09:39 PM)epaiva Wrote: I think he lived in Ruanda or Burundi where they had a huge civil war with many deads

Thanks. Actually I don't have data on hippos in that area, so I am not quite sure for a size comparison.

It seems that there is no "official" information of that giant croc, just anecdotical informations and "stories".
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(02-28-2020, 09:44 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 09:39 PM)epaiva Wrote: I think he lived in Ruanda or Burundi where they had a huge civil war with many deads

Thanks. Actually I don't have data on hippos in that area, so I am not quite sure for a  size comparison.

It seems that there is no "official" information of that giant croc, just anecdotical informations and "stories".

@GuateGojira
Yes you are right there is not "official" information of its size, only estimates of people that saw him.
2 users Like epaiva's post

Malaysia scilover Offline

The diet of the Nile crocodile is mainly fish, but it will attack almost anything unfortunate enough to cross its path, including zebras, small hippos, porcupines, birds, and other crocodiles. It will also scavenge carrion and can eat up to half its body weight at a feeding. Also, The mouths of Nile crocodiles are filled with 64 to 68 sharply pointed, cone-shaped teeth (about a dozen less than alligators have). For most of a crocodile's life, broken teeth can be replaced. So it doesn't weird that he can basically eat anything. They also known as the most well-known and documented reputation for preying on humans. 

WOW!!!
3 users Like scilover's post

United States WildCats30 Offline
New Join

The legendary account of the Nile crocodile that single-handedly pulled down an adult black rhino. Charles Albert Walter Guggisberg mentioned it in his book. https://archive.org/details/crocodilestheirn00cawg/page/86/mode/2up?q=

*This image is copyright of its original author

The event was documented and photographed Frederick Courteny Selous. These photos are from his book, African Nature Notes and Reminiscenses. https://archive.org/details/africannaturenot00selo/page/202/mode/2up?q=

4 users Like WildCats30's post

Nile crocodile is so cruel but smart.

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

The famous Giant Nile crocodiles of Lake Chamo they are the largest Nile Crocs 
Taken from a documentary of Jeremy Wade when he was trying to capture big Nile perchs 

3 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Lake Chamo Crocodiles
Credit to @romyspace and @jazziie_again

3 users Like epaiva's post

(08-10-2020, 03:54 AM)epaiva Wrote: The famous Giant Nile crocodiles of Lake Chamo they are the largest Nile Crocs 
Taken from a documentary of Jeremy Wade when he was trying to capture big Nile perchs 

their size in incredibly huge.
2 users Like scilover's post