There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

United States Bruceenzo Offline
Banned

Really? Can you post evidence?

strongmanw7 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2023, 09:45 PM by strongmanw7 )

(03-11-2023, 07:45 PM)Bruceenzo Wrote: Really? Can you post evidence?

Its my guess , who else can be ? fateh was largest in ranthambhore , also about same age as ustaad . ustad and his brothers t23 and t25 were same size as him . ask randeep singh was it fateh t42. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzubCFbY9OA
1 user Likes strongmanw7's post

Jerricson Offline
Prometheus

Managed to get hold of Dr. Sanjeev Gupta of Panna TR and ask him a few questions regarding the measurement protocols and gut fill of those Panna specimens whose morphometric info , we got last year in the form of a booklet.

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Jerricson's post

strongmanw7 Offline

https://www.wpsi-india.org/images/rantha...report.pdf  here pugmarks measurements of many tigers of ranthambhore ....
1 user Likes strongmanw7's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Data Measurements for Tigers during capture or post mortem comparisons

All measurements taken over the curves 

Ustaad- Ranthambore 

HBL: 200 cm
TL: 302 cm
Height: (shoulder blade to heel) 105 cm
Hind Limb Length: 93 cm
Girth: 
Weight: 258.6 kg

Terai Male

HBL: 220 cm
TL: 318 cm
Height: (shoulder blade to heel) 130 cm
Hind Limb Length: 138 cm
Girth: 152 cm 
Weight: 288 kg 

The "Northern Region Male" *Unconfirmed*

HBL: 230 cm
TL: 95 cm
Height: 118 cm
Girth: 164 cm

T28 - Ranthambore 

HBL: 207 cm
TL: 303 cm
Height: (shoulder blade to heel) 127 cm
Hind Limb Length: 
Girth: 
Weight: 260 kg *estimated*

Wagdoh - Tadoba

HBL: 208 cm
TL: 304 cm
Height: 101 cm
Hind Limb Length: 
Girth: 136 cm
Weight: 270 kg *estimated*

MB2-Kanha 2.4 yr old Male

HBL: 205 cm
TL: 297 cm
Height: 125 cm
Hind Limb Length: 
Girth: 
Weight: 195 kg 

P-111 - Panna *slight inconsistencies throughout his captures but generally within range listed overall* 

HBL: 211 cm
TL: 311 cm
Height: (shoulder to tip of paw) 127 cm *max measured*
Hind Limb Length: 
Girth: 154 cm *max measured*
Weight: 226.7 kg 

T-57 -Ranthambore 

HBL: 189 cm
TL: 291 cm
Height: (shoulder blade to heel) 109 cm
Hind Limb Length: 
Girth: 
Weight: 

3 year old Kanha Male

HBL: 206 cm
TL: 303 cm
Height: (shoulder blade to heel) 110 cm
Hind Limb Length: 102 cm 
Girth: 127.5 cm
Weight: 209.4 kg

Kankatta Male from Kanha (10 years old)

HBL: 191.5 cm
TL: 303 cm
Height: (shoulder blade to heel) 108 cm
Hind Limb Length: 102 cm 
Girth: 124 cm
Weight: 196.8 kg
6 users Like Pckts's post

Cyprus ravager Offline

BTW guys do you have a table on the modern tiger weights? @Pckts

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-03-2023, 07:28 PM)ravager Wrote: BTW guys do you have a table on the modern tiger weights? @Pckts

It’s been posted here, not sure which one though and some weights are questionable.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2023, 05:26 AM by peter )

(05-03-2023, 07:28 PM)ravager Wrote: BTW guys do you have a table on the modern tiger weights? @Pckts

This thread has a few tables. The tiger extinction thread has more tables with information about the length and weight of tigers shot about a century ago in what used to be British India. Today, healthy adults are captured, weighed and measured. In Russia, this is not the case.
1 user Likes peter's post

rishabh.d Offline
New Join

(09-17-2020, 01:21 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 11:46 PM)Scout Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 11:03 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:15 PM)Scout Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 09:02 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 07:56 PM)Scout Wrote: By the way, is there any way to estimate a tiger's weight by measurements of chest girth and body length?

Yes, and is actually easy to do. The problem is that we need a relative good sample to make it. For example the Biologist that worked in the Smithsonian/Nepalese Tiger Project made an equation based in the few specimens avaiable, but they did not published it. Other example are the Biologist of the Siberian Tiger Project which do the same and they did published it.

We can try to do it with the sample of the Maharaha of Cooch Behar as is the only large sample available, but may take time. What we need to stablish is if there relation between the chest girth and weight and after that we create the formula that describe it.

Okay, thanks Guate. I wanted to know this because there were two tigers, one shot by Ramsay in late 1800s that measured 366cms and another one by Hardinge, 350cms. I think they were said to be unreliable, but based on the described proportions, they seemed to be huge specimens

Also, what do you say about this specimen right here? I think this is another pic of the 857lbs monster shot in 1967, with some other people. Just by looking at the pic, this guy is huge and that too without any photography tricks, like low angle, etc. 

While discussing about that tiger shot in 1967 and which was said to be 857 lbs it´s good to know, that Guinness has changed their attitute towards that tiger, which is called "Smithsonian tiger" too. They too admit now, that weight is controversial and not certain. Of course for Guinness it´s a slow process, when they have accepted something in past, but they have corrected many other things with time too, because in past they accepted things with very little information to their Guinness Book of Records. This tiger is one of those "records", which wouldn´t be there at all, if someone would try to get it accepted today with so vague information as they managed to do 1967. That´s why also many tiger experts say, that it would need to be verified properly. Which is of course impossible at this point.

As far as I know, in photos that tiger doesn´t look anything too special and measurements aren´t extraordinary, which could be expected to back up claims of so big weight. Also it was weighed in some local sugar mill etc. and it seems that no-one knows today how that weighing was really done and was that scale reliable at all. Since it´s only such (claimed to be) "monster" and never seen before or after in India, I personally don´t take it seriously either. Some people do, but same people are very critical if same kind of vague case with so poor information is showed for some other species.

Anyway, also Guinness say it today, that it´s not clear how heavy that tiger was in reality. This problem seems to be with all "monster" big cats from past, all cases are quite vague and not documented properly at all. This is something, what I think is good to know for people reading these threads. As one biologist said to me, when discussing about tigers and lions and sizes: "Don´t believe all what you read".

Yep, that seems right. The tiger in the pics with Hassinger doesnt look freakishly big like an eight hundred pounder would look. Anyway, I was wondering the size of the tiger I linked above, he appears much bigger than the supposed 857lbs smithsonian tiger. 

This one- 

I did the reverse search, this tiger was shot by royals in Rajasthan's Comilla region

How big is this tiger on photo is once again a tricky one, because typical hunting photo taken so, that killed animal in front and people behind and possible 2-3 meters distance. It makes this quite difficult and very easy to exaggerate size of the tiger. I attach here this photo and I made it a big bigger to show, why I think, that hunters are some meters behind making tiger looking bigger in comparison with people behind it. 

That red circle show how you can see terrain under the tail of the tiger. When you look at the foot of the man right behind the tail, you can notice, that you can´t see his foot under the tail, there is just ground. If he would be right behind the tiger very close, you could see his foot/shoe/boot there. But it can´t be seen because there is some empty space in between the tiger and these men and it makes that typical illusion of a very big animal. It can be big, but how big remains a mystery. With this kind of photos even a wolf can be made to look like a 150 kg monster while everyone knows, that already 70 kg wolf is huge and 80-90 kg is enormous. I try to look if I can find photo of one wolf shot in Russia, photo of it really made it look like 2-3 times bigger than wolves are. I have shared it here before, but I don´t remember the thread now.

2-3 meters is a huge gap, 2mt is around 6ft and 3 meters is around 10 ft, so that amount of gap is definitely not there. I think the gap should be around 2ft max. I think this tiger is easily above 300kg.

Romania palulu Offline

Anyone know abt this??

https://youtu.be/BFb7Cj0Cr6o

India Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

A Dudhwa male weighing 210 kilos was killed by a bigger animal most likely a rhino or an elephant.

"In the examination, it was found that the tiger weighed 210 kg. The right elbow joint was injured and twisted. It had injury marks on its head, and it seemed that it was crushed. There were some scratches on its body," Pawde told PTI.”

Dr. AM Pawde referred here is the principal scientist and in-charge of Centre for Wildlife, ICAI-IVRI, Bareilly. The tiger mentioned here was 4 years old.

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/story/head-injuries-found-in-2-of-4-deceased-tigers-at-dudhwa-post-mortem-report-2392261-2023-06-13
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(02-20-2023, 06:12 PM)Jerricson Wrote:

Managed to get this immobilization record from a vet who's captured several males in Kanha . He told me this might be Bheema as he himself is not sure about the ID/name of this specimen but I highly doubt it considering Bheema was collared in November 2014 , not February 2014. He also managed to disclose that the largest male he's captured is 240 kg and will share its datasheet if he's able to dig it out from his old files. Meanwhile , he also shared me immobilization record of another male , which will be shared here later. Kindly note that measurement protocol is over the curves.

Great information, we hope soo that you can share the information of the other adults specimens, including this male of 240 kg that you mention.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(02-02-2023, 05:05 PM)Bruceenzo Wrote: Does anyone have evidence that the stomach of Tiger M105 is empty? I asked Mr. Eric Dinerstein on whatsapp, but he didn't say anything

Dr Eric Dinerstein never worked with, not even knew, the male M105. He assisted in the second capture of the male M126. The people that worked with male M105 were Dr Mel Sunquist and Dr Dave Smith.

United States melon Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2023, 08:18 PM by BA0701 )

Hello gentlemen, new tiger weight information from my friend
    As we all know, the famous American biologist Dr. Eric Dinerstein's book "The Return of the One-horned Rhino" explained that two male tigers, m105 and m026, exceeded 270kg in 1980 and 1984, but unfortunately, they did not Detailed description, because Dr. Eric is no longer replying to netizens' emails
  But my friend had an email exchange with Dr. Eric's former colleague, Dr. Anup Joshi, and he told me

3 users Like melon's post

United States melon Offline

1 user Likes melon's post