There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2023, 12:05 AM by Charger01 )

(02-21-2023, 12:00 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 11:55 PM)Charger01 Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 11:46 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 11:34 PM)Charger01 Wrote: 224 kg male tiger captured in Corbett. News article: https://www.etvbharat.com/english/nation...7147147767

This was the same male tiger who's video went viral about 2 weeks ago, popularly called as the Mohaan maneater.

He was again sighted about a week ago, with 2 much smaller tigers. Since he wasn't aggressive, they're definitely related to him. 

At first, people thought that this male was one of the cubs of the Avni maneater tigress captured on 18th January. DNA analysis confirmed that she was involved in 3 human attacks. 

Tigress can be seen with her cubs here at 0:13

But looking at the size and build of the male, he definitely wasn't a subadult. The vet said he was about 5 years old, in his prime. Meaning he was MOST LIKELY the mate of the maneater tigress caught a month ago. And since the tigress is missing, he was taking care of the cubs by himself. FD removed him, now lets see how it plays out for the cubs.
Where is the alleged weight from?

I hate when they're so vague. We've seen this many times where they give one word weight answers with no elaboration that turns out to be estimates. Not saying that is or isn't the case but if you can, I'd try to get more information. Like dimensions, where the weight was taken, body condition, etc. Easier said than done, I understand.

He wasn't vague, I only shared the relevant part. He told me that the male was healthy, prime adult with no injuries. Then he blocked me for xyz reason so I couldn't get the information on measurements.

About Rayakassa, I will DM you. He doesn't appear small in any of those videos.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-21-2023, 12:02 AM)abhisingh7 Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 11:34 PM)Charger01 Wrote: 224 kg male tiger captured in Corbett. News article: https://www.etvbharat.com/english/nation...7147147767

This was the same male tiger who's video went viral about 2 weeks ago, popularly called as the Mohaan maneater.

He was again sighted about a week ago, with 2 much smaller tigers. Since he wasn't aggressive, they're definitely related to him. 

At first, people thought that this male was one of the cubs of the Avni maneater tigress captured on 18th January. DNA analysis confirmed that she was involved in 3 human attacks. 

But looking at the size and build of the male, he definitely wasn't a subadult. The vet said he was about 5 years old, in his prime. Meaning he was MOST LIKELY the mate of the maneater tigress caught a month ago. And since the tigress is missing, he was taking care of the cubs by himself. FD removed him, now lets see how it plays out for the cubs.

bro , rayakassa is very large in frame he must be in category of kingfisher of kanha .long time ago i had asked a photograher who had filmed various tigers . his son lmark is also very large .

Not a chance.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-21-2023, 12:03 AM)Charger01 Wrote:

I hate when they're so vague. We've seen this many times where they give one word weight answers with no elaboration that turns out to be estimates. Not saying that is or isn't the case but if you can, I'd try to get more information. Like dimensions, where the weight was taken, body condition, etc. Easier said than done, I understand.

He wasn't vague, I only shared the relevant part. He told me that the male was healthy, prime adult with no injuries. Then he blocked me for xyz reason so I couldn't get the information on measurements.
Which is suspicious in itself. Those details don't share anything to do with why/where/when he was weighed. Or corresponding body dimensions, etc.
We've already seen numerous times of alleged weights presented that turned out to be estimates. Unfortunately that vague nature of data sharing then proceeding to block someone who's only asking relevant questions *I assume* is not something to you can consider to be reliable.

Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2023, 12:14 AM by Charger01 )

(02-21-2023, 12:07 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Which is suspicious in itself. Those details don't share anything to do with why/where/when he was weighed. Or corresponding body dimensions, etc.
We've already seen numerous times of alleged weights presented that turned out to be estimates. Unfortunately that vague nature of data sharing then proceeding to block someone who's only asking relevant questions *I assume* is not something to you can consider to be reliable.

The tiger was suspected to be a maneater and caught 3 days ago. Its all over the news in India. Moreover, estimates are usually rounded numbers or ranges. Like in Waghdoh's case, there was a small (-) before 270 which we ignored. In cases like that of Star (260 kg) we confirmed that he was weighted on a scale but rounded because of minute inaccuracies in the equipment, which is totally normal. But in cases of solid numbers, non has showed up to be an estimate. Non that I know of.  

Before blocking, the vet did direct me to his supervisor because he doesn't hold the documents with himself.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-21-2023, 12:12 AM)Charger01 Wrote:

The tiger was suspected to be a maneater and caught 3 days ago. Its all over the news in India. Moreover, estimates are usually rounded numbers or ranges. Like in Waghdoh's case, there was a small (-) before 270 which we ignored. In cases like that of Star (260 kg) we confirmed that he was weighted on a scale but rounded because of minute inaccuracies in the equipment, which is totally normal. But in cases of solid numbers, non has showed up to be an estimate. Non that I know of.  

Before blocking, the vet did direct me to his supervisor because he doesn't hold the documents with himself.

Which again is suspicious when he directs you to someone else.

Animal admirer & Vegan

(02-21-2023, 12:18 AM)Pckts Wrote:

One thing clear is that he isn't lying. There could be many reasons for directing me to someone else. Like one of the vets of RTR asked me to write to the authorities first before he could give me the data. Some WII scientists have directed me to Dr. Jhala. Its normal to do that.

In the article I posted, you can see that it was him who caught the tiger. He was directly involved in the capture. Led the team. 

Since he doesn't have a profile pic and/or a status, it could be that my messages just aren't reaching him atm. I'll try again when it's morning in India.

abhisingh7 Offline

3 yr old bmw son , various people claimed he weighted 225kg , but visible looks very large .

Attached Files Image(s)

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2023, 12:59 AM by Roflcopters )

(02-20-2023, 09:44 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-18-2023, 12:16 AM)Charger01 Wrote: I was able to confirm that Rayakassa weighed in at 240 kg empty in July 2019. He was 15 yrs old at that point. Will share other details soon.

I have major doubts about this.
Rayakassa wasn't a big male to begin with *small frame* let alone at that age and empty, although I'm not sure he was 15 in 2019.

he was likely 14-15 in 2019. considering he took charge of Turiya in 2008 and littered first cubs of Collarwali the same season. also his weight is a little sus. i doubt he weighed 240kg empty specially considering his age and he wasn’t exactly living his best life in MH part of Pench. which is understandable as he was nearing the end of his life. for sure, in his glory days. he was a force to be reckoned with.

@Jerricson good job as always, here’s a young male from Kisli range that died in March/2014. apparently killed by the dominant male of the area. i wonder if this was the individual? it definitely couldn’t have been Bheema for sure based on the area. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

exact post by Narendra Sharma

On 10th of march evening drive in Kisli Zone Kanha, we saw this beautiful male tiger. He was growling and getting smell to another mail tiger. this tiger was killed by dominate male tiger of Kisli Zone after one day.
2 users Like Roflcopters's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-21-2023, 12:34 AM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

3 yr old bmw son , various people claimed he weighted 225kg , but visible looks very large .

Unfortunately he needs to be taken with a grain of salt too, since his weight claim was obtained by the same that said Bheema was 225kg at 2.5 while we found out he was 207kg at 3.5.
I had the claim of his body dimensions too somewhere but I don't remember where I posted them originally.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-21-2023, 12:28 AM)Charger01 Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 12:18 AM)Pckts Wrote:

One thing clear is that he isn't lying. There could be many reasons for directing me to someone else. Like one of the vets of RTR asked me to write to the authorities first before he could give me the data. Some WII scientists have directed me to Dr. Jhala. Its normal to do that.

In the article I posted, you can see that it was him who caught the tiger. He was directly involved in the capture. Led the team. 

Since he doesn't have a profile pic and/or a status, it could be that my messages just aren't reaching him atm. I'll try again when it's morning in India.

It has nothing to do with lying, it has more so to do with the actual information being lost in translation. A lot of times we've seen claims of weights that turn out to be estimates and it's the reason why we need real verification before accepting them. Generally speaking, they aren't directing you somewhere else if they are the ones who obtained the information.

abhisingh7 Offline

(02-21-2023, 01:52 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Unfortunately he needs to be taken with a grain of salt too, since his weight claim was obtained by the same that said Bheema was 225kg at 2.5 while we found out he was 207kg at 3.5.
I had the claim of his body dimensions too somewhere but I don't remember where I posted them originally.
bmw son visibly looks bigger than bheema , it can be true .

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-21-2023, 02:06 AM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

A bloated carcass is very different from a live specimen. 
KF

Kazi Tiger

So unless you have dimensions it's too hard to make real comparison.

abhisingh7 Offline

(02-21-2023, 03:05 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 02:06 AM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

A bloated carcass is very different from a live specimen. 
KF

Kazi Tiger

So unless you have dimensions it's too hard to make real comparison.

we already know its bloated , its still big , long body , big head and big paws ,i think u should wait for futher details , it can be correct .

abhisingh7 Offline

(02-20-2023, 06:12 PM)Jerricson Wrote:

Managed to get this immobilization record from a vet who's captured several males in Kanha . He told me this might be Bheema as he himself is not sure about the ID/name of this specimen but I highly doubt it considering Bheema was collared in November 2014 , not February 2014. He also managed to disclose that the largest male he's captured is 240 kg and will share its datasheet if he's able to dig it out from his old files. Meanwhile , he also shared me immobilization record of another male , which will be shared here later. Kindly note that measurement protocol is over the curves.
whats the body length here ?  its written nose tip to head 47 cm and head to anus 159cm ,

Jerricson Offline
Prometheus

(02-21-2023, 03:03 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 06:12 PM)Jerricson Wrote:

Managed to get this immobilization record from a vet who's captured several males in Kanha . He told me this might be Bheema as he himself is not sure about the ID/name of this specimen but I highly doubt it considering Bheema was collared in November 2014 , not February 2014. He also managed to disclose that the largest male he's captured is 240 kg and will share its datasheet if he's able to dig it out from his old files. Meanwhile , he also shared me immobilization record of another male , which will be shared here later. Kindly note that measurement protocol is over the curves.
whats the body length here ?  its written nose tip to head 47 cm and head to anus 159cm ,
Just add them both.