There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Jerricson Offline
Prometheus

(09-19-2022, 07:21 PM)AristotelWAW Wrote: Just saw that information regarding T-20 / Jhumroo on a YouTube Community Tab. However in a other community tab this is the information that was posted.

*This image is copyright of its original author

It's getting bored at this point , Yusuf.
2 users Like Jerricson's post

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2022, 01:22 AM by Charger01 )

Yeah I can't take more of this bs

4 users Like Charger01's post

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

(09-20-2022, 12:43 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 12:34 AM)Khan85 Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 12:32 AM)GreenForest Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 07:21 PM)AristotelWAW Wrote: Just saw that information regarding T-20 / Jhumroo on a YouTube Community Tab. However in a other community tab this is the information that was posted.

This sounds right. As per the original report by tiger walah (2012), the tiger was swiftly tranquilized and moved to the safety of protected area. It is quite unlikely they would have measured the tiger after it woke up. It is possible 280kg is estimated weight by vets before tranquillisation. 

@"Khan85" Mate, you have to reveal the source from where you got it.

So you guys can spam him asking the same thing a 100 times?

Our chances of getting information about multiple other ranthambore tigers has already been ruined

His source is valid, there's no question. I'm not one to be easily convinced without verifiable proof.

Sorry Im a bit confused, but was that for me or green forest?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-20-2022, 01:23 AM)Khan85 Wrote:

This sounds right. As per the original report by tiger walah (2012), the tiger was swiftly tranquilized and moved to the safety of protected area. It is quite unlikely they would have measured the tiger after it woke up. It is possible 280kg is estimated weight by vets before tranquillisation. 

Our chances of getting information about multiple other ranthambore tigers has already been ruined

His source is valid, there's no question. I'm not one to be easily convinced without verifiable proof.

That was for the ones questioning your source.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

@Rage2277 

Jaichand was never radio-collared. i don’t know if he was captured at any point. he ruled Umred from (mid 2016 - Jan 2018) before he too went missing and possibly poached. there’s some really sketchy stuff going on down there. I hope Matkasur’s boy doesn’t meet the same fate. fingers crossed.
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

yea i said the same..some shady stuff going on in umred jaichand sired some cubs aswell haven't seen or heard anything on them it's like there are barely any tigers there anymore nagzira too @Roflcopters
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2022, 06:44 AM by Roflcopters )

@GreenForest 

Quote:What makes you to think so? We only care about authentic, reliable information. Cross verification, double checking is part of the process. You should not be worried that someone will ask your source again.

I don’t know what experience you have, if any. when it comes to communicating with people in the field. especially in India. you’ll find that a lot of the times these researchers don’t want to be named. it’s usually a grey area. if a poster claims they spoke to somebody and they don’t want to be named. we can play our part and respect that. still i think most here are willing to communicate via PMs so that we’re all on the same page. in the past, i used to always grill @GuateGojira about not including these unofficial weights but lately, i’m starting to realize his reasonings were valid and i respect the fact that he wants to be as transparent as possible. the way i see it, it’s not about perfection. we’re all collectively learning together and we can continue to do so with an open mind and a higher approach. scientific journals and publications are limited, legitimacy of those can never be questioned. i can agree with that but on the other side. grass is also green, unofficial weights coming from people in the field can also be respected. it takes a lot of personal time, patience and back n forth communication to acquire those. we can always get to the bottom of most things posted with just some background info. just my two cents. 
5 users Like Roflcopters's post

strongmanw7 Offline

(09-20-2022, 12:51 AM)Jerricson Wrote:

It's getting bored at this point , Yusuf.

yusuf is everywhere ,lol
2 users Like strongmanw7's post

abhisingh7 Offline

(09-20-2022, 06:43 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: @GreenForest 

Quote:What makes you to think so? We only care about authentic, reliable information. Cross verification, double checking is part of the process. You should not be worried that someone will ask your source again.

I don’t know what experience you have, if any. when it comes to communicating with people in the field. especially in India. you’ll find that a lot of the times these researchers don’t want to be named. it’s usually a grey area. if a poster claims they spoke to somebody and they don’t want to be named. we can play our part and respect that. still i think most here are willing to communicate via PMs so that we’re all on the same page. in the past, i used to always grill @GuateGojira about not including these unofficial weights but lately, i’m starting to realize his reasonings were valid and i respect the fact that he wants to be as transparent as possible. the way i see it, it’s not about perfection. we’re all collectively learning together and we can continue to do so with an open mind and a higher approach. scientific journals and publications are limited, legitimacy of those can never be questioned. i can agree with that but on the other side. grass is also green, unofficial weights coming from people in the field can also be respected. it takes a lot of personal time, patience and back n forth communication to acquire those. we can always get to the bottom of most things posted with just some background info. just my two cents. 

sariska TR should have documentation like panna TR .... it will be nice if they release the data like panna .

Romania GreenForest Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 02:08 AM by GreenForest )

@Roflcopters  It is fine if contact information of the source is not revealed. But, as a bare minimum, one would expect name of the source and qualification. I always post the name of the source, their qualification from my email communication so that if others want to contact, they are free to do so. One will only get suspicion if even name of the source is not revealed. Recently T28's weight was posted, there was no source. T24's weight was posted, there was no source. Not many will trust these type of source-less data. Our goal has to be quality data, verifiable, proven, transparent. If it is difficult to get data, then we will wait until data is peer reviewed and published. That is better than source-less data in my opinion.
2 users Like GreenForest's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 03:20 AM by Pckts )

(09-21-2022, 02:07 AM)GreenForest Wrote: @Roflcopters  It is fine if contact information of the source is not revealed. But, as a bare minimum, one would expect name of the source and qualification. I always post the name of the source, their qualification from my email communication so that if others want to contact, they are free to do so. One will only get suspicion if even name of the source is not revealed. Recently T28's weight was posted, there was no source. T24's weight was posted, there was no source. Not many will trust these type of source-less data. Our goal has to be quality data, verifiable, proven, transparent. If it is difficult to get data, then we will wait until data is peer reviewed and published. That is better than source-less data in my opinion.

T28’s 240 kg was sourced by the sedating vet if I remember correctly. Unfortunately the image was lost, all others I’ve seen no such sources.

But with regards to Jhumroo, after seeing the source do you agree with the claim?

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 08:47 AM by Roflcopters )

(09-21-2022, 02:07 AM)GreenForest Wrote: @Roflcopters  It is fine if contact information of the source is not revealed. But, as a bare minimum, one would expect name of the source and qualification. I always post the name of the source, their qualification from my email communication so that if others want to contact, they are free to do so. One will only get suspicion if even name of the source is not revealed. Recently T28's weight was posted, there was no source. T24's weight was posted, there was no source. Not many will trust these type of source-less data. Our goal has to be quality data, verifiable, proven, transparent. If it is difficult to get data, then we will wait until data is peer reviewed and published. That is better than source-less data in my opinion.

fair enough, i can’t argue with that. you have a valid point. 

@Pckts 

T20/Jhumroo a day prior to capture was seen feeding on a cattle kill so the weight of 280kg is with stomach content.

here is the extract of the events below.

T20 aka Jhumroo a 11 year old male tiger was finally tranquilized and later released deep inside the protected area. As per eye witness Jhumroo, who is otherwise very shy in  nature was probably enjoying his meal of cattle when a villager got too close to his comfort and was attacked. As  news started spreading & place was full of tamasha viewers, one  more man got entangled in the bushes and fell, he was also attacked  by  tiger leaving him with multiple injuries to nurse. By this time more villagers had gathered at the spot, approximately 700 in number making the rescue operation more difficult.
Jhumoroo being shifted

Before things could turn ugly, forest department under leadership of DCF (Core) Mr. Y.K Sahu  along with one forest guard Rajveer & tourism driver Raees Bhai  swiftly tranquilized the tiger and moved him away to safety of protected area. Mr. Sahu lead his team from front-reached the spot himself  & directed the entire operation, he was infact first to walk towards  tiger post darting to ensure that this gentle beast was sedated properly . Sensing mood of crowd, he also moved the tiger immediately from spot to avoid any undesired incident. Since the department personnel were clearly outnumbered & crowd had  already man handled the local SDM & some police officials during the operation, this surely was a wise move.

The tiger has been sighted by forest department today afternoon in the area he was released yesterday & seems to be doing fine. During monsoon time village cattle starts flocking the forest for grazing, as the natural prey base shift to higher places these animals become an easy catch for big cats. The search for easy prey had probably taken this 280 kg giant to forest periphery on the eastern side of Park boundary.

This situation might worsen in coming months as more people would enter park during monsoon apprx 2000 per day for various reasons like fodder, food, grazing etc.

Bagh Bachao needs to work at grass root level as it is a classic case of struggle between ‘The Haves’ & ‘Have Not’s.The Have’s have all the luxuries in live & wish to ‘save the tiger’ having wiped out forests and wild animals from their vicinity. This set of people also decide on policy matters which directly impact the ‘have not’ population on ground.
Have not’s on the other hand are custodians of rich flora & fauna of India, live a very meager life deprived of even basic amenities & are expected to move out of places they have lived for generations, accept meager sums of money for loss of cattle and life. Why would they & why should they ???

Hoping we would have a solution to this very complex issue some day before i hang up.
Before i get tempted to join the band wagon of conservationists & start giving any kind of gyan which is not the motto of this blog, i terminate this blog post with a satisfaction in heart that my favorite tiger is safe & back in wilderness.
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

abhisingh7 Offline

dharmendra khandal who darted ustaad mentions its weight as 260-270kg on social media (facebook)  , he has perhaps darted a lot of other males too . he can be contacted for further clarity and more details .
1 user Likes abhisingh7's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-21-2022, 03:28 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

dharmendra khandal who darted ustaad mentions its weight as 260-270kg on social media (facebook)  , he has perhaps darted a lot of other males too . he can be contacted for further clarity and more details .
Can you screen shot the post?

Bigcat Enthusiast

@"Khan85" 
I saw the link abhisingh is speaking about, the weight looks to be estimated but that being said, YK was involved, can you ask him about it. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid027sk5YYssUVkWn8Y7QTkGFid1cLWkLVPagCquJGxiGMj5KDgmfmF7vTfKHVWjMewAl&id=628029648&eav=AfaL3qDEuDo_AHKiR31tsjTzzj3GXkAqS-249yX-mhpW3OnRpWKI_dEEUyAqqpmwcgQ&paipv=0
3 users Like Pckts's post