There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(10-08-2022, 01:04 AM)Jerricson Wrote: Some information on lions from Phinda GR , which I managed to get from the vet couple of weeks back.

*This image is copyright of its original author

@GuateGojira I think thats a record for the largest female cat captured but I'm not sure what would be the actual weight of that specimen , when accounting for the feed and measurement errors(implants) involved.

Great information! About the lioness, that is definitely not a normal specimen, surelly not a record but an abnormality created by hormones. Is like if a woman take esteroids!
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-08-2022, 01:26 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 01:04 AM)Jerricson Wrote: Some information on lions from Phinda GR , which I managed to get from the vet couple of weeks back.

@GuateGojira I think thats a record for the largest female cat captured but I'm not sure what would be the actual weight of that specimen , when accounting for the feed and measurement errors(implants) involved.

Great information! About the lioness, that is definitely not a normal specimen, surelly not a record but an abnormality created by hormones. Is like if a woman take esteroids!
Yeah, no doubt the Implants caused the abnormal weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7552215/

This again is another reason I dislike these Private Reserves.
4 users Like Pckts's post

BigLion39 Offline

(10-08-2022, 09:57 PM)Pckts Wrote: This again is another reason I dislike these Private Reserves.

I breezed through the article you linked. So what are the implants? Are they basically a bag of that drug that gets time released through many months? Is it like a pump? I've heard of humans having a pump or "implant" with an opiate like Morphine for pain management. Is it like that  but with hormones? And why do they do it to cats?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-09-2022, 10:02 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 09:57 PM)Pckts Wrote: This again is another reason I dislike these Private Reserves.

I breezed through the article you linked. So what are the implants? Are they basically a bag of that drug that gets time released through many months? Is it like a pump? I've heard of humans having a pump or "implant" with an opiate like Morphine for pain management. Is it like that  but with hormones? And why do they do it to cats?

My guess would be to make the Lioness more likely to produce cubs. Why they’d do this is unknown but I think because private reserves have limited “inventory” they probably need advantages to ensure their cats will produce they can restock or sell.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Mwarcaar Offline

250 kg lion from gorongosa national park Mozambique

the source comes from the description of the video
1 user Likes Mwarcaar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-09-2022, 02:52 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote: 250 kg lion from gorongosa national park Mozambique

No Scales on site during capture.

Mwarcaar Offline

(10-09-2022, 03:13 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 02:52 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote: 250 kg lion from gorongosa national park Mozambique

it's a question or a statement?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-09-2022, 08:46 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote:

Meaning the weight is likely estimated.

Mwarcaar Offline

(10-09-2022, 09:28 PM)Pckts Wrote:

we don't know and even if there were no scales on the capture site, they brought him back to the park center (chitengo camp) where I imagine they have all the necessary tools

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-09-2022, 10:32 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote:

we don't know and even if there were no scales on the capture site, they brought him back to the park center (chitengo camp) where I imagine they have all the necessary tools
They show the release, so it’s most likely not the case.

Mwarcaar Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-10-2022, 06:20 PM by Mwarcaar )

(10-10-2022, 12:10 AM)Pckts Wrote:

again we don't know and then if it needed video or photo proof for each wild lion or tiger weight then 90% of the weights on this website are estimates, because for most of the weights there are only paper documents and words and which in addition most of them are from the last century

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-10-2022, 06:05 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote:

again we don't know and then if it needed video or photo proof for each wild lion or tiger weight then 90% of the weights on this website are estimates, because for most of the weights there are only paper documents and words and which in addition most of them are from the last century

It's case by case. The same thing happened with Caesar. Everyone claimed he was weighed because Rueben said so but during the capture there was no weighing equipment on site. We finally reached out to them and they said he was never weighed since they had no equipment on hand. 
It's very rare to have video of the entire capture, so it's only natural to have questions when no weighing is shown. Especially when someone uses nice round numbers with no details and shuts comments off.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Mwarcaar Offline

(10-10-2022, 11:03 PM)Pckts Wrote:

It's case by case. The same thing happened with Caesar. Everyone claimed he was weighed because Rueben said so but during the capture there was no weighing equipment on site. We finally reached out to them and they said he was never weighed since they had no equipment on hand. 
It's very rare to have video of the entire capture, so it's only natural to have questions when no weighing is shown. Especially when someone uses nice round numbers with no details and shuts comments off.

unlike Caesar, it's not just anyone who claims 250 kg, here it's the gorongosa national park

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-11-2022, 04:39 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote:

unlike Caesar, it's not just anyone who claims 250 kg, here it's the gorongosa national park
No, its Paola Bouley. A “national park” doesn’t speak.

Mwarcaar Offline

(10-11-2022, 05:05 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 04:39 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote:

No, its Paola Bouley. A “national park” doesn’t speak.

in this case the word of paola bouley is the word of gorongosa national park. she is responsible for lion study and conservation in this park

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...8deQY6V_7r