There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

lionuk Offline
Contributor

A lion from Namibia and he was weighed 218kg. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like lionuk's post

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

229kg,264kg and 235kg male lions

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

weight for lions from kenya Lol

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

The weight of a lion is a fruitful source of argument. It is much greater than one is inclined to estimate. A nice male in the prime of life, neither fat nor having the developed muscle of an older beast, weighed 420 lb. as it fell.
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=Ilg0...l.&f=false

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

https://www.theadanews.com/news/local_ne...4d5df.html
12.9 big game 1.jpg
Ted Holt poses with a 600 pound lion he killed in South Africa. (Photo submitted)

Ada Evening News

By Justin Lofton

Staff Writer

ADA—Area hunter and entrepreneur Ted Holt brought down the “first of the five,” a 600 pound lion, from 30 yards with a compound bow.

On a 14-day hunting safari in September in South Africa with his wife, Evelyn, and friends Larry and Coleen Hutchings, Holt also shot a 1,500 pound cape buffalo. Together, Holt and Larry Hutchings harvested a total of nine animals and, after bagging the buffalo and lion, Holt said he wants to hunt the rest of the “Big Five.”

Holt is determined to hunt them with a compound bow.

“I’m going to attempt to kill the ‘Big Five’ with a bow and arrow, which hasn’t been done very many times,” he said. The “Big Five” includes the lion, cape buffalo, rhinoceros, elephant and leopard.

“I got two of them this last trip but I’m going to go back and try to get the elephant and the leopard,” Holt said. On his next trip, if he gets the other two animals in 14 days, he said he would extend his trip for another seven days to go after the rhino.

Holt said he was on the ground when he got the lion but was backed up by two professional guides in case something went wrong.

“They both have high-powered rifles. If something happens, they can take charge,” he said.

He said South African natives eat the meat produced by the hunts.

“The natives live strictly off of that wild game,” Holt said. “They eat everything that we kill. That’s how they survive.”

He said he’s been hunting since he was a boy. In the United States, he said he’s hunted white tail deer, hog, elk and even killed a brown bear in Alaska.

“I’ve hunted ever since I’ve been big enough to walk,” Holt said.

He said he’s strictly a bow hunter. While he doesn’t see anything wrong with guns, Holt said he simply prefers hunting with a bow.

“To think about getting within 30 yards of a cape buffalo and 30 yards of a lion ... it's quite a thrill,” he said. “I don’t drink, run around with wild women, gamble or smoke. I just hunt.” When he goes after the elephant, Holt said he has to be within 10 yards when he shoots.

Holt said he was happy with his guide, Kuche Safari, and intends to hunt with the same guide when he returns for the elephant and leopard.

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2021, 02:24 PM by BIGCATSXPERT )

Weight of south African and east African lions
Made by me(table, chart)
Greetings!

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

(10-29-2021, 02:23 PM)BIGCATSXPERT Wrote:

Weight of south African and east African lions
Made by me(table, chart)
Greetings!

You missed out on some sources (Bertram, 1976 and Almeida, 1990). 

Also, Caesar of Masai Mara wasn't weighed so that should be removed.

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

@"Khan85" I removed Bertram, 1976 and Almeida
As it included very sick individuals
I don't think a lion will average 155kg with n=22
That's not possible
Also Ceaser the lion was weighed
But not sure

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-29-2021, 09:56 PM)RedDevils Wrote: Recent Infos about the collared lion named READ ROAD MALE from Kruger

The male lion weighed 200-210 kg on a empty stomach, which is good and he still didnt reach his prime.

That's a good information my friend. The Red road male was considered to be one of the biggest lions that Manyeleti hasn't  seen in years
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-30-2021, 12:05 AM)RedDevils Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 11:01 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 09:56 PM)RedDevils Wrote: Recent Infos about the collared lion named READ ROAD MALE from Kruger

The male lion weighed 200-210 kg on a empty stomach, which is good and he still didnt reach his prime.

That's a good information my friend. The Red road male was considered to be one of the biggest lions that Manyeleti hasn't  seen in years

Hmm 205 kg on a empty stomach is 15 kg over the average empty belly south african male lion. So good sized but nothing special but maybe he will gain mass in future. Let me show you how big lions in these areas in Kruger can get. 

In Timbavati there were lions of 250 and 280 kg. The first was Mabande and the 2nd Lions Ximpoko. Note that from a small sample size but they were famous lions. Ximpoko was then hunted and Mabande was left alone and then had the old birmingham male as a partner but he was also hunted sadly. But the reasons they were all the time hunted shows how big they were. Ximpoko left and Mabande right.

You thought Ximpoko is already unbelievable? No indeed there was a famous lion collared recently by the same scientist that collared Ximpoko btw. He said it was the biggest lion he ever collared and therefore bigger than the 280 kg lion.

And in Madikwe there was the 258 kg empty bellied lion what is again huge. That would be on a gorged stomach 278-288 kg so similar to that of Ximpoko.

So there are definetely lions especially in Kruger NP(high population) that some might hit 300 kg(Full belly) as one lion from Kenya reached 272 kg on a empty stomach. 300 kg empty bellied... i doubt it unless its a very large lion in terms of BOTH length and height and of course it must be well fed.

Great information regarding Ximpoko weighed. Almero from the Timbavati HQ confirmed that he was weighed not only under his supervision. If not, under the supervision of a registered  veterininian. Ximpoko normal weighed would be around 250kg in normal circustances (empty stomatch

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-30-2021, 02:31 AM)RedDevils Wrote: Hello @peter . I have a question regarding the asiatic lions from Dr. Jhala and the lions collared by Willson.

In Jhalas study one lioness named F3 was 208 cm in Head-Body Length. Do you thinks its true? Its no impossible but still huge.

And a lioness here reached a HBL Length of 220 cm....

Im hopefully waiting for a answer. (Wasnt able to write you a PM because something is working.... a bit strange)
Rules for new members:
 1. By default you are restricted for 5 days and 5 posts. This is done to avoid the spammers and scammers from posting barred contents.

2. During this time, your every posts are kept in moderation. It will be only visible once a mod approve them. So once you post, please wait for sometimes.

3. You can not send PM to others for this period.

4. Once the the restriction duration and limitation passes away, you can post as normal member and all your post will be instantly published.
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

Reply from the desert lion conservation Trust
2 users Like BIGCATSXPERT's post

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2021, 02:04 PM by Charger01 )

(10-29-2021, 04:42 PM)BIGCATSXPERT Wrote: @"Khan85" I removed Bertram, 1976 and Almeida
That's not possible
But not sure

Bertram gave 187 kg (n = 11; range 167 to 204 kg) which is quite good and normal weight for lions, specially those belonging to the Panthera leo massaica subspecies. 

Also, I remember sharing the email conversation with Sheldrick Wildlife Trust who darted Caesar. They told that he wasn't weighed. So the weight number in the screenshot is, at best, an estimate from Reuben and hence cannot be included. 

3 users Like Charger01's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-30-2021, 02:31 AM)RedDevils Wrote: Hello @peter . I have a question regarding the asiatic lions from Dr. Jhala and the lions collared by Willson.

In Jhalas study one lioness named F3 was 208 cm in Head-Body Length. Do you thinks its true? Its no impossible but still huge.

And a lioness here reached a HBL Length of 220 cm....

Im hopefully waiting for a answer. (Wasnt able to write you a PM because something is working.... a bit strange)
Hi Red Devils. Welcome to WildFact forum. Hope  you enjoy of this website much as we do. Peter will be in leave for a few days. Behalf of Peter. This was his reply regarding your question.
The main reason is I'm not familiar with Jhala. I heard about him (he's the one who weighed a gorged 285kg tiger in Central India a few years ago), but I never read anything he published. I can only assume he, like most other biologists today, measures big cats 'over curves'. The way this method is applied is of some concern, because it can be done in different ways. In tigers, a century ago, the difference between a measurement taken 'between pegs' and one taken 'over curves' was 3-5 inches in an adult male. That is to say, if those involved in measuring tigers had a lot of experience. Unfortunately, this wasn't true for most hunters. This is the reason the difference between both methods usually was well over 6 inches in an average-sized male. 

As to the size of Indian lions. Half a century ago, adult males averaged 350-360 pounds and 8.6-8.7 in total length measured 'between pegs'. Today, like in tigers, they could be a tad larger. The reason is the population has grown (large populations produce more outliers than smaller populations). I also think the conditions have improved. Furthermore, Indian lions no longer have to fear for their existence. They have been offered a new chance and my guess is they know. Big individuals, last but not least, are no longer removed (shot) meaning they now have a chance to pass on their genes.  

If anything, Indian lions are a bit underrated. At the level of averages, Indian tigers (with adult males most probably over 450 pounds in their prime in most parts of southwestern, central, northern and northeastern India) are larger, but I've seen plenty of adult male Indian lions comparing quite nicely to a decent male Indian tiger.
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

(10-30-2021, 02:03 PM)Khan85 Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 04:42 PM)BIGCATSXPERT Wrote: @"Khan85" I removed Bertram, 1976 and Almeida
That's not possible
But not sure

Bertram gave 187 kg (n = 11; range 167 to 204 kg) which is quite good and normal weight for lions, specially those belonging to the Panthera leo massaica subspecies. 

Also, I remember sharing the email conversation with Sheldrick Wildlife Trust who darted Caesar. They told that he wasn't weighed. So the weight number in the screenshot is, at best, an estimate from Reuben and hence cannot be included. 
I already included bertram datas bro!
No.2 - serengeti NP
Ok I'm not sure about the ceaser thing