There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

About 3 year old lion. Tammy Hoth took various measurements of the lion while Fritz Schenk Junior, wrote down all the data. Lion guard Lazarus and a young man called Afrikaner from a nearby Lodge, stood on top of one of the vehicles with spotlights to keep an eye on the other two lions. Blood samples were taken, teeth and paws measured and photographed, photos of the whisker pattern and any wounds were taken and lastly the young male was weighed – 178 Kg.
https://namibiaoutdoor.com/finding-and-darting-lions-in-khoadi-hoas/
3 users Like TheLioness's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 12:31 AM by TheLioness )

https://phys.org/news/2015-07-lions-rwan...ation.html

The two males each weigh about 550 pounds (250 kilograms) and are known to have fathered at least 12 cubs. Andrew Parker, joint operations manager for African Parks, said he expected Akagera's lion population to grow "quite quickly."

I'm going to email and see if they had a actual weight. I'm not sure if this was posted. Excuse me if I post something I have already posted or someone else has. I have not been on here for awhile.

Twenty-one anaesthetic events of 17 free-ranging lions (5 males and 12 females, bodyweight105–211 kg)were studied in Zimbabwe.
Reversible anaesthesia of free-ranging lions (Panthera leo ) in Zimbabwe -
4 users Like TheLioness's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-27-2021, 12:28 AM)TheLioness Wrote: https://phys.org/news/2015-07-lions-rwan...ation.html

The two males each weigh about 550 pounds (250 kilograms) and are known to have fathered at least 12 cubs. Andrew Parker, joint operations manager for African Parks, said he expected Akagera's lion population to grow "quite quickly."

I'm going to email and see if they had a actual weight. I'm not sure if this was posted. Excuse me if I post something I have already posted or someone else has. I have not been on here for awhile.

Twenty-one anaesthetic events of 17 free-ranging lions (5 males and 12 females, bodyweight105–211 kg)were studied in Zimbabwe.

Estimated
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-27-2021, 12:55 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 12:28 AM)TheLioness Wrote: https://phys.org/news/2015-07-lions-rwan...ation.html

Estimated

As I said I'm going to email and see if they had a actual weight.
1 user Likes TheLioness's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 05:31 AM by Pckts )

(09-25-2020, 09:55 PM)Yusuf Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:26 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 08:32 AM)Yusuf Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 07:37 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 08:43 PM)Yusuf Wrote: Personally i dont agree that a adult male tiger has a minimum weight of 200 kg...
...According to Mazák, the average weight of Indian male tigers should fluctuate around 190 kg. (The most reliable max weights are a 258 kg male bengal tiger reported by mazak)
Mazák, 1983 (S. 178 ff.)

Best Regards.

Oh no, he means the weight range that atleast 70% of healthy adults fall within, that's how they're doing it now... the acreage itself is a range. Any 180kg or 280kg individuals are not in that.
WII data samples not only collectively outnumber all the others combined, but are also evenly spread over all India. Jhala's words carry more weight than anybody else's from 50 years ago.

Nonetheless, I think you should go through the old posts on this thread. Get a look at the specimens around with their weights.

Personally i used Mazak to prove that experts cant know the real weight of a male tiger. He described the male sibirian tiger as 230 kg on average whcih sint correct. There are even 120 kg lions described as healthy and adult. Anyways the datas on tigers are not really good. We have more datas for the tiger than for the lion but they arent really good. With good i mean datas with big sample size. 100% Conclusive datas for tigers are in my opinions Brander, Behar and maybe Hewett and that was it. Other datas are only reports and datas with small sampe sizes.

Best regards

And @GuateGojira im still waiting for a answer via privat message. I dont want to debate or something. I only corrected your method to get the average for lions and tigers that was it.

@Yusuf I think, that you shouldn´t use the word "correct" when you just disagree, but can´t prove your point in convincing way. 

Guate has clear tables and explanations which sources have been used and how so, that all readers can see it and check things if they want. 

I don´t think, that at this point guate has any need to prove something, when you haven´t been able to explain what would be really wrong in his charts.

So the they didn't weighed the lions... but he estimated 120-150 kg.

Best regards
@TheLioness
They’ve already been emailed, the weights are just a general estimate.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-27-2021, 05:27 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 08:43 PM)Yusuf Wrote: Personally i dont agree that a adult male tiger has a minimum weight of 200 kg...
...According to Mazák, the average weight of Indian male tigers should fluctuate around 190 kg. (The most reliable max weights are a 258 kg male bengal tiger reported by mazak)
Mazák, 1983 (S. 178 ff.)

Best Regards.

Oh no, he means the weight range that atleast 70% of healthy adults fall within, that's how they're doing it now... the acreage itself is a range. Any 180kg or 280kg individuals are not in that.
WII data samples not only collectively outnumber all the others combined, but are also evenly spread over all India. Jhala's words carry more weight than anybody else's from 50 years ago.

Nonetheless, I think you should go through the old posts on this thread. Get a look at the specimens around with their weights.

Personally i used Mazak to prove that experts cant know the real weight of a male tiger. He described the male sibirian tiger as 230 kg on average whcih sint correct. There are even 120 kg lions described as healthy and adult. Anyways the datas on tigers are not really good. We have more datas for the tiger than for the lion but they arent really good. With good i mean datas with big sample size. 100% Conclusive datas for tigers are in my opinions Brander, Behar and maybe Hewett and that was it. Other datas are only reports and datas with small sampe sizes.

Best regards

And @GuateGojira im still waiting for a answer via privat message. I dont want to debate or something. I only corrected your method to get the average for lions and tigers that was it.

@Yusuf I think, that you shouldn´t use the word "correct" when you just disagree, but can´t prove your point in convincing way. 

Guate has clear tables and explanations which sources have been used and how so, that all readers can see it and check things if they want. 

I don´t think, that at this point guate has any need to prove something, when you haven´t been able to explain what would be really wrong in his charts.

Best regards
@TheLioness

I'm not sure what quotes im reading because im not seeing anything about these two males? Are we sure they are regarding these two or two different males? Sorry if i missed something I have not seen it posted yet.

Thanks
1 user Likes TheLioness's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-27-2021, 05:58 AM)TheLioness Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 05:27 AM)Pckts Wrote:
Mazák, 1983 (S. 178 ff.)

Best Regards.

Best regards

Best regards
@TheLioness

I'm not sure what quotes im reading because im not seeing anything about these two males? Are we sure they are regarding these two or two different males? Sorry if i missed something I have not seen it posted yet.

Thanks

Post #132
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

163kg 4 year old Male

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Glad they could help this lion. I would say though with his injured foot that his weight deteriorated over the week, as they said he was dehydrated as well. Also i would say this lion looks younger than 4. His mane is very thin, unless its from a region for thinned maned lions.

I messaged and asked if they had any other weights as well.

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

7 users Like Charger01's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

Astonishingly big cats! 

I can’t find any images of Blaze, but here are some photos of Kalamas taken when he mysteriously lost his mane a few years ago (it regrew back within a few months):

https://www.lionrecoveryfund.org/stories/the-lion-who-lost-his-mane/
7 users Like LandSeaLion's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-16-2021, 01:46 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: Astonishingly big cats! 

I can’t find any images of Blaze, but here are some photos of Kalamas taken when he mysteriously lost his mane a few years ago (it regrew back within a few months):

What a huge male! Glad to see some very large males recently. Great for genetics to successfully protect the pride, as long as he isnt facing multiple males.

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

(08-18-2021, 05:59 PM)TheLioness Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 01:46 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: Astonishingly big cats! 

What a huge male! Glad to see some very large males recently. Great for genetics to successfully protect the pride, as long as he isnt facing multiple males.

After Blaze's death, Kalamas was a nomad who roamed a huge region encompassing the Ngorongoro crater, the Serengeti and surrounds. He hasn't been sighted since early 2019, so it's uncertain if he's still alive. That said, he did mate with lionesses from several prides. His tactic was to hang out on the fringes of pride territories waiting for such opportunities:

Quote:For the next few weeks we monitored his movements and he seemed to lay low, recovering, but you can’t keep a good lion down. Far from learning his lesson about encroaching on other male’s territories he has since been seen in the presence of other females from the Crater rim. His modus operandi seems to be to hang around on the periphery and entice the ladies away for a few days at a time. They just don’t seem to be able to get enough of him. Something about that Jon Snowesque mane of dark shaggy dark hair.

It is an interesting tactic. We ponder whether perhaps mating with pride females belonging to other males in this sneaky way may mean that when (and if) they give birth the resident male is duped into believing that Kalamas’s offspring are their own. It is certainly a great way for Kalamas to get as many females as possible but not have the burden of looking after any of the offspring.

It is certainly an unusual story and far from the norm. It remains to be seen if Kalamas was at all successful or if the resident males were harder to fool than he imagined. We are looking out for cubs with dark manes though.

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2019/...lone-lion/

He apparently now has a few known offspring that have reached sub-adulthood - 3 males in the Maswa game reserve and at least 1 male in Mwiba. They are growing up to be very large and healthy lions.
3 users Like LandSeaLion's post

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast
Thumbs Up 

(09-01-2021, 07:04 AM)GreatGorilla Wrote: Breaking News!

Recently the Black Dam male lion was collared by Timbavati and was said to be the heaviest they weighed in history. So i researched a bit and got contact with the ecologist of Timbavati (Almero Bosch) who collared the BDM lion and years ago the 283 kg lion ximpoko and 250 kg lion Mabande.

I asked him about the size of that lion and if they weighed him! Sadly they didnt weigh him but look what he said and that is enough!

So just imagine. That lion was even bigger than the giant Ximpoko who was 280 kg and the root circumference tells enough! That lion is definetely in the 300 kg range but not with a empty belly. But i think this lion was als heavy as kocks 272 kg empty stomach lion if not even heavier!

Here the pictures of this Giant:

And some might be interested about his body thickness. Well... let me compare him to one of the most robust lions i have seen. Here a gigantic ngorongoro crater male.. look at his body thickness, arms and shoulders.

But just look how thick BDM is... damn

A real giant.... nothing more to say tbh

Damn he is too thick, my estimates are around 300kg
Nice work Like

Russian Federation GreatGorilla Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2021, 10:17 AM by Rishi )

The epidemiology of tuberculosis in free-ranging lions in the Kruger National Park

At the start of this comparative study in November 1999, 16 uninfected lions were identified in the north of the Park and clinically evaluated. A comparable group of 16 infected lions were identified in the south of the Park and clinically evaluated. These two groups have been monitored intensively for the past four years. Currently there are still 8 of the original noninfected lions alive in the north of the Park, compared to 4 of the original infected southern group. Five of the southern lions died of advanced tuberculosis. The remaining seven died as a result of apparent social disruption in the prides after prominent members in the social hierarchy died of tuberculosis. Of the three study prides identified in the south only one pride still exists. In the far north all three female prides are still functional. The loss of mature territorial pride females and stabilizing male coalitions in the south, makes prides vulnerable to “take over” by healthy nomadic groups. The northern population had many more old lions (another female that had been branded in 1989 eventually died this year, and 7 lions that were branded in 1993 are still alive and well). Conversely, no lions older than 10 years could be identified in the south. Regarding haematology and blood chemistry, northern lions had better profiles in all parameters, when compared to southern lions. 

Northern adult lions are significantly heavier than their southern counterparts (Females: 118.37 kg versus 143.52 kg, males: 186.55 kg versus 200.01 kg). The sex ratio in the south is distorted: two males for every female. In the north it is one male for every two females. More cubs were born in the south but were killed or evicted during subsequent take-overs. 

Tenure of territorial male coalitions in the north is much longer than that of southern male coalitions 61 After three years of monitoring, the continued study of the effects of tuberculosis infection on these two lion populations was unfortunately delayed as a result of defective radio transmitters and poor quality collar strapping. These transmitters were meant to last five years, but did not live up to their advertised functional life. This necessitated the replacement of 19 radio collars. This was achieved during two mass capture operations: one in the south where 36 lions were captured and identified, and one in the north where 40 lions were captured and identified. Twenty-seven radio-tracking sessions were done during the period of report. 

NEW LION WEIGHTS

A 225 kg kruger lion from Dr. Peter Buss (Vet of SANparks)

230 kg for a Namibian Lion from the DESERT LION CONSERVATION TRUST. They weighed mostly females and sadly only few males.

2 users Like GreatGorilla's post