There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Weight and Measurements of Linda female (Linda means ''Beautiful'' in portuguese)

I already posted her weight here twice but not with this much details, She was one of the jaguars captured by CENAP/ICMBio at Estação Ecológica Taiamã - Cáceres - North Pantanal.

Year: 2014

Linda falling on the snaretrap.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Moment of the fright.

Checking out to make sure that Linda is really sedated because.... we never know.

Weight: 77.8 kg

Body length (without the tail) : 150 cm

Head Girth: 63 cm

Upper left canine length: 4.1 cm

Other Measurements of Linda

NOTE: not sure exactly the detailed measurement method of these from the protocol of CENAP/ICMBio.

Ear Length (left-right): 8.5 cm

Forepaw length (left-right): 9 cm

Forepad length: 9 cm

Foretoe length (left-right): 4 cm

Hind Footprint length (left-right): 11 cm

Hindpad length (left-right): 6 cm

Hindtoe length (left-right): 4 cm

Protocol Paper with Linda's datas

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Ben male from Belize 62.5 kg

https://www.panthera.org/blog/2016/06/22...ben-jaguar

Ben was captured with some stomach content and was said to be healthy.

Joares May was also part of Ben's capture during his work wildlife research trip to Belize.

credits: Joares May Jr / Panthera

Sighting of collared Ben male via camera traps on another day post capture.

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

@Dark Jaguar 
@Balam 

Do you guys know if there's a list that includes all the weighs reported of adult male jaguars from Pantanal? Just to calculate an accurate average for them

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(04-24-2021, 06:06 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: @Dark Jaguar 
@Balam 

Do you guys know if there's a list that includes all the weighs reported of adult male jaguars from Pantanal? Just to calculate an accurate average for them

Here is a full list of Pantanal jaguar weights plus three other populations.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

I am gonna drop this post paying homage to the Master and Legend Dr. Peter Crawshaw, some jaguars captured by him and other with his participation including statements by Crawshaw himself, such a humble guy.

Pita male from Porto Primavera

As he described him to be a very short jaguar in height but very thick, muscular robust with very impressive measurements.

I feel really greatful to have gotten the measurements from him of these 3 porto primavera jaguars (Pita, Zezão and Suely).

Crawshaw and Pita Porto Primavera male of 122 kg

Zezão male.

Something I didn't mention here in the forum Dr. Crawshaw said was that a few months before the capture of Zezão melanistic male there was another Dark male from Porto Primavera of 116 kg who was unfortunately killed in one of the farms.

These large dark jaguars clearly shows what Dr Crawshaw stated in one of his interviews that Porto Primavera region Used to produce the largest Melanistic Jaguars in the Planet

In addition to that, with the particular massive Dark melanistic male jaguar of 125 kg (Preto Pintado de Preto) unfortunately poached by Platero in Fazenda Santa Clara which was the whole reason I started my first ever conversation with Crawshaw about that specific large 125 kg Dark male jaguar from Porto Primavera that was killed in Faz. Santa Clara - Anaurilândia. Back then I was wondering if he could be from Cerrado but Crawshaw told me Faz. Santa Clara is neither At. Forest nor Cerrado, its was part of a very unique, reach in biodiversity mini biome akin to the Pantanal in the the Varjões do Paranazão called Porto Primavera which today it is unfortunately found underwater and the rest of the story you guys already know.

Zezão Porto Primavera male 110 kg.

These jaguars captured bellow Crawshaw accompanied their captures campaign.

Capture of Peter Schmidt male jaguar.

He was recaptured at Fazenda São Bento (São Bento farm) in Porto Jofre North Pantanal by Panthera with the researchers Alison Devlin, Fernando Tortato, Joares May and Peter Crawshaw himself and here are a few words by him about this capture.

Year: 2013

https://www.facebook.com/peter.crawshaw/...5174937663

Peter Crawshaw

''First capture of the campaign, on the first night: a recapture of a male first captured in 2010. Although not working for quite some time, both the collar and the neck of the animal were in perfect condition. The collar was replaced by a new one and it is now already transmitting the locations of this male, which this morning is 5 km from where he was captured and released (photos Dr. Jacqui Frair).''

Joares May and Fernando Tortato carrying the beast.

Joares May, Peter Crawshaw and Alison Devlin checking the jaguar's canines.

As additional information Dr. Crawshaw also mentions answering a few comments that the male jaguar was estimated to be 8 years old due to the yellowish of his teeth and he weighed 105 kg, 7 kg more than when he was first captured. A few months after his first capture the component of his GPS had been taken/ripped off as Crawshaw stated it was possibly due to fights.

Alison Devlin and Peter Crawshaw collecting the male jaguar Peter Schmidt's datas.

Its also worth noting that after receiving many congratulations from people and friends He mentions that ''who deserves the credits of these captures is the new generation of biologists with their hard flawless work on the project and he has only been accompaning their work that now its theirs the hard task and responsability to protect not only the jaguars but the nature in general during times that the future of conservation is even more uncertain in the face of the omni-present challenge of more and more people in the world and, as a rule, governments that still think we can live without natural resources. Each one of us must do our part and believe, be optimistic - it's this, or this... The worst is unthinkable.''

Great words.

Capture of Teo (Adriano) male at Fazenda São Bento - North Pantanal

Year: 2012

Campaign to capture jaguar in North Pantanal - October 2012.

photo from the Left to Right ( Peter Crawshaw, Joares May, Rafael Hoogesteijn, Fernando Tortato, Rafael's Daughter (correct me if I am wrong) and Alison Devlin )

photo credits: Rafael's wife Mirtha Carpio

The Capture of Teo.

October 2012

Peter Crawshaw

''Teo, the newest male jaguar with collar in Fazenda São Bento, captured last night, weighing 130 kg.''

According to Joares May they were after him for 5 days.

Teo's capture photo - From left to right ( Joares May, Alison Devlin and Peter Crawshaw )

Photo taken by Fernando Tortato

Capture of Ísis female or Teo's girfriend as Dr. Crawshaw stated.

Here's what Crawshaw said about ísis capture as well as the mention of Teo male.

Year: 2012

Peter Crawshaw

''And didn't we happened to capture Teo's girlfriend tonight? The two were together and we almost had to anesthetize the big guy (Teo) again. But Joares was calm and ''cold-blooded'', he anesthetized the female and we took her to work calmly away from the male. In the end, everything ended well, the campaign was extremely productive: one collar removed and a resident couple mating pair who were previously without collars and now monitored. And as an observation which shows that the collar really does not interfere in the behavior of the animals: in less than 24 hours after she had been anesthetized and received the collar, Teo was already reunited with the female again.''

ísis female capture photo - From left to right ( Fernando Tortato, Peter Crawshaw, Alison Devlin and Joares May )

ísis waking up from sedation

Peter Crawshaw

https://www.facebook.com/peter.crawshaw/...5072385718

''Isis, in full recovery from the anesthesia, already dawning the day of a new life contributing to the conservation of the species in the Pantanal. And if all goes well, sometime in January, we will be watching - from afar, without interfering - her caring of a new offspring!''

Here is the footage registered by a TV team in Porto Jofre of Teo and ísis seeng together mating, both collared.

This particular jaguar bellow he told me a while ago on our private conversation that he was an old male he captured at the Santa Tereza farm, in Baía Vermelha, on the banks of the Paraguay River, in February 2007.

Gediendson

Year: 2013

''Third Female Captured at Faz. São Bento! Its a Dream come true capturing a jaguar with Dr. Peter Crawshaw Jr.''

Peter Crawshaw and Atlantic Forest female Jaguar in the 90's at Iguaçú Parque - South Brazil.

She might likely be the ''troublemaker'' CG female.

Lastly he was finishing writing his book and in December last year he finished the last chapter of the creative write and there was only one chapter left to be finished, I'm not sure if he really did finished it but I'll keep an eye to see any news if the book gets published so you all stay tuned about his book.

Jaguar Enthusiast

Yesterday April 28th was the Caatinga biome day so I am gonna drop this majestic healthy 5 years old caatinga male jaguar of 37 kg captured in Serra das Capivaras (PI) on the campaign by CENAP/ICMBio.

credits: Gediendson

Moment of sedation of a wild Caatinga jaguar in Boqueirão da Onça - North Bahia.

Sedation by blowpipe.

By Gedienson

VIDEO

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

What is the source of this excerpt?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-09-2021, 09:06 AM)tigerluver Wrote:

What is the source of this excerpt?

Almeida
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

From the field study by Peter G. Crawshaw and Howard Quigley Jaguar spacing activity and habitat use in seasonally flooded environment in Brazil

Weight and Measurements of jaguars captured in Miranda Ranch - Pantanal.

Check for more details in the study.

Measure method: Between the Pegs

Taking advantage I am gonna make a clarification here on the shoulder height measurement I was informed on the Porto Primavera jaguars.

About the shoulders height measure Dr. Crawshaw didn't tell me if it was ''from the tip of the paw, with extended paw, from heel...'' or anything like that so I don't know about that detail but I am sure it was done the right way.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

M&M's third capture, 118 kg.

@KRA123 you might be interested on this one.

In February 2019 M&M male (Matheus Manco) was recaptured by Onças do Rio Negro project in South Pantanal for the third time but I never knew how big he really was on that particular capture.

Thanks to Carlão Csermak who mentioned his weight after the capture.

Carlão Csermak

''Thankful to the universe for having the opportunity to be back working in the conservation field!

Recapture of Manco (118 kg!) for collar change. I haven't forgotten how unique this sensation is.

Every jaguar is the first.''

He looks empty.

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 10:43 AM by tigerluver )

Other than the Almeida hunting book, are there any published scientific records of the chest girth and body length of wild jaguars? I've found even a couple scientific records for every large cat but no luck in the jaguar department unfortunately.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 03:28 PM by Balam )

(05-20-2021, 10:33 AM)tigerluver Wrote: Other than the Almeida hunting book, are there any published scientific records of the chest girth and body length of wild jaguars? I've found even a couple scientific records for every large cat but no luck in the jaguar department unfortunately.

The other great source for jaguar measurements comes from Hoogesteijn's "El Tigre Americano"

Measurements of Venezuelan females, this includes Llanos and other areas, adults and sub-adults:

Largo total: total length
Largo de cuerpo: body length

Straight lines of course

Venezuelan males, notice that the males from Falcón and Amazonas states are not Llanos specimens, those lower the average.

Adult females and sub adult females and males from the Pantanal, primary source comes from Crawshaw and Quigley

Central American jaguars, primary source Robinowitz.
Circunferencia cabeza: head circumference
Altura a la cruz: whiters height
Altura lomo: hip height

Adult Pantanal male and females, primary source Schaller and Vasconcelos

Venezuelan females weight

1 user Likes Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-23-2021, 04:34 PM by Balam )

@Dark Jaguar @Pckts @epaiva @peter @Lycaon @KRA123

I know you guys are going to like this one, specially epaiva and Lycaon who seem to like the Llanos jaguars as much as I do.

I have the first weight information of a Llanos jaguar that's recent and from the Colombian side!

I was having a conversation today with Jorge Barragán the owner of Hato la Aurora concerning all the international press received recently which can be seen in the Llanos jaguar thread, and among the things we discussed was the weight of this female that was collared:

Her name is Aurora she was collared in 2018 at the age of two years where she weighed 70 kg! And according to him she's in much better condition now with her own son Jojoto, he tells me he thinks she probably weighs around 90 kg based on how well fed she is:

As DJ and Pckts probably know Aurora female from Caiman Ecological Refuge was named in tribute to Hato la Aurora when they went over there with Panthera as part of their ecotourism studies, in exchange they gave the name of Esperanza to a female from La Aurora which is the name of one of the main matriarchs from Caiman, so the Esperanzas and Auroras from both ranches are connected as tributes to both areas.

@tigerluver did a really good job in the size comparisons thread estimating the size proportions of Mapire male in contrast to a Brahman cow that had passed by in the same area:

Based on the data I was able to gather for the rump/hip height of cattle including Brahman, Mapire likely measures anywhere in between 75 to 85 cm in shoulder height depending on the height of the cow in the picture who is a mature one. Mr. Barragán told me that Mapire was not the largest male from the ranch, he thinks Cachilapo, Caricare and Faculto are larger than him, pictures of those males are posted in the Llanos jaguar thread but I will repost Cachilapo because I genuinely think he's massive:

Cachilapo:

Mapire is very big on his own right as well:

So based on all of this information I think it's safe to assume that this jaguars are easily just as big as those from the areas of the Pantanal where they grow really large like Caiman Ecological Refuge or Fazenda Barranco Alto, in fact Rafael Hoogesteijn said exactly that on a live with Panthera.

I'm more than excited to see what values these males show when they get captured, such a fascinating area.
7 users Like Balam's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

@Balam

What is the longest head-body length ever recorded for a Jaguar (tail excluded)?

Jaguar Enthusiast

94 kg Guasú Atlantic Forest male and about the accident when he was unfortunately ran over by a Truck in Misiones.

https://www.facebook.com/kaue.cachubadea...4108738942

July 2014

Proyecto Yaguareté

''WE LOST ANOTHER YAGUARETÉ IN MISIONES, AGAIN A ROAD KILL.''

''This Monday July 21st around 2 pm a truck of the company Viana y Viana Transporte y Logística ran over and killed a jaguar on Provincial Route 19, 2 km from the Uruzú detachment inside the Uruguaí Provincial Park.

This jaguar was an old acquaintance of our Project, it was recorded by our camera traps for the first time in 2010 in the Iguaçú National Park and we had named it Guasú. His territory covered the south of the Iguaçú National Park, the San Jorge Forest Reserve and part of the Uruguaí Provincial Park. Guasú was a 94 kg adult male in excellent health and in full reproductive age.

Currently there are about 50 adult jaguars left in the entire Misiones Green Corridor. This male is the third jaguar to be run over in the last two years in northern Misiones which is a huge loss for the critically endangered population of the species. Although in the last year some measures have been taken to reduce the number of road killings in Misiones, it is evident that they are neither effective nor sufficient and they are not being implemented with the urgency that the case deserves.''

Transport Truck that ran over the 94 kg Atlantic Forest male Jaguar.

''Map made by the Provincial Park Rangers showing the hit and run points and the route of the truck. We congratulate the Park Rangers for their commitment and work.''

''Researchers from the Yaguarete Project performing a necropsy for the study of diseases in the roadkill jaguar.''

''Taking measurements of the dead Jaguar.''

''First record of Guasú in Iguaçú National Park in 2010.''

''Last record of Guasú with our camera-trap on July 6, 2014, in the San Jorge Forest Reserve that connects the Iguaçú National Park with the Uruguai Provincial Park where he was run over.''