There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@peter @Balam @Pckts @Rage2277 @TheNormalGuy  @GuateGojira and others

Pantanal Jaguars from Estação Ecológica de Taiamã.

After kindly sending me those 117 jaguars weight, The Chief of CENAP/ICMBio Ronaldo Morato sent me another scientifically published datas of the weights of all Pantanal jaguars captured in Estação Ecológica de Taiamã for that campaign including males and females which resulted in this study on the link bellow

OCUPAÇÃO DE ÁREAS ALAGADAS POR ONÇAS-PINTADAS: MONITORAMENTO POR COLAR GPS NA ESTAÇÃO ECOLÓGICA DE TAIAMÃ,CÁCERES-MATO GROSSO

file:///C:/Users/PC/AppData/Local/Temp/OCUPA%C3%87%C3%83O%20DE%20%C3%81REAS%20ALAGADAS%20POR%20ON%C3%87AS-PINTADAS%20-%20MONITORAMENTO%20POR%20COLAR%20GPS%20NA%20ESTA%C3%87%C3%83O%20ECOL%C3%93GICA%20DE%20TAIAM%C3%83,%20C%C3%81CERES-MATO%20GROSSO.pdf

THE TABLE

NOTE: Anderson Silva male was captured 3 times and Wendy female was captured 2 times.

*This image is copyright of its original author

102 kg Fião male

(Foto: Acervo ESEC Taiamã)

102 kg Fião male getting collared.

The CENAP/ICMBio team during the campaign of captures, you can see Ronaldo Morato on the middle left wearing a flashlight on his forehead. Such great guy.

I was looking for these jags weights in a long time.

@Balam

We'll add them all to the table, including the females for the female's jaguars table.
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-29-2021, 11:43 PM by Balam )

One thing to clarify for transparency purposes is that the GPS Study that I initially posted on my Chaco table compilation does belong to different regions where jaguars were captured as shown in the map included in the post, they're not all from the Atlantic Forest, the screenshots with green highlights from the DJs list are mine where I tried to highlight those captures I thought were from the Pantanal based on the people who made them. 

So far the weights included for Chaco specimens hold ground because I was able to match the collars mentioned in the file with those from the study Space use and movement of jaguar (Panthera onca) in western Paraguay, by McBride and Thompson, where most of the captures were done in the humid and dry areas of the Chaco, but I'm waiting for certain confirmation on some details from the dataset to reaffirm those weights as belonging to the specimens captured in the aforementioned study. I will update when that happens.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-28-2021, 07:03 PM by Dark Jaguar )

About the At. Forest statement , my post have already been edited.

Some individuals sourced by Fernando Azevedo are the jaguars captured by Pró-Carnívoros.

The ones by Laury Curren are At. Forest

The one by Leandro and Anah are from cerrado - (the 80 kg male is probably Jacuba.)

The ones sourced by Crawshaw,Tortato and Hoogestejan are captured by Panthera

The ones by Rogério de Paula and Mario Haberfeld are pantanal ones.

There are other ones to check.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-29-2021, 12:24 AM by Balam )

(01-27-2021, 01:43 AM)Balam Wrote: I have finally managed to get my hands on data from the Chaco! @Dark Jaguar @peter @Pckts, and the rest of interested viewers.

This data comes from the study: Jaguar movement database: a GPS‐based movement dataset of an apex predator in the Neotropics, almost every single renowned jaguar biologist like Hoogesteijn, Tortato, Crashaw et al. Collaborated in the formulation of this public database which I have attached here. It contains the weights for jaguars fro multiple locations that we can discuss here:

For the data on the jaguars from the Chaco I contacted the biologist Jeffrey Thompson, whose done most of the captures of jaguars in Paraguay, and utilized the data with his name on it to create a table for Chaco specimens. Please keep in mind that some of the weights may belong to jaguars from the Paraguayan Pantanal or Atlantic Forest as the captured locations were not inputted in the file, but as far as I know he's only done captures in the Chaco so I'm quite confident these are all from that biome. Here it is:

EDITED

This jaguar that I posted recently was captured by him and I'm assuming is ID:10, as he confirmed to me he weighed 110 kg:

Just as I stated before, jaguars from the Chaco grow similar in size to those from the Cerrado, both populations producing jaguars capable of reaching or surpassing 110 kg in weight. I'm hopeful we will get more data from them in the future, we're lacking plenty from Bolivia.

I finally have the official data for jaguars from the Chaco in Paraguay, the biologist Rocky McBride sent me his study PROJECT JAGUAR Final REPORT 2002 – 2011 FARO MORO ECO RESEARCH, in which the weights of multiple jaguars from the Chaco, Pantanal, and Atlantic Forest of Paraguay are included. Here are the tables:

The area Fortin Patria is located in the Pantanal, Mbaracaju, and Morombi in the Atlantic Forest, the rest is Chaco:

The jaguars from the Paraguayan Pantanal here will be added to the Pantanal table.

Further information on the areas studied, it appears as though the state of jaguars in here is very similar to that of jaguars in Brazil last century, where many are killed for consuming cattle in retaliatory attacks, plus severe habitat loss:

Some males from Faro Moro here.

Captures images:

The next post will be the compilation table for this population, which will include the data from this study, the jaguar Qaramta from Argentina, and the male jaguar captured recently by Jeffrey Thompson that I mentioned before. He's not in this study as this study ran until 2011 and that particular jaguar was captured between 2016 and 2017.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-15-2021, 09:42 PM by Balam )

WEIGHT CHART FOR CHACOAN JAGUARS

Last update: Feb 15, 2021

2 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-29-2021, 07:31 AM by Balam )

I was right once again, Qaramta was recaptured this month and he went from 108 kg to 114 kg! Therefore he is the heaviest Chacoan jaguar on recent records, and as seen by the footage of his capture he was completely empty bellied, screenshot after someone asked for his weight:

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-29-2021, 05:53 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Young Central Pantanal male named Joujou reaches 87 kg, got recovered and is finally released back to the wild.

Like Ousado and Amanaci, Joujou was also rescued from the fires in Pantanal.

Joujou was rescued in November last year in the region of Serra do Amolar Pantanal, RPPN Acurizal - Central Pantanal, one of the most preserved areas of the entire Pantanal Wetlands.

Serra do Amolar - Central Pantanal.

Joujou was rescued along with another central pantanal male jaguar who was even more impaired and damaged by the fires in Pantanal but Unfortunately a few hours after arriving at CRAS the other male didn't resist and died.

Joujou is approximately 2 years old and after the rescue he was recovering for 3 months in CRAS, a rehab center for wild animals in Mato Grosso do Sul, he arrived despite with the burned paws, he was also with 75% of his lungs damaged by the big amount of smoke he inhaled while running from the burning Pantanal, Joujou even had Pneumonia.

He arrived at CRAS weighing 67 kg.

Joujou didn't give up and fought to survive.

Joujou's paws comparison on when he arrived at CRAS and when he was recovered after 3 months

With the wounds healed and his entire respiratory system already established, the jaguar was discharged

Joujou is ready to be back to where he belongs. In Central Pantanal.

Before the release Gediendson made sure to keep the collar a bit loose (but not too loose, he said) since Joujou will gain weight.

Weighing 87 kg and 2 years old, the Central Pantanal male is finally back.

EDIT: Fresh news on Joujou, According to the biologist Sérgio Barreto coordinator of environmental monitoring from the Institute Homem Pantaneiro the first datas of Joujou after he was released is that he already predated on a Capybara, swam and crossed the Paraguay river, that shows he was successfully recovered.

https://www.acritica.net/editorias/geral...tr/502116/
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Wilson Pantanal male 115 kg.

Yesterday I watched a video from 2012 by a brazilian TV about jaguars in Porto Jofre and its tourism with a brief interview of Fernando Tortato at Panthera headquarters (link bellow), in the video I saw a collared male that I am quite familiar with and I didn't know he was captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPVwVb9H5aE

Collared Wilson male with a female.

So I had to get his weight with Tortato.

Wilson

I thought Wilson was gonna be between 100-107 kg but he is actually larger than I thought Laughing

Wilson relaxing at river bank near Porto Jofre.

Year: 2009

Massive Head.

@Balam

ID: Wilson
Weight: 115 kg
Area: N.Pantanal
Source: Panthera

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

I had a conversation with one of the workers at BJWT who confirmed to me that Sol and his son both weight 100 kg:

Here is Sol in all his glory:

It is likely that they are pure or close to pure to the Mexican genotype since melanism is relatively common among Central and North American jaguars, especially considering that the sanctuary in located in Mexico City.

Jaguar Enthusiast

43 kg eastern Amazonic male.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ambiente/2...ufpa.shtml

Captured for study by Researchers of Federal University of Pará in the region of Paragominas - northeast Pará - Brazil. An area extremely deforested by for livestock, logging and other purposes.

The first individual captured for the project of monitoring in degraded areas was a young male, in Paragominas (PA).

His age is between 3-4 years old and weight of 43 kg captured in October 2019, it was 8 months following the movements of the big cat, with register of 2.230 points of GPS in an area of 250 km2.

In Mid July last year the colla's battery died and it opened automatically.

''After we got all GPS datas, we'll make a mapping of his route, type of habitat, distance from the river, movements and urban areas'' said the researcher Ana Cristina de Oliveira.

''We need to know if they stay only in the forest or if they're approaching farms where they look for resources. As they're surviving on an area where the landscape is changing very fast. We don't know when this landscape will collapse and to know this dynamic is fundamental to know what to do to preserve these populations'' she explained.

Brazil Sergio.Diniz Offline
New Join

I just joined the space. I am an enthusiast of wildlife and specially jaguars. I have seen several information about the largest male jaguars ever, over 150kg, but not heard about the largest female pantanal jaguars. Where can I find more information on that? Thanks,

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(02-11-2021, 04:48 PM)Sergio.Diniz Wrote: I just joined the space. I am an enthusiast of wildlife and specially jaguars. I have seen several information about the largest male jaguars ever, over 150kg, but not heard about the largest female pantanal jaguars. Where can I find more information on that? Thanks,

Welcome Sergio, we have a collected dataset for female Pantanal jaguars here. Per the official weight provided to us by the Oncafari team, Troncha with a weight of 100 kg would be the heaviest female on record, although during her capture she yielded a weight of 110 kg which was included in the paper Mercury content in the fur of jaguars (Panthera onca) from two areas under different levels of gold mining impact in the Brazilian Pantanal by Tortato et al:

Brazil Sergio.Diniz Offline
New Join

(02-12-2021, 12:56 AM)Balam Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 04:48 PM)Sergio.Diniz Wrote: I just joined the space. I am an enthusiast of wildlife and specially jaguars. I have seen several information about the largest male jaguars ever, over 150kg, but not heard about the largest female pantanal jaguars. Where can I find more information on that? Thanks,

Welcome Sergio, we have a collected dataset for female Pantanal jaguars here. Per the official weight provided to us by the Oncafari team, Troncha with a weight of 100 kg would be the heaviest female on record, although during her capture she yielded a weight of 110 kg which was included in the paper Mercury content in the fur of jaguars (Panthera onca) from two areas under different levels of gold mining impact in the Brazilian Pantanal by Tortato et al:

Excellent material! Thank you very much!

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Some males from Pantanal, all of them are in the 91–140 kg range.
This just shows that Pantanal Jaguars are the largest of their species

134 kg male but only 4 years old

Alleged 140 kg found dead

110 kg Male

Alleged 130+ kg

115 kg

Another 115 kg one.

123 kg

This should be the 158/159 kg monster record from old hunting if I remember correctly Likely the size of a lioness!

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Sergio! What a surprise to see you here! I am Andrea Vitanza from Quora the guy who sent you some size comparisons