There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

From Sun Destinations, White Lioness Spotted Mating with Trilogy Male:
This is breaking news if there ever was any: One of the Trilogy male lions was seen mating with a white lioness this morning, as guests at Africa on Foot and nThambo Tree Camp enjoyed front row seats! It’s not everyday we get to witness the rare white lion unique to this region in Africa, and to watch them (hopefully!) procreating is a real bonus. Having the freedom to roam the Kruger, the Trilogy males and the Giraffe Pride have moved around to where they would be most comfortable during the drought, and now, after a bit of rain, we’ve the lions nearer their old territory.

*This image is copyright of its original author

The Trilogy is assumed to have lost one of its members. The last sighting of the third male showed him in a poor condition, after battling through the drought with an injured hip, and the remaining two males have since been seen without him. These male lions were seen last week feeding on a buffalo carcass with the Giraffe Pride and their cubs (sired by the Trilogy), and since leaving the carcass, one Trilogy male has partnered off with one of the white lionesses and the happy couple wandered back into our traverse.

A second Giraffe lioness was seen with them, and it is thought that she might also be in oestrus and waiting to mate with the dominant male lion. The sun was rising with a perfect glow, capturing the lions in the best light and giving the Africa on Foot and nThambo guests a superb show.

The furious growling and snarling sounds penetrated the air, and the flirtatious flicking of the lioness’ tail demonstrated just what her intentions were. The pair of lions will dutifully mate over several days at regular 20-minute intervals, becoming a tiresome, yet necessary part of life at the top of the food chain!

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Singapore Skybed Offline

@Majingilane

bro any idea of their age? cause the pictures shows a bit of age even though i thought they were still relatively young.
1 user Likes Skybed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:bro any idea of their age? cause the pictures shows a bit of age even though i thought they were still relatively young.
I think they're around 10-11 years old. And yes, I agree, their faces show a bit of age. Still, I love the extensive scarring their faces have. They're amazing.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Kambaku River Sands:
White lion action the last few day. The Trilogy male mated with both Ross break away females and started with 3 different females from the Giraffe pride. Both white females have been seen mating with this male.

He's been having so much action he'll be depleted!!... Totally worth it, don't you think? Grin
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I have some questions about Timbavati and Kruger in general.

I was just at the mirage secret gardens and their lions are white lions from Timbavati.
What is Timbavati?
Is it just a private reserve and they inbreed their white lions and ship them to the states or other facilities?

Also, when I was just at the SD wild animal park, the elephants and lions were from Kruger, which is essentially, Timbavati.
What are these places??
Is kruger and Timabavati the places where they allow canned hunting and sell their lions to other places?
If so, why are these places allowed to do this?
2 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:What is Timbavati?
Based off my limited knowledge because, after all, I don't live there, Timbavati is a private reserve, like the others from which we post info. It is to the north of the Sabi Sands reserve and it's connected to the Kruger park, but I don't think it's inside the Kruger.

Quote:Is kruger and Timbavati the places where they allow canned hunting and sell their lions to other places?

I am aware that hunting happens in Timbavati, possibly also in the Kruger. I guess the reason for it is profit, possibly by the ones that run the place. But I don't really know for certain.

Quote:Is it just a private reserve and they inbreed their white lions and ship them to the states or other facilities?
Now, I do not think they sell the wild lions, white or not, to zoos and other places. 

But, it may be possible that the animals you saw came from places that are called "farms" where they raise lions, maybe to sell them and/or to used them to practice that canned hunting.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Africa on Foot:
The dominant Trilogy male turns is handsome, maned head to look back at his admirers as he and his two lionesses move into the thicket.

Illuminated in the morning's sun rays, this Trilogy male is one impressive King of the Jungle! 

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Sundestinations, Week in Pictures: Changing Season
"A spectacular capture of a Trilogy male lion seen in the spotlight during a night drive."

From Umlani Bushcamp:
"One of the Trilogy males wakes up and takes a moment to give us a stare in between mating bouts with one of the Ross breakwaway lionesses. He has been a busy male the last few weeks mating with a few of the giraffe pride females too."

5 users Like Ngala's post

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(04-06-2016, 11:00 PM)Pckts Wrote: I have some questions about Timbavati and Kruger in general.

I was just at the mirage secret gardens and their lions are white lions from Timbavati.
What is Timbavati?
Is it just a private reserve and they inbreed their white lions and ship them to the states or other facilities?

Also, when I was just at the SD wild animal park, the elephants and lions were from Kruger, which is essentially, Timbavati.
What are these places??
Is kruger and Timabavati the places where they allow canned hunting and sell their lions to other places?

Kruger is vast national park about 14000 km2 (about the area of Northern Ireland ) that is administered by SANPARK the South African National Parks agency, it is government run, hunting is not allowed, and "selling" wild caught animals does not happen from there, a particular animal may be placed in captivity for one reason or another but not commercial.
Timbavati is a private resort adjacent to Kruger NP ( to the west ) where some animal movement between Kruger and Timbavati is possible, the reserve draws revenue from safari tourism and HUNTING , and white lions occur there, Timbavati lions are not 100% free-ranging , humans care for them in part and select white lions and larger lions as these are more in demand by tourists and hunters.
Pretty much every animal you see in a North American or European zoo is a captive born animal from known parents registered in international studbooks.
Unaccredited facilities may buy wild caught animals but importing these to North America or Europe is very restricted
4 users Like Dr Panthera's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Great info, thanks for the clarification. My nest question is this, how could the sd wild animal park claim their animals to be from Kruger?
3 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(04-09-2016, 05:18 AM)Pckts Wrote: Great info, thanks for the clarification. My nest question is this, how could the sd wild animal park claim their animals to be from Kruger?

Kruger used to be fenced on the west side, this fence was taken down and it helps transient animals to disperse from there to neighboring private reserves like Timbavati, Klaserie, Sabi Sands, and Mala Mala among others so it could be that an animal originated in Kruger , migrated west to a reserve, was captured and sold to unaccredited facility, it could be also that the animal is captive born with known genealogy and it is a descendant of Kruger animals. They could also mean from the Greater Kruger system.
The accredited zoos in many countries in the world participate in a Species Survival Plan where international studbooks are kept and the parents of each animal are documented, the participating zoos ensure the purity of the genetic make up of a given subspecies and exchange breeding animals to prevent inbreeding.
The issue of animal parks, private collections, roadside zoos, and circus animals is of grave concern, any human who wants to possess wild endangered animal should only allowed to do so if the strictest measures for the health, welfare, and breeding that allows species integrity are all in place and officially inspected and regulated.
4 users Like Dr Panthera's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

You'd think the private reserves would be the ones to be fenced unless they specifically block corridors.

I hate the idea of a lion or any animal only having "partial protection."
3 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Dr Panthera #39:

I don't like at all this idea of partial protection and this way to make business and to manage the protection of an endangered species. I suppose that is unavoidable in the modern world to always consider a wild animal as a market value and not as a - I don't know how to say that exactly in english - living work, perhaps even a living masterpiece.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Singapore Skybed Offline

not to mention the pain and sufferings these poor animals have to go through Sad

I have seen clips of these magnificent animals minding their own business only to be shot by cowards hiding in one corner. I bet they don't even know what hit them.

The fact that some people find joy and excitement watching animals suffer is beyond me. Why can't humans just leave them in peace.
5 users Like Skybed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Pondoro Game Lodge:
A video of the Mohlabetsi male lion coalition taken by one of the Pondoro guides during safari drive early morning on the 27th of March 2016. Young male lions usually get chased away from the pride by their fathers sometime between reaching 2 -4 years of age. This usually happens as soon as their fathers start seeing them as a threat to their dominance. Life for these outcasts are extremely tough and few survive to adulthood. They live on the fringes of their natal pride’s territory evading the territorial male lions while trying to find food and fed themselves. This is an arduous task as hunting with very little hunting experience is hard and they often are not be in the best physical condition. Their chances of survival improve exponentially if accompanied by brothers or other young males of similar age. Coalitions are now formed and forged that will last for the rest of their lives. It is also the only time that young males will allow strangers to join their group as there is a direct correlation between the size and strength of the coalition.

These young males will be big and strong enough to start looking at acquiring a territory of their own at about 5 years of age, if fortunate enough to survive that long. The Mohlabetsi male, who is the oldest male in this video, seems to have thrown the rule book out of the window with first splitting from this coalition brother Kudyela when he took control of the Mohlabetsi pride’s territory, while Kudyela got a territory and pride of his own further to the west. The Mohlabetsi male then allowed an unrelated young male lion of roughly 2 years old to stay with the Mohlabetsi pride and he eventually formed a coalition with this youngster. He then went a step further and seem to have allowed his own sons to stay as well, prolonging his reign as the differences in age amongst this male lion coalition should provide protection from rival males even he gets older.

The elaborate greeting ceremony shown on this video of the lions rubbing their heads helps to reinforce the bond between the males and shows the affinity and goodwill that the bigger male have for his younger partners.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post