There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

I read there is a fight between Matshipiris Vs Matimbas and one of the Mhageni break away lioness also involved..
anybody has updates?
4 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

MALAMALA TODAY: December 1st. 

Dawn this morning was heralded by the reverberations of lions roaring, emanating from 4 different locations. The distance between 2 of these points was decreasingly rapidly and what followed was but a chapter in the book of lion warfare. 3 lion sightings (2 of which became 1): the Clarendon (MATIMBA) males, Matshapiri males and 1 lioness from the Marthly Breakaway (MHANGENI) pride where involved in a tense drawn out altercation. Who won? It's not clear. Both coalitions had their moments. What was the role of the lioness? This is also open to interpretation but she ended up fighting and then mating with the Matshapiri males. We will share more on this sighting as soon as we can.

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

This huge male lion from Kruger has been in Kirkman's Kamp, Mala Mala and in Sabi Sabi over the last few weeks. It remains to be seen what his next move will be!!!
Photo by: Mary Nicklaus 
Photo TakenNeutralovember 2016

He's in Charleston's territory

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Gamiz's post

United States jacksonsmash Offline

can anyone give me info on the sand river pride? are they in mala mala/sabi sands.........how many females/cubs/do they have any pride males?
2 users Like jacksonsmash's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2016, 05:14 PM by Ngala )

(12-03-2016, 04:59 PM)jacksonsmash Wrote: can anyone give me info on the sand river pride? are they in mala mala/sabi sands.........how many females/cubs/do they have any pride males?

The pride males were the Toulon males, but the last remaining Toulon male (Shy Toulon) has left the pride. There are 3 adult females, 2 subadult females and 1 subadult male (son of Toulon males).
2 users Like Ngala's post

@Ngala thank you.........where are they located..........i assume they have no males right now since the toulons right?

has anyone heard anything about the ximhungwe females? where would they be located?

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(12-03-2016, 05:21 PM)jacksonsmash Wrote: @Ngala thank you.........where are they located..........i assume they have no males right now since the toulons right?

They are located in Kirkman's Kamp/Mala Mala area. Yes, the Toulon were the last pride males.
2 users Like Ngala's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(12-03-2016, 05:36 PM)jacksonsmash Wrote: has anyone heard anything about the ximhungwe females? where would they be located?

I don't think there have been sightings of them lately, but I'm betting that by now there won't be long until they from a pride, taking into consideration their age, I think they might be around the same age as the Mangheni girls.

As for the location, there's no certainty, but I would say to the north of the Sabi sands, at least that's where they were last seen.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

i always am so grateful to those of you that take the time to fill us part time followers in on everything ...........thank you guys
7 users Like jacksonsmash's post

anyone know the makeup of the eastern bank pride right now...... i just now found out they are in the sabi sands area....Toulons were there males........just when i think i know it all i find out i need to know more!

United States Fredymrt Offline

(12-02-2016, 05:27 AM)Majingilane Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 11:27 AM)Fredymrt Wrote:
This young lion was extremely fortunate to survive this brutal onslaught by three huge males . A valuable lesson though not to invade the space of territorial males

Who is this? Are they really from Sabi sands? Frankly, I don't recognize the males.

@"Majingilane":
Sorry for the late reply,i don't know who are they,
apologize guys i posted on the wrong thread, the video was recorded in KNP.
6 users Like Fredymrt's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

this looks to me like it could be one of the sparta males.....and his new girlfriend.

6 users Like Fredymrt's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

He does look like the Sparta male. In that case, good boy!
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

This morning we came across 3 of the Southern Pride females with all 8 cubs present after being chased around last night by a huge herd of elephants. All of them were looking very thin and they managed to pick up on a scent of a small herd of Dagga boys which they began to hunt and were able to pull down a young male thanks to Mandleve’s experience!

Credits: Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve