There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-11-2024, 09:25 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I was expecting the Kruger male to look more impressive, but he is much more impressive than S.Avoca, looks taller and surely much bulkier.

Age definetly caught S.Avoca sooner than Kruger male.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-11-2024, 08:38 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-11-2024, 05:49 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: 3 and then 3 more males on the Nkorho Bush Lodge dam cam. The first three could potentially be the Torchwood young males. The next three look like Kambulas to me (K3, K5 and K4).

So broken leg young male is not part of this Torchwood group? As looks like all 3 males walk normally, or?

Are you referring to the male whose front leg appeared to have been broken in several places? If so, I haven't seen him in some time, last time I saw him he was walking with a couple of lionesses, likely from his pride.

Super Moderator

(10-11-2024, 10:01 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-11-2024, 09:25 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I was expecting the Kruger male to look more impressive, but he is much more impressive than S.Avoca, looks taller and surely much bulkier.

Which is odd, given they seem to be around the same age, and have suffered similarly traumatic events in their lives.

@Mapokser , I have always believed the Kruger male to be impressive, when standing near S8, they appeared to me to be similar in size. This S Avoca was smaller than his bro, now if Kruger Male was standing near the other S Avoca, and appeared so much bigger, I would have been shocked, for sure. The other S Avoca was a really impressive male.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(10-11-2024, 10:01 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Adding onto this it’s two very different situations. The Kruger male lost his bro years ago but still carried on being a dominant, pride male, only recently getting ousted by Kambulas from Imbali Pride and possibly Mantimhales from Torchwood Pride, depending on if he left willingly or was ousted. 

S.Avoca spent his entire life with his bro and the second his bro died, he lost everything. There was no free prides for him to take so he lost condition pretty much instantly, both cos of the lack of food he had access to and the stress of being alone. 
Now if we was to look at S.Avoca and compare him to Mohawk or even their fathers, their bloodline tends to age quicker than others for sure. We just don’t know exactly by how much as with the two current cases, Mohawk and S.Avoca, they lost their prides very much towards the end of their primes and that’s when their bodies started to show that age. I’ve seen lions much older than both these boys who’ve looked in better shape, their bodies have properly been able to hold their food without their backend / ribs showing.
2 users Like KM600's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tbh I think Avoca looks to be in very good condition considering his age and saying he doesn't look as "bulky" as Kruger male bassically just beacuse his belly is not as full at the moment doesn't make any sense.
3 users Like Potato's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@BA0701 The other S.Avoca was bigger for sure, but I don't think by much, he was more muscular and had a bigger mane.

Both S.Avoca looked quite bigger than the Delaporte male so even if the current S.Avoca isn't as impressive as he once was, I'm still impressed by how much stronger the Kruger male looks in comparison.

But yeah different lions age at different rates, Kruger looks absolutely incredible for his age, like say Nhenha was.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Styx young male and Kambula/Ntsevu breakaway lioness. Photos taken 23rd September, credits to Keagan Chasenski.

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like NLAL11's post

Super Moderator

(10-13-2024, 12:24 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: Styx young male and Kambula/Ntsevu breakaway lioness. Photos taken 23rd September, credits to Keagan Chasenski.

K12 has a belly full of gnu, I can't imagine there being cubbies in there, not this soon.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2024, 03:22 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-13-2024, 12:24 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: Styx young male and Kambula/Ntsevu breakaway lioness.

Idk if it was posted here, but these 2 managed to kill full grown buffalo in Sabi Sabi recently, impressive feat for them:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-12-2024, 10:08 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm still impressed by how much stronger the Kruger male looks in comparison.

Kruger male looked more impressive pretty much from every male he was seen with/near/compared, i think only Skybed son looked as impressive as him.

From earliest sightings in 2020, he was described as very impressive specimen, so no suprise, he has "top notch" genes.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

Kruger male and Southern Avoca at Londolozi 

by Michael Abrams
11 users Like Ngonya's post

Believe this is around Umkumbe, very recent too.

9 users Like KM600's post

MrLoesoe Offline

Another 3 male lions sighted at Nkorho Bush Lodge cam - as if Northern Sabi Sands is not populated enough! One older lion (their father?), who is limping, and two younger males, one is maneless.

Who can identify these males? Supposedly they come from Kruger per description of the video. One has a TB brand on his body. 

5 users Like MrLoesoe's post

6 users Like KM600's post

(10-13-2024, 08:33 PM)MrLoesoe Wrote: Another 3 male lions sighted at Nkorho Bush Lodge cam - as if Northern Sabi Sands is not populated enough! One older lion (their father?), who is limping, and two younger males, one is maneless.

Who can identify these males? Supposedly they come from Kruger per description of the video. One has a TB brand on his body. 

Atleast 2 of the 3 have been tested for TB, one of the older males and the younger male.
1 user Likes KM600's post