There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ttimemarti Offline

Yes the the injury allowed the a TB to get worse very fast he was seen throwing up and soon died
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-07-2024, 03:37 AM)Vengeous Wrote: And yet the PCMs allegedly killed Lip Scar Nkuhuma.

Again no evidence whatsoever that PCMs did it, first speculations where that it was failed hunt.

We are basically prescribing to PCMs every lion death who happened in or near their territory, without having 0 evidence to support it.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2024, 05:27 PM by Tr1x24 )

Regardless how S8 died, theres diseases and injuries which can make lion die in few days.

Not saying he 100% died from illness, but its possible.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-07-2024, 04:38 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Don't worry young ones, once you hit your prime, nobody will be stealing any more kills from you.

Long road ahead of them, they are still very young, but they have Charleston genes, they might succeed.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Throwback, Southern Pride female and her brother, in 2019 :

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2024, 08:14 PM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 he died with a broken back in PCM territory, in the path the PCM take when crossing from Singita to Londolozi ( which they were doing ), you also agreed at the time that the PCM killed him.

Guides looked at the body and said it was strongly believed he was killed by other lions, completely disregarding buffalos which was what a northern guide thought but the Singita guides corrected him.

PCM immediately showed up with new scars.

No other male lions were anywhere near the area but the PCM.

By the same logic there's also 0 evidence the PCM or Gijima attacked Kambulas recently, or Gijimas attacked Tumbela, the only difference is that the Kambulas and Tumbela survived.

These clashes are rarely seen by anyone, but we often can reliably piece things together in Sabi Sands, given the location of the animals and injuries post-clash.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2024, 09:21 PM by GhostCatP-22 Edit Reason: Spelling )

(06-07-2024, 05:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Regardless how S8 died, theres diseases and injuries which can make lion die in few days.

Not saying he 100% died from illness, but its possible.

How S8 most likely died.

He was thought to have been on a hunt and during the hunt his jaw was broken (not extreme but must have been painful) AND a small laceration on his abdomen (initially reported that wasps had made a nest). During autopsy the small cut on abdomen was investigated and showed that his intestine had a laceration too, the skin healed up over the internal intestine laceration. The last few videos of him show him with painful back legs and hips. Poor guy could’ve healed from the broken jaw but due to his intestines leaking he had a massive bacterial blood infection, that would also cause the throwing up.  The vomiting was initially thought to have been a snake bite. Most of this was discussed on wildfact but S8s’ autopsy report came out later so I get why people may have missed it. I’m not sure where the autopsy report is but I remembered talking about it with my husband. He used to be a Dive md tech and train US Navy Dolphins so he was able to read the Dr/medical code stuff. 

S8 was such an amazing boy! I love that clip of him and the s black dam boys challenging each other on a kill with a bunch of hyenas.

Side note for people discussing the timeline…work together to fill in the blanks and be nice and respectful. Make a timeline of events together! If upset about something please send a personal message vs posting. This is one of the rare places people actually enjoy connecting and discussing nature and I love everyone here! Thank you for being lion nerds, I’ve learned so much.
9 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2024, 09:14 PM by afortich )

I only say that in those deaths above mentioned, it would be inaccurate to say that there was no evidence because there was plenty of circumstantial evidence to form 1 or 2 strong theories.
2 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2024, 09:52 PM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser 

I am not saying that they didnt do it neither, they are suspects, but thats just a speculation and theory.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Lip Scar was definitly lions. The final reports about the state his body was found in leaves little room for other interpretations. 
While there is no evidence directly pointing to the PCmales. They are the most likely suspect due to being seen pretty closeby at the point.

S8s death is a bit more of a mystery as the illness progressed very rapidly. A buffalo horn piercing the bowels is a strong contender. But so is everything else that could cause such damage. Lions however typically dont cause this type of damage, so unless the peritonitis is unrelated, I am willing to rule that out.

The advantage these two cases had is that we actually have a body to study. (Which is why I am not a fan of withelding such information out of respect for the lion and all that nonsense). In the BDM case, he just disapeared. He may still be around somewhere, but the behavoir of the other BDM suggests he has zero hope of a reunion so the signs are not optimistic. He is either death, or in such state his partner was forced to abandon him.

Again the PCmales are the core suspects due to showing up with some severe injuries later. But ultimately, like with many fights, we are unlikely to ever find out his final fate.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Anyone have Pic or vid of the PC injury ?? I've seen none from the people i floow on socials
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-08-2024, 02:35 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Anyone have Pic or vid of the PC injury ?? I've seen none from the people i floow on socials

There are some on page 45 of the PCM thread, found here:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-plains-...es?page=45
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Sabi Sand dynamics, May 2024.

5 users Like afortich's post

Mwk85 Offline

Great to see some news on them 

7 users Like Mwk85's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(06-08-2024, 02:22 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Great to see some news on them 

Tough road ahead for the young lioness, unless she somehow joins back up with her pride.

The young males, if they all survive, could end up as quite a formidable coalition, and could make up for their fathers' untimely and forced evacuation by siring lots of cubs.

Hope they all survive and thrive.
4 users Like NLAL11's post