There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Kruger male seen by Vestment Mfumo Machavi

*This image is copyright of its original author

12 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the two Mantimahle males 
Photo credit: Marcos Photo Gallery

9 users Like T I N O's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 03:42 PM by KM600 )

PCMs back in the North, Chitwa Chitwa specifically. Chased some Nkuhuma Pride members as well as the Kambula males. Followed this same female from Chitwa airstrip to Arathusa runway so they seem very keen on this pride for now. Prolly a good thing Khanya most likely wasn’t with them. Hope the 2021 male is fine too. 

6 users Like KM600's post

( This post was last modified: 05-16-2024, 02:26 AM by KM600 )

Also in the comments of that same video, Deon confirms 3/4 Nkuhuma boys are back in Sabi Sands - Mohawk is the one who hasn’t been spotted. For those confused, that’s just how I refer to their coalition.
Update: All 4 spotted in KNP on a kill yesterday, seems to be a guides error.
5 users Like KM600's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Mala Mala Game Report April 2024 https://malamala.com/wp-content/uploads/...024-LD.pdf

THE SAND RIVER PRIDE = 5
2 ADULT FEMALES ± 5 YEARS 9 MONTHS
1 ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 3 MONTHS
1 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 3 YEARS 8 MONTHS
2 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 2 YEARS 8 MONTHS
SOUTHERN CHARLESTON
(4 sightings)

The members of the Sand River pride were seen on four occasions this month. On the 2nd, one lioness
was with three Nkuhlu males in central Charleston, west of the Tjellahanga River. On the 12th, four
lionesses were seen feeding on a kudu carcass at Island Crossing. On the 28th, one female was with a
Nkuhlu male on the Charleston Toulon Boundary near the Sand River, and another lioness was seen
to the west of Jakkalsdraai Open Area.

THE BLACK DAM MALES = 2
2 ADULT MALES ± 6 YEARS 7 MONTHS
EYREFIELD
First encountered on MalaMala Game Reserve in 2022
(2 sightings)

On the 8th, these makes were found west of Wild Dog Rocks Open Area, digging in a termite mound.
The next day, their digging antics continued; finally, at dusk on the 9th, they retrieved a male warthog
from the burrow.

OTHER LIONS ENCOUNTERED:
• NKHULU MALES (3 sightings) – Three males were seen on the 2nd with a single lioness
from the Sand River pride in central Charleston. The next day, four males were seen on
the Charleston Toulon Boundary, east of the Sand River. One male was with a Sand River
lioness east of Flat Rocks.
• NKUHUMA MALE (1 sighting) – The son of the late Gowrie males was seen with another
unidentified male lion near Jakkalsdraai Open Area on the 22nd. [probably Tumbela male]
• KAMBULA YOUNG (3 MALES, 1 FEMALE) (1 sighting) – On the 23rd, these four individuals
were found feeding on the buffalo carcass that the Southern Avoca male had made west
of Mamba Waterhole.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Kruger/Torchwood pride male in great condition. 
Photo credit: Ioic Naes

6 users Like T I N O's post

(05-17-2024, 06:07 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: • KAMBULA YOUNG (3 MALES, 1 FEMALE) (1 sighting) – On the 23rd, these four individuals
were found feeding on the buffalo carcass that the Southern Avoca male had made west
of Mamba Waterhole.

Happy to see the old boys will to live is still quite strong.
5 users Like KM600's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2024, 09:10 PM by BA0701 )

(05-17-2024, 08:41 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(05-17-2024, 06:07 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: • KAMBULA YOUNG (3 MALES, 1 FEMALE) (1 sighting) – On the 23rd, these four individuals
of Mamba Waterhole.

Happy to see the old boys will to live is still quite strong.

Impressive that he is out taking down buffalo by himself. A feat, I believe happens far more than we are aware. The rare times that it is captured on video, like the famous video of Skorro of the Thanda Impi taking down one by himself, are always awe inspiring. It is unfortunate that he is in a situation that requires such daring.
7 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Shorter-maned Southern Black Dam male alone on Djuma this morning. In the first pictures he was, according to Steve, in the exact same spot where the two Plains Camp males had their tiff over the Nkuhuma lioness a few days ago. On the termite mound he was gently contact calling, presumably for his brother.

Another update, the Nkuhumas were apparently on a giraffe kill, not a buffalo kill, that they stole from the Talamatis.

8 users Like NLAL11's post

South Africa Rabubi Online

(05-19-2024, 05:15 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Shorter-maned Southern Black Dam male alone on Djuma this morning. In the first pictures he was, according to Steve, in the exact same spot where the two Plains Camp males had their tiff over the Nkuhuma lioness a few days ago. On the termite mound he was gently contact calling, presumably for his brother.

Another update, the Nkuhumas were apparently on a giraffe kill, not a buffalo kill, that they stole from the Talamatis.

The stress of being surrounded with such strong competition is really beginning to show on this male. I reckon it's best for them to vacate SS and move on elsewhere.  It doesn't seem like there is a place in SS for the southern BDMs anymore.
1 user Likes Rabubi's post

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline

He's on Wildearth for the sunset drive too... he's limping very, very badly. I wonder if that's because of old injuries, or whether something's happened to him recently.
1 user Likes Vengeous's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(05-19-2024, 07:27 PM)Vengeous Wrote: He's on Wildearth for the sunset drive too... he's limping very, very badly. I wonder if that's because of old injuries, or whether something's happened to him recently.

May be the cause of the apparent separation. Clash with someone, PCM, maybe, are they still in the area?

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline

(05-19-2024, 07:38 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(05-19-2024, 07:27 PM)Vengeous Wrote: He's on Wildearth for the sunset drive too... he's limping very, very badly. I wonder if that's because of old injuries, or whether something's happened to him recently.

May be the cause of the apparent separation. Clash with someone, PCM, maybe, are they still in the area?

No visible scratches on him, so don't think the limp is because of fresh injuries... it's either an illness or an old injury from his clash with the Kambulas.

Makhunga was in the west yesterday, his brother was on Elephant Plains this morning. Not sure where they plan to reunite, because Makhunga may have picked up the scent of Nkuhuma and Tumbela, who are back on Singita.
1 user Likes Vengeous's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(05-19-2024, 07:51 PM)Vengeous Wrote:
(05-19-2024, 07:38 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

No visible scratches on him, so don't think the limp is because of fresh injuries... it's either an illness or an old injury from his clash with the Kambulas.

Makhunga was in the west yesterday, his brother was on Elephant Plains this morning. Not sure where they plan to reunite, because Makhunga may have picked up the scent of Nkuhuma and Tumbela, who are back on Singita.

While I don't want any further conflict with anyone, for awhile, I believe all the lions could use the break. But it would be a sure telling of where exactly Skorro Jr and NYM are as partners. They have both had conflict with the PCMs, NYM ran from them, and Skorro Jr was severely injured, an injury that he carries with him still. If the two of them are confronted by a solo PCM, something we have not seen happen yet with any lions, it will be interesting to see what comes of such an interaction.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I believe lions know their limits and where they prefer to go.  We can only trust these males to go where their heart desires.... and if in the end, they err badly, well, it's a decision they have made, their strategic error.  We can only look on and watch in wonder as they make calculated moves that could be fatal or not.  Therefore, time will show whether the PC Males will to spread their genes further afield backfires, whether the S. BDMs bit off more than they can chew by staying in certain areas and getting injured badly, whether the NM and Skorro Jr. mistakenly returned up north in other lions' territory that's already a hotbed of turmoil.....  I question the moves of all 3 coalitions at this point.  But, lions have their own mysterious motives and keen senses we'll never understand, and some that will surely lead them down the wrong path, just like with humans.
2 users Like Cath2020's post