There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

NK has been seen with so many males so many times already that I don't even hope for anything anymore.

Ideally these 2 would team-up and move north to make an easy life as dominant males in Manyeleti.

It'd be the perfect time for Tumbela since his daughters will be reaching mating age soon and start attracting the PCM. And also perfect for the Ximhungwe who don't need either NK or Tumbela around.

Still, for NK, Tumbela is not the ideal partner because he rarely leaves the West... But who knows he does seen to go north towards Manyeleti a few times.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-16-2024, 11:43 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Ideally these 2 would team-up and move north to make an easy life as dominant males in Manyeleti.

As we said many time, lions dont have maps to see which areas are "easier" to conquer.

NK never ventured in Manyeleti, and he was only with Nhenha back in northern Sabi Sands.

So chances that he all of suden moves to Manyeleti are prob 0.

Same for Tumbela, who looks like settled in western sector for rest of his life.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-16-2024, 08:58 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 05:04 PM)KM600 Wrote: Interesting. The person mentioned is a guide in Western Sabi Sands meaning the unidentified male is most likely Skorro Orpen or Khanya being they’re both solo males within a decent distance. Most likely being Skorro Orpen. 

To clarify the situation in the west.

There is NO third lion suspected to be among Tumbela and Nkuhuma whom were both seen together.

There was confusion regarding some tracks….but no third male is now thought to have been involved.

Ok. Sorry guys…..I now have egg on my face.

After being told there was a miscommunication on a report about third male and that it wasn’t the case, im not told THERE IS ANOTHER MALE.

I screwed up by not asking the correct questions. Lesson learned.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

True, not likely to happen as the lions have no idea what goes on beyond they can perceive. But it would still be nice.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(04-17-2024, 12:10 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 08:58 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 05:04 PM)KM600 Wrote: Interesting. The person mentioned is a guide in Western Sabi Sands meaning the unidentified male is most likely Skorro Orpen or Khanya being they’re both solo males within a decent distance. Most likely being Skorro Orpen. 

To clarify the situation in the west.

There is NO third lion suspected to be among Tumbela and Nkuhuma whom were both seen together.

There was confusion regarding some tracks….but no third male is now thought to have been involved.

Ok.  Sorry guys…..I now have egg on my face.  

After being told there was a miscommunication on a report about third male and that it wasn’t the case, im not told THERE IS ANOTHER MALE.  

I screwed up by not asking the correct questions.   Lesson learned.

Has to be Orpen male right?  That area is fenced off for the most part right?

Contributor

(04-17-2024, 12:18 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Has to be Orpen male right?  That area is fenced off for the most part right?

So I can’t ‘exclude’ Skorro because there have been past reports (going back several weeks) of possible unknown lion tracks in the west…but no good and clear confirmation to go public.

Rather than speculating things just went quiet for a few weeks.

This time, photos were indeed taken…..but only of a single lion. He isn’t Skorro.

But this doesn’t mean there isn’t another lion in the are in addition to this male, Tumbela and Nkuhuma.

So we have to wait until more definitive clarity is shared.
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

( This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 12:41 AM by T_Ferguson Edit Reason: jokes )

(04-17-2024, 12:30 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 12:18 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Has to be Orpen male right?  That area is fenced off for the most part right?

So I can’t ‘exclude’ Skorro because there have been past reports (going back several weeks) of possible unknown lion tracks in the west…but no good and clear confirmation to go public.    

This time, photos were indeed taken…..but only of a single lion.    He isn’t Skorro.  

But this doesn’t mean there isn’t another lion in the are in addition to this male, Tumbela and Nkuhuma.  

Damn... Here we thought PCM's were the on top of it duo.  They let NK back in, and now another rogue?  Slipping.  hahaha

This was sarcasm....
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(04-17-2024, 12:32 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 12:30 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

This time, photos were indeed taken…..but only of a single lion.    He isn’t Skorro.  

Damn... Here we thought PCM's were the on top of it duo.  They let NK back in, and now another rogue?  Slipping.  hahaha

Tbf they have that much territory it does seem like males can go thru as they please, obviously without openly challenging the PCMs. Wasn’t long ago u had both Talamati brothers plus Nkuhuma Male and Skorro Tumbela all consistently spending time in the West. Very intrigued to see the lion tho.
3 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Wow this is interesting, not Skorro Orpen? Couldn't it be Talamati?

Difficult to believe a random nomad crossed from Kruger and walked all the way to the Western Sector without being sighted.

If it's not Skorro and not Talamati, it must be a male coming from Manyeleti who moved south through Ottawa.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

(04-17-2024, 01:08 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Wow this is interesting, not Skorro Orpen? Couldn't it be Talamati?

Difficult to believe a random nomad crossed from Kruger and walked all the way to the Western Sector without being sighted.

If it's not Skorro and not Talamati, it must be a male coming from Manyeleti who moved south through Ottawa.

Young Avoca (former Guernsey partner), or am I mixing up my regions...
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 01:55 AM by criollo2mil )

(04-17-2024, 01:29 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 01:08 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Wow this is interesting, not Skorro Orpen? Couldn't it be Talamati?

Young Avoca (former Guernsey partner), or am I mixing up my regions...

Yeah.  Wrong region tone him.  

@Mapokser , it’s definitely not him.    It’s a beautiful blonde big boy.    I’m bad with suggesting age, but I’d say he’s around the age the Othowas from Ginger would be now. Maybe older actually
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Very interesting, but why is the photo not released?
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Londolozi Blog The Week in Pictures #644

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/04/12/th...tures-644/

The Tsalala lioness.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like NLAL11's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Mala Mala Game Report March 2024

THE SAND RIVER PRIDE = 5
2 ADULT FEMALES ± 5 YEARS 8 MONTHS
1 ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 2 MONTHS
1 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 3 YEARS 7 MONTHS
1 SUB ADULT FEMALE 2 YEARS 7 MONTHS
SOUTHERN CHARLESTON
(4 sighting)

With the arrival of the Nkuhlu males, the Sand River pride has experienced much disruption. In their
takeover, the Nkuhlu males killed two adult females and several cubs. Five members of the pride
remain in their original territory, two adult lionesses and three younger lionesses, who have accepted
the new males.
This month, five lionesses from the Sand River pride were seen in Ingwe Donga, with two Nkuhlu males
on the 9th. Four of the lionesses were with three Nkuhlu males in the Sand River opposite Beaumont’s
Camp on the 28th. Overnight, they pushed the Styx Pride off a giraffe kill and spent the rest of the
month around the giraffe kill on the western ramp of Calabash Crossing with the Nkuhlu males.

THE BLACK DAM MALES = 2
2 ADULT MALES ± 6 YEARS 6 MONTHS
EYREFIELD
First encountered on MalaMala Game Reserve in 2022
(2 sightings)

On the 19th, the two Black Dam males were seen digging in a termite mound to the west of 4-Ways
Open Area. Although we did not see them dig up anything, the following day and on close inspection
the signs suggested they were successful in digging up a warthog overnight. They were in the same
area again on the 22nd.

OTHER LIONS ENCOUNTERED:
• NKHULU MALES (6 sightings) – Most sightings of these males were with members of the
Sand River pride (see above). Two males were seen alone on the 20th at Elephant Alley.
• KNP MALES (1 sighting) – On the 4th, these males rested on Clarendon Dam wall.
• STYX PRIDE (3 sightings) – Six members of the Styx Pride were seen at the far southwest
corner of MalaMala on the 26th. On the 28th, the pride had a large male giraffe kill on the
western ramp of Calabash crossing. Overnight, they had been pushed off their kill by the
Sand River pride and Nkuhlu males, and they were north of Pole in the Road (29th).
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 03:32 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-17-2024, 01:08 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Difficult to believe a random nomad crossed from Kruger and walked all the way to the Western Sector without being sighted.

Thats exactly how Tumbelas "sneaked in".

But that doesnt exclude that he didnt sneak from the south, as NK is doing occasionaly.

1 solo nomad is not that easy to spot for territorial males, as he doesnt make much "noise".

Group of lions like Kambulas are much easier to spot, as they are making plenty of "noise" hunting big pray all the time and feeding on them for days.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post