There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@KM600 only fans said there were back and forth chasing. No guide confirmed anything. For all we know the Nkhulu chased the Gijimas off and that was it.

If the Gijimas won against the Nkhulu by chasing them from their territory then the Nkhulu must have lost.

Then, how is it different from what happened later? Nkhulu defended their territory from the Gijimas, they won, and if there's a winner, there must be a loser, Gijimas retreated, they lost the clash by the very definition of the word.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(04-15-2024, 04:09 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 only fans said there were back and forth chasing. No guide confirmed anything. For all we know the Nkhulu chased the Gijimas off and that was it.

If the Gijimas won against the Nkhulu by chasing them from their territory then the Nkhulu must have lost.

Then, how is it different from what happened later? Nkhulu defended their territory from the Gijimas, they won, and if there's a winner, there must be a loser, Gijimas retreated, they lost the clash by the very definition of the word.

Difference is Nkhulus had consistently challenged both the Gijimas and Southern Avocas, it wasn’t just one separate occasion. I don’t think either Gijima male was serious about taking over new territory from a 6/7 male lion coalition and once they realised how outnumbered they were, they decided it wasn’t worth it. I also don’t think the Gijimas went all in to the point we can say they were defeated, especially when there was no actual physical contact. I would describe it more as the Nkhulus successfully defending their territory.

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Thats implying there ever was a contest to begin with. The situation could also just be a case of them never intending to trespas and deciding not to start a fight for nothing.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@KM600 You're just playing semantics here.

Gijimas met the Nkhulu, LM Gijima rushed forth to chase them before stopping dead on his tracks, ST Nkhulu was ready to run but saw LM Gijima stopping and gave chase, Gijimas ran for their lives.

The Nkhulu defeated the Gijimas in a territorial clash.

It doesn't matter if there was takoevers or if nobody got hurt ( though nobody got hurt because the Gijimas ran fast enough ), the fact is that they had a clash and the Gijimas lost the clash.

We can't be bias just because the Gijimas are loved and the Nkhulu have a bad reputation.

If the Gijimas were hated and Nkhulu loved, nobody would be saying that the Gijimas didn't lose that.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States sik94 Online
Sikander Hayat

(04-15-2024, 05:23 AM)Mapokser Wrote: The Nkhulu defeated the Gijimas in a territorial clash

That wasn't a clash, come on. No one lost territory and it was more so enforcing boundaries, the fact that it didn't lead to further conflict should tell you that no one lost an inch. You're looking at one punch in a 12 round boxing fight that ultimately ended in a draw, there were no losers.
3 users Like sik94's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@sik94 that was the very definition of a clash.

Losing or gaining territory is irrelevant to the definition of a clash. Guess the PCM and Gijimas clashes with Kambulas weren't clash because no territorial changes happened.

You can call it whatever you want the fact is that the Gijimas bumped onto the Nkhulu, tried to chase them, failed, and got chased themselves and defeated.

It make no sense to call that a draw when only one side ran for their lives.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 12:50 AM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser 

Label "defeat" is too harsh to use in this kind of situation, as there was no competition in the first place.

Wording should be "Nkhulus chased Gijimas back".

Saying "Nkhulus defeated Gijimas" implies that Gijimas where intentionaly challenging Nkhulus and that 2 parties where in competition, which was not the case.

As for Kambulas, we dont know what where Kambulas doing in their territory to compare those situations.

If Kambulas where roaring, then yes, thats in a way territorial challenge and they got defeated, or if they had a kill and lost it to those males, thats also a defeat.

But if Gijimas or PCMs bumped randomly into Kambulas, and Kambulas just run away, wording should be "PCMs chased Kambulas" not "PCMs defeated Kambulas".

Another example, Mbiris defeated Guernsey/Avoca males, but if Mbiris catch some random X young male minding his own buisness, we cant use wording "Mbiris defeated X young male", wording should be "Mbiris catched and killed X young male".
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

That's just one incident in which both sides were surprised and no territory was exchanged. You are making it far bigger than it was.
Both sides pretty much shook it off as if nothing ever happened and the next clash could have an entirely different outcome. 

Its not like the Gijimas are now constantly hiding away while the Nkhulus are invading their territories.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Canada Maghreb Offline

(04-13-2024, 03:32 AM)Mapokser As time goes by, so does the window of opportunity for their sister to rejoin her pride; if it hasn\t already closed. Wrote: It's been said that the Gijimas chased the 3 Kambula males and sister to Londolozi, the PCM might have heard the commotion and went deeper into Londolozi where they chased the Kambulas and caught which seems to be K5.

With K6 not seen for one week despite all of this happening, and with his siblings being all throughout the areas they hangout ( north, Londolozi and south ), it's very worrisome.

Currently 1 male missing and one injured, with them being chased around by 2 different coalitions.

Canada Maghreb Offline

(04-11-2024, 09:38 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 07:33 PM)BA0701  I agree that she\s better off with the PC males.  She won't be alone much longer once the cubs arrive.  But.... the Mhangeni pride.  What irony. Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 03:32 PM)Potato Wrote: Singita Sabi Sands update
  • The Tsalala lioness seems to be nearing the time where she is due to give birth to her first little of cubs and grow her pride to what it once was. Her movement in the eastern parts of the reserve presents many opportunities for her to safely den with her cubs. The gabbro rocky valleys have for many centuries been a favoured area for new mothers.
  • The Ntsevu males are lions which would be a threat to the Tsalala lioness and her cubs as their patrol route seems to be taking shape in and around this area. They have also been furthering their hunting grounds further south of the Sabi Sand. As they grow their demand for food does too. These expert buffalo hunters have had many opportunities lately as buffalo herds are in abundance.
  • The Mhangeni Pride have their eyes set on the buffalo herds as well. The pressure of ten cubs, four of which are nearing one year of age, has these lionesses hunting every day until they catch large enough prey. Fifteen lions mean buffalo carcasses are finished in two days.

Is the Tsalala Princess believed to be carrying the Skorro Young Male's cubs? I know she interacted with the PCMs as well, just not sure who is believed to have impregnated her. Given the Skorro Young Male's recent absence, I hope it is the PCMs, where as before he disappeared I had hoped the two of them would start building a pride together.

I can’t remember where (maybe wild earth chat) but she was seen mating with Plains camp boys. I don’t know if it was one or both. A lot of info in on Facebook and others but I don’t have access.
I really like Skorro but the PC boys are able to provide a safer area (hopefully).
She’s basically a tawny leopard at this point so I hope she can raise at least one cub. I felt so bad for her when her older Mangheni lioness friend left to go back to her original pride once again leaving Tsalala alone.
1 user Likes Maghreb's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 05:07 PM by KM600 )

Interesting. The person mentioned is a guide in Western Sabi Sands meaning the unidentified male is most likely Skorro Orpen or Khanya being they’re both solo males within a decent distance. Most likely being Skorro Orpen. 

7 users Like KM600's post

Friarfan619 Offline

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
6 users Like Friarfan619's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 07:20 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-16-2024, 05:04 PM)KM600 Wrote: Interesting. The person mentioned is a guide in Western Sabi Sands meaning the unidentified male is most likely Skorro Orpen or Khanya being they’re both solo males within a decent distance. Most likely being Skorro Orpen. 

Yes, Talamati should be still in the north, so Skorro Orpen prob.

Still, not the best place for them to hang, deep in PCMs territory.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-13-2024, 02:53 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote:

Edit: Is youtube embedding broken? It shows up fine in the editor?

I fixed it. Embedding isn't broken, it is that the embedding button automatically fills in the initial https://, when you copy the link from YT it also includes the https://. What I do, whenever I embed YT vids, is when I click on the embed button, I highlight the https:// that is already there, and just past the entire link copied from YT over the top of it.

criollo2mil Online
Contributor

(04-16-2024, 05:04 PM)KM600 Wrote: Interesting. The person mentioned is a guide in Western Sabi Sands meaning the unidentified male is most likely Skorro Orpen or Khanya being they’re both solo males within a decent distance. Most likely being Skorro Orpen. 

To clarify the situation in the west.

There is NO third lion suspected to be among Tumbela and Nkuhuma whom were both seen together.

There was confusion regarding some tracks….but no third male is now thought to have been involved.
6 users Like criollo2mil's post