There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

SINGITA SABI SAND MONTHLY WILDLIFE REPORT - March 2024

Lions

• The Tsalala lioness seems to be nearing the time where she is due to give birth to her first little of cubs and grow her pride to what it once was. Her movement in the eastern parts of the reserve presents many opportunities for her to safely den with her cubs. The gabbro rocky valleys have for many centuries been a favoured area for new mothers.

• The Ntsevu males are lions which would be a threat to the Tsalala lioness and her cubs as their patrol route seems to be taking shape in and around this area. They have also been furthering their hunting grounds further south of the Sabi Sand. As they grow their demand for food does too. These expert buffalo hunters have had many opportunities lately as buffalo herds are in abundance.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 07:28 PM by criollo2mil )

I

(04-14-2024, 07:14 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: With new reports that Gijimas almost killed (i hope it stays on almost) K6 Kambula and chased 4 and then day or so after 3 Kambulas again, I think more and more that 2 Talamatis had similar encounter with Gijimas down south, in which they stand no chance and DM Talamati, as leader and more confident of the 2, got caught.

Gijimas look particulary agressive towards young males and nomads, they already catched and beaten one of Kambulas last year, already chased 2 Talamati males in the past and showed major hostility towards Styx young male and young females.

They also look to be experts in dealing with coalitions who outnumber them, as we saw vs Ndhzengas, Nkhulus and now Kambulas.

Talamatis where last hanging south in Gijimas territory, next sighting was remaining Talamati alone in Kruger, just south of Gijimas territory near Kruger Gate, other nowhere to be found to this day.

Obiviously this is just a guess what might happen to him, we cant know.

I have long suspected Gijimas did have a say into the disappearance of the second Talamati.   The final report of his sighting said both were chased by Gijimas.    We never saw him again.
6 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(04-14-2024, 07:14 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: With new reports that Gijimas almost killed (i hope it stays on almost) K6 Kambula and chased 4 and then day or so after 3 Kambulas again, I think more and more that 2 Talamatis had similar encounter with Gijimas down south, in which they stand no chance and DM Talamati, as leader and more confident of the 2, got caught.

Gijimas look particulary agressive towards young males and nomads, they already catched and beaten one of Kambulas last year, already chased 2 Talamati males in the past and showed major hostility towards Styx young male and young females.

They also look to be experts in dealing with coalitions who outnumber them, as we saw vs Ndhzengas, Nkhulus and now Kambulas.

Talamatis where last hanging south in Gijimas territory, next sighting was remaining Talamati alone in Kruger, just south of Gijimas territory near Kruger Gate, other nowhere to be found to this day.

Obiviously this is just a guess what might happen to him, we cant know.

I had just seen a comment saying K6 had been found with injuries to his back, chest and front but never knew it was as bad as what u seem to be saying. It does imply, however, that part of the altercation was him vs presumably both Gijimas. U never know, his brothers could have shown up and been the reason he didn’t die or they could’ve been the reason he was caught by himself in the first place. 

I think Gijimas are really starting to put themselves up there with being one of the strongest coalitions in Sabi Sand. I’ve previously said I didn’t think they were a great fit for the Talamatis, being they had 2 other prides but the Talamatis have somehow managed to carve out a territory in the South and Gijimas seem to have a real stronghold. 

Kambulas are certainly not yet ready to overthrow them and the Nkhulus are very rarely spotted together in big enough numbers to do real damage to both Gijimas.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Even their defeat to the Nkhuku doesn't seem to have affected the Gijima's confidence.

I'm not even sure anymore if PCM are stronger than them, maybe in a brawl since PCM are very big, but in an overall clash and chasing "prowess", Gijimas might be even stronger.

If many healthy Nkhulus don't invade, Gijimas will probably be able to raise cubs in both their prides.

Problem will be the Styx, once they become fully territorial it'd be difficult to avoid conflict with Msuthu and Southern pride.

Ideally the Styx would move a bit further south and east under the Nkhulu.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-15-2024, 12:02 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Even their defeat to the Nkhuku doesn't seem to have affected the Gijima's confidence.

Again, there was no defeat by Nkhulus.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

BDMs (prob in north):

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Friarfan619 Offline

She says he doesn't look good. Just looks a good beating.  

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-15-2024, 01:19 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: She says he doesn't look good. Just looks a good beating.  

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

Is this K6, or K4?  From what they said about K6, he took bruises to the legs, back, chest.  My guess would be if he took beatings there, it's possible they got his groin.  If his groin was hit, it's likely he could be done.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-15-2024, 01:29 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Is this K6, or K4?  From what they said about K6, he took bruises to the legs, back, chest.  My guess would be if he took beatings there, it's possible they got his groin.  If his groin was hit, it's likely he could be done.

Thats K6.

From this angle we dont see injuries on his back legs, so its hard to tell more.

He looks very alert and frightened.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(04-15-2024, 01:29 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Is this K6, or K4? 
Its K6
video author posted this photo in stories

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Ngonya's post

(04-15-2024, 12:02 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Even their defeat to the Nkhuku doesn't seem to have affected the Gijima's confidence.

I'm not even sure anymore if PCM are stronger than them, maybe in a brawl since PCM are very big, but in an overall clash and chasing "prowess", Gijimas might be even stronger.

If many healthy Nkhulus don't invade, Gijimas will probably be able to raise cubs in both their prides.

Problem will be the Styx, once they become fully territorial it'd be difficult to avoid conflict with Msuthu and Southern pride.

Ideally the Styx would move a bit further south and east under the Nkhulu.

I have no idea what defeat you’re referring to. They successfully defended their territory against 6/7 Nkhulu males which was their biggest test yet. I don’t see them being chased from Nkhulu territory as ‘defeat’ especially when it was said both coalitions were going both and forth with the chasing that day.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Khanya with some members of the Nkuhuma Pride, was spotted with 5 females earlier this morning heading towards EP. If the BDMs aren’t careful he will eventually start mating with them too.

5 users Like KM600's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-15-2024, 02:55 AM)KM600 Wrote: the BDMs aren’t careful he will eventually start mating with them too.

BDMs are not their pride males anymore by the looks of it.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

(04-15-2024, 03:02 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 02:55 AM)KM600 Wrote: the BDMs aren’t careful he will eventually start mating with them too.

BDMs are not their pride males anymore by the looks of it.

I agree to an extent with them going off the grid for so long but I don’t see them staying away from Nkuhuma Pride when they’ve seemingly been accepted and they have no immediate challengers as of this very moment. Not counting the Kambulas cos aside from being injured, they just don’t want to oust the BDMs atp.
2 users Like KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-15-2024, 01:38 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 01:29 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Is this K6, or K4? 
Its K6
video author posted this photo in stories

*This image is copyright of its original author

I really feel bad for the boy.  I know with Cheetah in the Mara they are trying to protect the mothers and cubs because Cheetah are so very close to being extinct in the wild.  It hurts me to see this boy here like this, alone, and wishing for a meal.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post