There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(04-04-2024, 12:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 10:32 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 I didn't say the other duos took territory from the BDM ( because they didn't want to ), I said they couldn't defend it from the opposition.

My point is that they don't seem to have what it takes to put any resistance against other duos. If they were to become successful, they'd need to be lucky enough to have no other coalition to pressure them.

BDMs didnt lost to any duo, chasing on borders back and forth between neighbours hardly matters, neither of their neighbours pressure them or anything, in fact, they pressured Ndhzengas when they arrived, but Ndhzengas succesfully defended themselves.

Things change quickly in lions life, yes, BDMs dont look particulary strong atm (as i said already) but in ~1 year of their territorial position, they didnt had any problems until arrival of 4 Kambulas and if that didnt happen, would prob still be territorial, their neighbouring duos dont matter in that story.

Anyways, looks like Kambulas are back north, lets see what happens this time.

Getting chased is a loss.

Chasing back and forth, yes, but the BDM never chased anyone back, they were always the ones getting chased. The only territorial male they chased was the S8 male, they lost to him once and beat him in another occasion, and S8 was a lone 11yo male.

Prime duos that have been together their entire life are expected to at least be strong enough to give a challenge to any other duo, but it seems the only duos the BDM are able to confront are 4yo nomads like the Talamatis back in the day.

If the PCM, Gijima, Mantimahle or Ndhzenga were to meet, no one knows what'd happen but at least it'd be a challenge, it's unlikely any would dominate the other one easily/without any sort of resistance. However any of these 4 duos would not even register the BDM as a threat.

The BDM were dominant for 1 year, but only because nobody tried to pressure them. If in the future they become dominant again, it's likely they'll be successful if they aren't luck enough to not have any territorial coalitions putting pressure, which is my point.

Even Nhenha and NK who are considered a weak coalition put some resistance against the mighty PCM in their first clash as territorial males, and although later they were semi-nomadic and would always ran easily, they'd still keep challenging the PCM with their roars.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-04-2024, 01:46 AM)Mapokser Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 12:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 10:32 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 I didn't say the other duos took territory from the BDM ( because they didn't want to ), I said they couldn't defend it from the opposition.

My point is that they don't seem to have what it takes to put any resistance against other duos. If they were to become successful, they'd need to be lucky enough to have no other coalition to pressure them.

BDMs didnt lost to any duo, chasing on borders back and forth between neighbours hardly matters, neither of their neighbours pressure them or anything, in fact, they pressured Ndhzengas when they arrived, but Ndhzengas succesfully defended themselves.

Things change quickly in lions life, yes, BDMs dont look particulary strong atm (as i said already) but in ~1 year of their territorial position, they didnt had any problems until arrival of 4 Kambulas and if that didnt happen, would prob still be territorial, their neighbouring duos dont matter in that story.

Anyways, looks like Kambulas are back north, lets see what happens this time.

Getting chased is a loss.

Chasing back and forth, yes, but the BDM never chased anyone back, they were always the ones getting chased. The only territorial male they chased was the S8 male, they lost to him once and beat him in another occasion, and S8 was a lone 11yo male.

Prime duos that have been together their entire life are expected to at least be strong enough to give a challenge to any other duo, but it seems the only duos the BDM are able to confront are 4yo nomads like the Talamatis back in the day.

If the PCM, Gijima, Mantimahle or Ndhzenga were to meet, no one knows what'd happen but at least it'd be a challenge, it's unlikely any would dominate the other one easily/without any sort of resistance. However any of these 4 duos would not even register the BDM as a threat.

The BDM were dominant for 1 year, but only because nobody tried to pressure them. If in the future they become dominant again, it's likely they'll be successful if they aren't luck enough to not have any territorial coalitions putting pressure, which is my point.

Even Nhenha and NK who are considered a weak coalition put some resistance against the mighty PCM in their first clash as territorial males, and although later they were semi-nomadic and would always ran easily, they'd still keep challenging the PCM with their roars.

GUYS LOOK. i am not sure aboth the others....but all this back and forth talk about who is and who isnt winning is all boring and exhaustive. I never like to predict behavior or make too much about short term activities cause as we know things in Lion Dynamis can turn on a dime!!!

this is why if you notice, i don't get into the "oh yeah, these males are more powerful, or no, those are YADA YADA" that's just not my cup of tea.

lets just let things play out and report on the results.

I myself am more interested in knowing why if this reported sighting happened, why dont we have a single photo or video of the males either before or after.

I suspect there's been some mis-reporting or mis interpretation of events. even Cedric (who is the supposed source of the events) changed his story several times changing the ID on who was involved.

the Northern Sabi Sand, Mala Mala and Djuma are among the MOST COVERED areas in Kruger at large, yet we have ZERO evidence of these males activities.....sorry but I cant reconcile that. and I am not certain what we have heard is the full or true story yet.

I certainly stand to be corrected....but then at least its due to actual evidence.
11 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

I'd like us to all move on now, thank you!
3 users Like BA0701's post

NLAL11 Online

Elephant Plains Lion Sightings 25-31 March

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...arch-2024/

Monday, 25 March 2024
  • The Kruger male lion and four Torchwood lioness hunting greater kudu on Dolerite Road.
Tuesday, 26 March 2024
  • The Talamati pride of lions stationary on Buffelshoek Gowrie Cutline junction Baobab.
  • Four Torchwood lioness mobile North from Cruise Camp Airstrip.
[*]

Wednesday, 27 March 2024
  • The Nkuhuma pride of lions consisting of eight lioness and one young male mobile North from Big Dam.
[*]

Thursday, 28 March 2024
  • Talamati pride of lions consisting of three individuals stationary on the firebreak East of Simbambili Dam.
  • The Torchwood pride of lions consisting of four lioness hunting waterbuck at Bushbuck Dam.
[*]

Friday, 29 March 2024
  • The Talamati pride of lions hunting impala around Mehluane Open Area.
[*]

Saturday, 30 March 2024
  • The Talamati pride of lions sleeping off of Parallel road, South of Zebra drive.
  • Kruger, male lion stationary on Tortoise Pan Road.
[*]

Sunday, 31 March 2024 (No Sightings)
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

PCM with a Ximhungwe cub I believe.

8 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

3 Nkhulu scent-marking, shared by an Umkumbe tracker.

Can the Umkumbe guides traverse to Kirkman's, or at least Lion Sands? In the North and West the guides can traverse through the entire area so I assume it's the same here.

Nkhulus in Unkumbe would be bad news.
8 users Like Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I commented on a post about the nkhulu males and said I wish they would get healthy and the guide said they are fine. Are they?
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(04-05-2024, 08:23 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I commented on a post about the nkhulu males and said I wish they would get healthy and the guide said they are fine. Are they?

More than likely, the guide was just speaking about the specific males above who stay primarily in Sabi Sands. Dreadlocks and one or two others haven’t been spotted in a while.
2 users Like KM600's post

NLAL11 Online

(04-05-2024, 07:32 AM)Mapokser Wrote: 3 Nkhulu scent-marking, shared by an Umkumbe tracker.

Can the Umkumbe guides traverse to Kirkman's, or at least Lion Sands? In the North and West the guides can traverse through the entire area so I assume it's the same here.

Nkhulus in Unkumbe would be bad news.

Them being in Umkumbe would mean they'd gone through the whole of Gijimas territory, so seems unlikely.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Ximhungwes and PCMs roaring:

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its not that unlikely. 

These are big territories only populated by a couple of lions which don't have radar or an alarm system. 
The chance of them running into the Gijimas by chance is pretty low as long they keep a low profile and don't linger. 
It would take effort by the Gijima males to track down and find them. 

Time will tell what these two are doing there but most likely they will move back in a few days without further incident.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-05-2024, 11:07 PM by Tr1x24 )

They can enter Umkumbe without going thru Gijimas territory, they just go north of Kirkmans Kamp into southern MalaMala and turn left, although that would lead them close to Ndhzengas territory in MalaMala, but they venture these areas before.

Regardless, i very much doubt that was exactly in Umkumbe, as Nkhulus look very relaxed and scent marking, looks like usual patrol of their territory.

Umkumbe guides prob can traverse outside Umkumbe a bit, so i think this was prob somewhere on Kirkmans Kamp border or in southern MalaMala.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

NLAL11 Online

(04-05-2024, 11:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: They can enter Umkumbe without going thru Gijimas territory, they just go north of Kirkmans Kamp into southern MalaMala and turn left, although that would lead them close to Ndhzengas territory in MalaMala, but they venture these areas before.

Regardless, i very much doubt that was exactly in Umkumbe, as Nkhulus look very relaxed and scent marking, looks like usual patrol of their territory.

Umkumbe guides prob can traverse outside Umkumbe a bit, so i think this was prob somewhere on Kirkmans Kamp border or in southern MalaMala.

Yeah fair, I didn't think of that. But it is quite a bit outside their territory, and as you said they didn't look like they were lions in another coalition's turf.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I'd be surprised if it was indeed in Umkumbe but since the Nkhulu knows their neighbors are duos, and being in 3 they have the upper hand, they don't have much reason to be afraid.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Guide from Lion Sands just posted Nkhulus: 

7 users Like Tr1x24's post