There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States T_Ferguson Online

(03-22-2024, 08:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 06:22 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: So.. The Kambula boys have permitted both NK and S. Avoca to hang with them for periods?  I guess that is interesting.  I wonder how that will work for their sister.

Its nothing unusual that nomads share kills with other nomads.

In some cases, even territorial males share kills with other nomads/territorial males.

Sometimes food is 1st priority.

As for pot coalition, NK males was in the past year with 3 different parties and didnt stick with neither, so prob will not this time either.

NK must be most friendly lion ever hehe.

You bite your tongue... My dear departed Spearboy was the most friendly lion ever.  hahaha
4 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(03-22-2024, 10:11 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 06:22 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: So.. The Kambula boys have permitted both NK and S. Avoca to hang with them for periods?  I guess that is interesting.  I wonder how that will work for their sister.

In some cases, even territorial males share kills with other nomads/territorial males.

As for pot coalition, NK males was in the past year with 3 different parties and didnt stick with neither, so prob will not this time either.

You bite your tongue... My dear departed Spearboy was the most friendly lion ever.  hahaha

? Do we know for sure that SB is for sure gone, or has he just not been seen in some time? If just not seen, then while it is likely he is gone, given his condition and the area he was in and the attacks he suffered there, he has been gone for extended lengths of time before.

NK, I believe is the closest thing we've had to Jessie in Sabi Sands, in a long time. He isn't at all a crabby male, like Tyson Ross, he just seems to enjoy doing things his own way, on his own clock, and that doesn't seem to fit well with being in a coalition. For a really long time, since Big Boy, I have wanted nothing more than for him to find a friend, or group, to hang with permanently, and it never happens. SYM, and then Nhenha are the closest he's come, and Nhenha and he just seemed to constantly butt heads at meal time, over females, you name it. I think one of his biggest issues is, due to being alone for so long, his first instinct is to flee when confronted with danger, and when you have a partner you should be counted on to stand and fight. He's also had horrible luck, we'll never know exactly who bit Styx male, the Manghenis or NK, but in either case I do not believe the intent was what happened.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(03-23-2024, 05:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I think one of his biggest issues is, due to being alone for so long, his first instinct is to flee when confronted with danger, and when you have a partner you should be counted on to stand and fight.

Not sure if thats the case, approaching 2 and 4 adult male lions is life threatening.

He was also seen with Talamati females, following and chasing Styxs, all scenarios what you will not be doing if you are scared.

I think at this point he is just too used to this lifestyle, and maybe doesnt even want more.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 06:08 AM by criollo2mil )

(03-23-2024, 05:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

? Do we know for sure that SB is for sure gone, or has he just not been seen in some time? If just not seen, then while it is likely he is gone, given his condition and the area he was in and the attacks he suffered there, he has been gone for extended lengths of time before.

NK, I believe is the closest thing we've had to Jessie in Sabi Sands, in a long time. He isn't at all a crabby male, like Tyson Ross, he just seems to enjoy doing things his own way, on his own clock, and that doesn't seem to fit well with being in a coalition. For a really long time, since Big Boy, I have wanted nothing more than for him to find a friend, or group, to hang with permanently, and it never happens. SYM, and then Nhenha are the closest he's come, and Nhenha and he just seemed to constantly butt heads at meal time, over females, you name it. I think one of his biggest issues is, due to being alone for so long, his first instinct is to flee when confronted with danger, and when you have a partner you should be counted on to stand and fight. He's also had horrible luck, we'll never know exactly who bit Styx male, the Manghenis or NK, but in either case I do not believe the intent was what happened.

He reminds me exactly like Solo Tsalala.    He’s rivaling him in number of different coalition attempts.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(03-23-2024, 05:42 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Not sure if thats the case, approaching 2 and 4 adult male lions is life threatening.

That was precisely my point in my poorly worded comment. I was not trying to imply he was walking around afraid of his own shadow all the time, just that when you are a lone male, and confronted by greater numbers, to flee is to live. So, he has gotten into that frame of mind, to leave when confronted, and it carries over even when he has a partner. Big Boy was never known as an overly aggressive male, and I think those two were perfectly matched in that regard, they were very much alike, and I think he was the one lion who had the biggest impact on NK, and the way he sees the world.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 07:36 AM by afortich )

Quote: For a really long time, since Big Boy, I have wanted nothing more than for him to find a friend, or group, to hang with permanently, and it never happens.

I also wanted the same thing bro @BA0701 . However, at this age and most of his life without a partner, maybe NYM just got used to being a solo lion.
Besides, I think a good partner for NYM could be a nomad lion that never had partner before and was not involved in territorial battles.
3 users Like afortich's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Lions sometimes develop differently. Some are born less social and others more social. 
It also tend to be the lions that have spend most of their lives in a coalitions that are the most desperate to form a new one, once their partners die. 

Nym never really had that. 
He had good and bad times in a coalition and good and bad times outside one. So it doesnt really matter for him what happens. Outside of obvious motivators like mating, food and danger, animals take life for what it is, rather for what the biology books say it should be.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

(03-23-2024, 05:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

We don't know for sure, we likely won't ever know what happened to SpearBoy.  Yes, there is a part of me that is so hopeful he just appears this summer and is around for a few weeks, but the reality is, he didn't look great in his last go round and was stepping into some dangerous situations, and like many in that region the temptation of easy cattle prey is too good.  When we lost Loonkito, I just figured I should stop hoping for my SpearBoy.

NK = Jessie is a really great analogy.  And yes, it's tough for a lot of these solo males that have been solo for so long.  I would guess NK and Skorro, and Orpen, will likely be solo for their total lives.  We can probably now add Young Avoca to that list as well.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

(03-23-2024, 02:15 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Lions sometimes develop differently. Some are born less social and others more social. 
It also tend to be the lions that have spend most of their lives in a coalitions that are the most desperate to form a new one, once their partners die. 

Nym never really had that. 
He had good and bad times in a coalition and good and bad times outside one. So it doesnt really matter for him what happens. Outside of obvious motivators like mating, food and danger, animals take life for what it is, rather for what the biology books say it should be.

Your second line is what is most curious to me about the S. Avoca.  His whole life with his brother and now he just seems to pop up here and there and just live.  Not that you were implying S. Avoca, but that was the first lion I thought of with that line.  You'd think he'd be the most desperate to find someone, yet he just carries on by himself.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 07:26 PM by Duco Ndona )

Its not like they have lion tinder or something. Meeting other lions always is a difficult and dangerous task.
Being with his brothers his whole life, its also a skill he never develooed.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Ttimemarti Offline

All of the nkuhuma males old partners he’s met/ been in a coalition with have all been related too him except for big boy I think and that’s insane of course he doesn’t know that other than nhenha but that is extremely insane Styx, nhenha, skorro breakaway (potentially), talamati boys, and kambula males. He and Styx met the plains camp boys but they chased them away unfortunately
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Ngonya Online

Anyone has individual pictures for K3 and K5? I cant really tell these two apart
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(03-23-2024, 10:25 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Anyone has individual pictures for K3 and K5? I cant really tell these two apart

K3:

*This image is copyright of its original author

K4:

K5:

K6:

K5 is easily recognizable duo to pronaunce mohawked male and short muzzle.

Most people mix K3 and K4 who look very similar.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Online

(03-23-2024, 10:59 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: K3:
(03-23-2024, 10:59 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: K5:
Wow they look similar to me.
Thanks
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Scar posted a new summary of recent events.

3 users Like Duco Ndona's post