There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Friarfan619 Offline

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
5 users Like Friarfan619's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Saysthey close to Mohawk and sons
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
6 users Like Friarfan619's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-17-2024, 03:14 AM)Ngonya Wrote: 6 male lions feeding on the same wildebeest carcass in Londolozi:
4 Kambula Boys & 2 Black Dam males "shared" a wildebeest kill
(video after the encounter unfortunately, but it could be the old video from January?)

Can someone confirm this is not old sighting?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 04:08 AM by Ngonya )

(03-17-2024, 11:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Can someone confirm this is not old sighting?
Hoping for someone to let us know if possible. 
Unfortunately we know how Londolozi and other reserves in yt or whatever don't tend to post and specify dates
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 06:27 AM by Mapokser )

@GhostCatP-22 Even if the BDM go full territorial if meeting their cubs ( which is a huge IF to say the least ) I doubt they'll get the strength to keep the territory and raise the cubs.

@Tr1x24 the virtual safaris so far were all from 1-2 weeks before the time of the upload, I'd be very surprised if this is from 2+ months ago, from the time they shared that kill.

IIRC they also had shared a kill in the north, not in Londolozi, but even if it was in Londolozi, I still think it's very unlikely that this virtual safari is from back then.

Another point is that these virtual safaris are supposed to be chronological, they don't make vritual safaris with footage from February, March, to then make a sequel one with footage from January.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I hope these scars aren't from the NK Breakaways.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I dont think they are refering to one specific recent event.

Still the Othawas will soon reach the point where they will start attracting suitors. Skorro really needs to be gone by then becouse I doubt he will be tollerated any longer.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Once the Othawas start roaring and/or searching for males, he'll have to leave, if not the West, at least his daughters. But this can happen any time from now to 1,5 year into the future.

As things stand right now I think chances are the PCM would kill the subs if they meet, and if they meet while the PCM are with one of their prides, then they'd 100% kill the Othawas.

Hopefully they'll reach estrus soon, one of the Styx did and she's around the same age, I think at best 2 months older. The Southern females were even much more younger when they started mating.

Only when the Othawas get into estrus will be PCM accept them and defend them in case other females try to approach while they're mating.

So until there, having Tumbela around is good for them.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

NLAL11 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-19-2024, 03:43 PM by NLAL11 )

Elephant Plains Lion Sightings 11-17 March:

Monday, 11 March 2024
  • The four Nkuhuma male lions, sleeping at Bush Camp west.
  • Nine Nkuhuma female Lioness, sleeping at Londolozi Boundary junction with Grass-Cut.
  • The four Nkuhuma male lions, sleeping at the inflow of Leeukuil.
Tuesday, 12 March 2024
  • One Nkuhuma lioness, moving north from Londolozi boundary.
Wednesday, 13 March 2024
  • Six Nkuhuma female lions and one Nkuhuma young male, sleeping in bush willow thicket west of Gabey’s cause way.
Thursday, 14 March 2024 (No Sightings)

Friday, 15 March 2024
  • Two Nkuhuma lioness, mobile west from A-main towards Big Dam.
[*]

Saturday, 16 March 2024 (No Sightings)

Sunday, 17 March 2024
  • The four Kambula male lions with one Kambula female lion, sleeping at the junction of Southern Fork and Cutline.
[*]

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...-17-march/
5 users Like NLAL11's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Mohawk,looks to have aged lots recently, is he 10 yet?
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Isn't he 12?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-20-2024, 12:38 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Mohawk,looks to have aged lots recently, is he 10 yet?
(03-20-2024, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Isn't he 12?

He should turn 11 yrs old these next months.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ukraine Cath2020 Offline

The remaining S. Avoca Male turns 11 this month, I believe, while Mohawk is younger by around 6-7 months.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

6-7 months I think is too much, I remember photos of them together as cubs and Mohawk wasn't much smaller, he was much closer to the S.Avocas than to the younger Blondie and DM.

Ukraine Cath2020 Offline

No, he's closer in age to Blondie and DM than to the S. Avocas.