There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Neither coalition really owns londolozi. Its just the spot where their respective territories border each other and the ownership mixes. Creating a bit of a no lions area. 
Both sides understand this and are not going to invest much time in chasing or fighting each other at such spots. So they just roar a bit and leave some scent marks to warn the neighbours not to try to invade and then leave again. 

So I don't think its much of a case of one coalitions running from another or picking a fight. Just them coincidentally visiting the same spot at the border.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-16-2024, 09:11 PM by KM600 )

4 users Like KM600's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

Cute, 3 new little ones.  Who are the fathers?  They were conceived from early/mid Nov. to early Dec. most likely if they are about a week or so old.  Unfortunately, with no pride males, their future is very questionable.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

( This post was last modified: 03-16-2024, 09:33 PM by KM600 )

(03-16-2024, 09:20 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Cute, 3 new little ones.  Who are the fathers?  They were conceived from early/mid Nov. to early Dec. most likely if they are about a week or so old.  Unfortunately, with no pride males, their future is very questionable.

BDMs most likely although Mohawk was with the pride while some lionesses were said to be in heat however was never seen mating with said females. And ye as bad as it sounds, I wouldn’t suggest anyone gets too attached because I’d be amazed if they were to survive the coming months.

( This post was last modified: 03-16-2024, 09:40 PM by Cath2020 )

Yes, I thought that might be the case.  Just checked back and saw footage of Chela mating with a BDM dated 11/27....  So, they are probably the fathers.

On top of that, she was also seen clearly mating from 11/21 with one, too.  That means she possibly conceived between those dates.

From 11/19 to 11/28, only seen with the BDMs!
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Believe this is from today
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
3 users Like Friarfan619's post

(03-16-2024, 09:32 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(03-16-2024, 09:20 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Cute, 3 new little ones.  Who are the fathers?  They were conceived from early/mid Nov. to early Dec. most likely if they are about a week or so old.  Unfortunately, with no pride males, their future is very questionable.

BDMs most likely although Mohawk was with the pride while some lionesses were said to be in heat however was never seen mating with said females. And ye as bad as it sounds, I wouldn’t suggest anyone gets too attached because I’d be amazed if they were to survive the coming months.

Yes, they'll have to beat the odds.  Seems like at least one male, possibly two.  Feisty and active already in the bush.  Matimba/Black Dam blood.  Wonder if any other females have given birth or are about to.  

I'll be holding my breath when/if she introduces them to the pride in 4-6 weeks.... If the BDMs are not around, and other males are, well, that is not good news for the little ones.  Chela's only recourse would be to break off from the pride, and I don't now if she'd do that for cubs so young.... They won't be able to outrun adult males.  They'd have to be hidden and keep a super low profile with her disappearing quite often to tend to them.  It all depends on the coalition that takes over the Nkuhuma Pride this year.

(03-17-2024, 01:58 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(03-16-2024, 09:32 PM)KM600 Wrote:

Yes, they'll have to beat the odds.  Seems like at least one male, possibly two.  Feisty and active already in the bush.  Matimba/Black Dam blood.  Wonder if any other females have given birth or are about to.  

I'll be holding my breath when/if she introduces them to the pride in 4-6 weeks.... If the BDMs are not around, and other males are, well, that is not good news for the little ones.  Chela's only recourse would be to break off from the pride, and I don't now if she'd do that for cubs so young.... They won't be able to outrun adult males.  They'd have to be hidden and keep a super low profile with her disappearing quite often to tend to them.  It all depends on the coalition that takes over the Nkuhuma Pride this year.

Seen a video a few weeks ago and remember thinking some of them were starting to look a lil pregnant but as they had a huge meal in the coming days it was hard to determine if they truly were. I do remember 3 of the Nkuhuma lionesses separating from the rest of the pride and spending weeks with the BDMs, so there should be 2 more expectating litters within a short time frame.

Ngonya Online

6 male lions feeding on the same wildebeest carcass in Londolozi:
4 Kambula Boys & 2 Black Dam males "shared" a wildebeest kill
(video after the encounter unfortunately, but it could be the old video from January?)
"A few of the rangers found six male lions feeding on the same wildebeest carcass one morning, they were flabbergasted! The only coalition of six that we know of is the Nkuhlu Males from the south. So for them to be all the way up on the main access road into the lodge would be rather odd. There was certainly some animosity in the air amongst the lions but the rangers could not discern whether this was due to the testosterone-fueled males all trying to get their fair share or was it due to this wildebeest being the convergence of two separate coalitions who were divided between a grudging match and feeding?"

"So at the outset of the afternoon game drive, we head straight there to iron out the kinks and work out just which lions were found. Upon arriving at the remnants of the wildebeest carcass, the lions are nowhere to be seen. Tracks lead me straight down the road to find the Ntsevu Breakaway Pride resting with incredibly full bellies. So if they were on the carcass, then who were the other males?"

"Not long after, Nick found one of the Black Dam Males a few hundred metres away. Helping us piece it all together. As we try and get across to see the Black Dam Male we are interrupted by a herd of elephants and enjoy the antics of a playful youngster zooming around in the green grass."

3 users Like Ngonya's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

It seems Londolozi is calling the Kambula males and their sister the Ntsevu Breakaways. If they show up in Mala Mala I wonder if they'll be called Ntsevu or Kambula.

Anyway, Kambulas and BDM eating together again, crazy how the Kambulas are still nomadic. This is a shame for the Nkuhuma pride as Chela has 3 new cubs, a second BDM litter, and a second one that unfortunately will probably not live for much longer since the BDM are also semi-nomadic.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

Mantimahle Sons
3 users Like Rabubi's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(03-17-2024, 03:24 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It seems Londolozi is calling the Kambula males and their sister the Ntsevu Breakaways. If they show up in Mala Mala I wonder if they'll be called Ntsevu or Kambula.

Anyway, Kambulas and BDM eating together again, crazy how the Kambulas are still nomadic. This is a shame for the Nkuhuma pride as Chela has 3 new cubs, a second BDM litter, and a second one that unfortunately will probably not live for much longer since the BDM are also semi-nomadic.

Hopefully the Black Dam males go back into the area and meet their cubs. I think once they know they do have cubs and they have loyalty from the lionesses they will go into “Dominant Male” mode and officially claim the nkuhumas. I wonder if Chela will call for them to come back? 
Just curious didn’t a few of the lionesses mate with the Tinyo looking Kambula boy? K4 I think he goes by?
I say Tinyo looking as he has a big mane and elbow pouffes similar to Tinyo but of course we don’t know exact paternity.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Ndzengas/N'waswitshakas and Kambulas.

2 users Like NLAL11's post

Ngonya Online

(03-17-2024, 12:42 PM)Rabubi Wrote: Mantimahle Sons
Those are the two Ndzhenga males, Eorenji and then Amahle.

(03-17-2024, 04:38 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: Just curious didn’t a few of the lionesses mate with the Tinyo looking Kambula boy? K4 I think he goes by?
(03-17-2024, 04:38 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: I say Tinyo looking as he has a big mane and elbow pouffes similar to Tinyo but of course we don’t know exact paternity.
What surprises me the most is that u say one of the KBoys in Sabi Sand look like Tinyo(?)
The similar to Tinyo is in KNP (K2/'Snip Tail')
K4 is the blonder but more developed mane, i dont see how he resembles Tinyo

(03-17-2024, 04:38 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(03-17-2024, 03:24 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It seems Londolozi is calling the Kambula males and their sister the Ntsevu Breakaways. If they show up in Mala Mala I wonder if they'll be called Ntsevu or Kambula.

Hopefully the Black Dam males go back into the area and meet their cubs. I think once they know they do have cubs and they have loyalty from the lionesses they will go into “Dominant Male” mode and officially claim the nkuhumas. I wonder if Chela will call for them to come back? 
Just curious didn’t a few of the lionesses mate with the Tinyo looking Kambula boy? K4 I think he goes by?
I say Tinyo looking as he has a big mane and elbow pouffes similar to Tinyo but of course we don’t know exact paternity.

If I remember correctly he was spotted with 3 Nkuhuma females who were the same ones who had temporarily separated from the main pride to spend time with the BDMs. He was observed mating with one of them who I had heard was Amber Eye’s daughter (Avoca offspring) but was also observed being rejected by all 3 females at one point. 

For Chelas litter, I'm quite sure the timing wouldn’t add up in order for K4 to be the sire, nor do I think it makes much difference as the other brothers will certainly not claim the cubs.
1 user Likes KM600's post