There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

PCM and Ndhzenga at just 5km of each other today in Londolozi, with Ndhzengas roaring.

Hopefully they miss each other.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(03-13-2024, 10:46 PM)Mapokser Wrote: PCM and Ndhzenga at just 5km of each other today in Londolozi, with Ndhzengas roaring.

Hopefully they miss each other.

That wouldn't be a good thing at all.  No matter which way that story went.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Blonde Mantimahle son :

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-13-2024, 11:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Blonde Mantimahle son :

That stare! He is looking in top shape
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

PCM back in the west, so probably nothing happened between Ndhzengas and them:

7 users Like Mapokser's post

Ngonya Online

3 different pictures, at least 14 years apart from each other but quite similar. Every male in those pictures somehow related.

All four Kambula boys 'lined' drinking water, March 2024 by Alison Priestley

*This image is copyright of its original author

Back in 2010, their grandfathers, the four Majingilane males lined up drinking water, by Original author

Back in 2012, the four Selati males lined up drinking water, by Brett Thomson 

9 users Like Ngonya's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(03-14-2024, 02:21 AM)Ngonya Wrote: 3 different pictures, at least 14 years apart from each other but quite similar. Every male in those pictures somehow related.

All four Kambula boys 'lined' drinking water, March 2024 by Alison Priestley

Back in 2010, their grandfathers, the four Majingilane males lined up drinking water, by Original author

Back in 2012, the four Selati males lined up drinking water, by Brett Thomson 

6 Mapogos “Lined” drinking great grandfathers the fathers of the kambula males. Fathers of the kambula females mothers? Also related to the kambula boys closer related to the kambula males than the selati males yes? Or where all these photos of these coalitions drinking at the same river?

Ngonya Online

(03-14-2024, 04:47 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: 6 Mapogos “Lined” drinking great grandfathers the fathers of the kambula males. Fathers of the kambula females mothers? Also related to the kambula boys closer related to the kambula males than the selati males yes? Or where all these photos of these coalitions drinking at the same river?
Theres no picture of 6 Mapogo lined up drinking water, only 5, Makhulu was edited in one of those images.
Also isn't it pretty clear im talking about three similar pictures with different coalitions made up of 4 males drinking water? Grin

What does this post have to do with the Mapogo anyway? Laughing 
Selatis are related throught them and i had that picture that is really similar to the one of the Kambulas, four lions lined up drinking at night, the picture of the Mapogos is not as similar, not at all. 
But if it bothers u so much that its needed to reaffirm their existence, well, then there are two photos of 5 Mapogo drinking water together, credits to the original authors 
2005:

2 users Like Ngonya's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(03-14-2024, 05:12 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 04:47 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: 6 Mapogos “Lined” drinking great grandfathers the fathers of the kambula males. Fathers of the kambula females mothers? Also related to the kambula boys closer related to the kambula males than the selati males yes? Or where all these photos of these coalitions drinking at the same river?
Theres no picture of 6 Mapogo lined up drinking water, only 5, Makhulu was edited in one of those images.
Also isn't it pretty clear im talking about three similar pictures with different coalitions made up of 4 males drinking water? Grin

What does this post have to do with the Mapogo anyway? Laughing 
Selatis are related throught them and i had that picture that is really similar to the one of the Kambulas, four lions lined up drinking at night, the picture of the Mapogos is not as similar, not at all. 
But if it bothers u so much that its needed to reaffirm their existence, well, then there are two photos of 5 Mapogo drinking water together, credits to the original authors 
2005:

Nevermind. You took this the complete wrong way which was expected and a shame I wish we could speak about two coalitions without it becoming an argument which is also sad thank you and goodbye
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Damn, the video I shared of the PCM in the West isn't recent, so they may still be on Londolozi.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ngonya Online

(03-14-2024, 06:14 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Nevermind. You took this the complete wrong way which was expected and a shame I wish we could speak about two coalitions without it becoming an argument which is also sad thank you and goodbye
I dont see how this turned into an argument. 
U make a kinda useless observation for no apparent reason, dont see how i took this completely wrong.

Also i say the pic of the Mapogo is not even as similar to the other three, because it isn't. Mapogo are closer to the Kambula than the Selati, how obvious is that?
I apoligize if u feel ofended, i just didnt see the need to bring up the Mapogo all of a sudden, and ur picture mostly speaks for itself

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(03-14-2024, 06:16 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Damn, the video I shared of the PCM in the West isn't recent, so they may still be on Londolozi.

Seen a video earlier of them still in Londolozi dated back just yesterday
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(03-15-2024, 12:16 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 06:16 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Damn, the video I shared of the PCM in the West isn't recent, so they may still be on Londolozi.

Any news on where the N'was are currently? I know that there is video of them roaring at the PCMs, but with the confusions on dates, I am just wondering if both groups are still in the same AO. There was a time I would have given the edge to the PCMs, in such a scenario, but the N'was have proven themselves so many times over the years, I would never consider them as an underdog against any equally sized coalition again. I just hope that no physical confrontation happens, for both groups.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(03-15-2024, 11:51 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 12:16 AM)KM600 Wrote:

Any news on where the N'was are currently? I know that there is video of them roaring at the PCMs, but with the confusions on dates, I am just wondering if both groups are still in the same AO. There was a time I would have given the edge to the PCMs, in such a scenario, but the N'was have proven themselves so many times over the years, I would never consider them as an underdog against any equally sized coalition again. I just hope that no physical confrontation happens, for both groups.

No idea where they currently are. I agree it’s hard to see the N’was running from a coalition but it’s even harder for me to see the PCMs running from a fight where it’s completely even numbers wise. I think it would come down to where exactly it takes place, think we’ve all seen how the positioning / location is a huge factor in territorial battles. N’was tend to sway more towards Western Londolozi which is obviously closer to PCMs territory rather than the opposite, for me favouring the PCMs in these rare disputes, if u can even call it that.
2 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I think the Ndhzengas have return east and PCM west. Nothing happened.

As for a possible clash, there has been speculation by a Londolozi ranger that PCM chased Ndhzengas once, but nothing confirmed. And there was definitely an instance where NK/Skorro, PCM and Ndhzengas went to the same area but nobody knows what happened.

Nothing indicates so far the Ndhzengas would run from an even match. They are very strong in a clash, dealing with the BDM with easy multiple times, and chasing Skorro 1v1 twice. They show enormous confidence when they went to Elephant Plains investigate the clash between PCM and Kambulas.

So running from a clash, especially in their territory is probably not something they'd do. But the PCM are the coalition to have killed 2 male lions in 2 years, the ones to have chased the Kambulas multiples times recently, as well as the BDM too who are always running from Ndhzengas. I think nobody will disagree with the statement that they are some of the most aggressive lions seen in the area.

Smaller PCM once chased Tumbela and NK at the same time, alone.

In a "classic" chasing clash I think anything could happen. Sometimes lions chase each other to a stalemate. With teamwork and experience, lions have isolated other lions in such clashes...

But I doubt the PCM would even entertain the idea of going into a back and forth chasing match, they wouldn't turn around in a 2v2, I think.

Which means if the Ndhzenga charge or hold the ground, it'd come down to a brawl.

Hard to see the smaller Ndhzenga beating a PCM in a serious fight, size difference is huge, the Ndhzenga is smaller/around the same size as K6 in height, length and probably even chest. And although she's huge herself, she's still just a lioness.

Still, smaller lions have fought evenly with bigger lions before, not sure if to this same extent, but who knows.

Luckily though, Ndhzengas and PCM have a huge territory and rarely they come close to the border at the same time. They may hear each other's roars here and there but I don't think either would move deep inside the other's territory to pick a fight.

I hope they never fight, Mangheni and Kambula are 2 of my favorite prides and they sure need their dominant males at full strength to raise the current cubs.
3 users Like Mapokser's post