There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(02-21-2024, 04:44 AM)afortich Wrote: The BDM boys and according to the posting Mohawk and the gang are within a roaring distance at Arathusa

Kinda feel bad for the BDMs atp, obviously one of them is injured and to add salt to the wound, a coalition of 5 has just showed up on the scene in prime Nkuhuma Pride territory. Lions they prolly thought they were done with. Interesting thing is I seen a post earlier about K4 being in Arathusa too so they’re a little bit too close to each other. 

2 users Like KM600's post

Go131810 Offline

When you say a coalition of 5 do you mean the 4 Kambula male lions and their sister?

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2024, 07:44 AM by afortich )

(02-21-2024, 06:21 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 04:44 AM)afortich Wrote: The BDM boys and according to the posting Mohawk and the gang are within a roaring distance at Arathusa

Kinda feel bad for the BDMs atp, obviously one of them is injured and to add salt to the wound, a coalition of 5 has just showed up on the scene in prime Nkuhuma Pride territory. Lions they prolly thought they were done with. Interesting thing is I seen a post earlier about K4 being in Arathusa too so they’re a little bit too close to each other. 

It is a little worrisome bro the situation of the BDMs surrounded by coalitions with a greater number of lions. I think they should've stayed with their 4 brothers.
2 users Like afortich's post

(02-21-2024, 06:38 AM)Go131810 Wrote: When you say a coalition of 5 do you mean the 4 Kambula male lions and their sister?

I was talking about Mohawk and sons which I’ve started to refer to as ‘Nkuhuma Boys.’
1 user Likes KM600's post

(02-21-2024, 07:32 AM)afortich Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 06:21 AM)KM600 Wrote:

It is a little worrisome bro the situation of the BDMs surrounded by coalitions with a greater number of lions. I think they should've stayed with their 4 brothers.

I agree obviously for strength in numbers, but at the same time we don’t know why they left nor if they would’ve ended up separating further down the line anyways. Being a coalition of 6, it was always very likely they were going to split at some point. Taking up a territory adjacent to their brothers would’ve made more sense.
2 users Like KM600's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Nasty wound on Ximhungwe female:

Credits: Savanna

*This image is copyright of its original author

It was missinformation that Mhangeni female is injured like this, its not, its Ximhungwe female.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Philippines Redroadmale Offline

Any news on the tumbela male
1 user Likes Redroadmale's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(02-22-2024, 07:20 AM)Redroadmale Wrote: Any news on the tumbela male

Seen week of 5 Feb accompanying his daughters
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

Mwk85 Offline

Kambula Breakaways sighted trailing a buffalo herd at Umkumbe. Slides (3,4,5,6,8)

5 users Like Mwk85's post

Ttimemarti Offline

So with the southern pride female daughter being a youngest female to give birth since I think sassy do we think the othawas and Styx girls will follow in getting pregnant at a young age bc of how they live… the kambula girls and talamati are 5 years old I believe and this is their first litter

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

That depends.

They may be under lots of stress due to the lack of a proper territory and the constant looming threat of the Ximhungwes. This could delay their first estrus.

On the other hand. They had to mentally mature really fast. Where other cubs of their age would still be playing, they were forced to live as an adult lioness even before their second birthday. This would speed things up.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Southern females were in a complete different scenario.

Their mother was mating with the new males when they were exactly 2yo and the males accepted their presence. Then eventually their mother left to go have her new cubs, leaving the subs alone with the males when they were 2,5yo. This situation triggered their first estrus.

Ttimemarti Offline

(02-22-2024, 11:49 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: That depends.

They may be under lots of stress due to the lack of a proper territory and the constant looming threat of the Ximhungwes. This could delay their first estrus.

On the other hand. They had to mentally mature really fast. Where other cubs of their age would still be playing, they were forced to live as an adult lioness even before their second birthday. This would speed things up.
That’s what I thought as well they’ve been on their own for so long they don’t act like sub adults when we see them they are laying around not playing so it might speed the process up same with the Styx girls the last adult isn’t with them all the time so they’re on their own. Also another question why did they try to chance the mhangeni females that was so puzzling to me

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The BDM boys with full belly

4 users Like afortich's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Mantimahle male.
This coalition unquestionably ranks among the most impressive in the Northern region, if not the entirety of Sabi Sand.
Sightings of them have been rare, but in the past few weeks, that has changed. We’ve been fortunate to see them almost every day recently, and the Torchwood pride with their cubs also made a few appearances.
We’re uncertain why sightings of them have become so frequent lately—perhaps pressure from other lions on the Kruger side? Whatever the cause, we’re certainly not complaining; these males, along with the pride, are simply incredible.

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Potato's post