There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-30-2023, 06:06 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: That's rather not good right?  I think they killed her mother, and she is pregnant.  That will likely not be handled well.

I dont think there is evidence that she is pregnant.

United States T_Ferguson Online

(12-30-2023, 06:16 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 06:06 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: That's rather not good right?  I think they killed her mother, and she is pregnant.  That will likely not be handled well.

I dont think there is evidence that she is pregnant.

OK... I thought they had said that from her time with Orpen.  OK.

NLAL11 Offline

(12-30-2023, 04:56 PM)KM600 Wrote: Floppy Ear.
Did see another post earlier of him with the whole pride.

Great to see him alive and well. Those Styx girls sure do like climbing trees.

@Tr1x24 You said the Talamati pride will be the most powerful in the south, but if these girls can all survive another year, with their mother included, they will be by far the most powerful.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-30-2023, 08:40 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: @Tr1x24 You said the Talamati pride will be the most powerful in the south, but if these girls can all survive another year, with their mother included, they will be by far the most powerful.

Yea, if they settle in the south.

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-30-2023, 04:48 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 02:34 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Wouldn’t they have been able to catch the ones who couldn’t run as fast? I mean they barely ran very gingerly like a light jog

If it was back and forth, I doubt all 5 Nkhulus were present for every altercation and even then injured lions can run surprisingly fast if they need to.
Everyone makes it seem like the 2 chased the 5 back and forth soooooo

Gavskrr Offline

(12-30-2023, 06:06 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 05:00 PM)KM600 Wrote: PCMs following Tsalala lioness 

That's rather not good right?  I think they killed her mother, and she is pregnant.  That will likely not be handled well.

I believe these are different situations, the ancient lioness Tsalala, even though she was pregnant, needed to distract the PC males so they wouldn't go towards her daughter. The lioness Tsalala has no one to protect and can simply avoid them. I don't think a male lion of her weight and size can be as fast as a female, so she has a good chance
2 users Like Gavskrr's post

NLAL11 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2023, 11:19 PM by NLAL11 )

(12-30-2023, 10:39 PM)Gavskrr Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 06:06 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 05:00 PM)KM600 Wrote: PCMs following Tsalala lioness 

That's rather not good right?  I think they killed her mother, and she is pregnant.  That will likely not be handled well.

I believe these are different situations, the ancient lioness Tsalala, even though she was pregnant, needed to distract the PC males so they wouldn't go towards her daughter. The lioness Tsalala has no one to protect and can simply avoid them. I don't think a male lion of her weight and size can be as fast as a female, so she has a good chance

Impossible to say if the situations are different, as we don't know why they killed her mother, we can only speculate. The fact that she is alone and doesn't have securely dominant males to protect her makes her very vulnerable. These two are known for killing lionesses, but I'd be equally as worried for her if the Kambula boys were tracking her scent. She's got to play it very smart, I don't believe it was this precarious for her mother when she hooked up with Nhena.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

The NK females were probably the ones to attack Tsalala, and the PCM were in the same group so naturally they joined the fight.

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-30-2023, 11:34 PM)Mapokser Wrote: The NK females were probably the ones to attack Tsalala, and the PCM were in the same group so naturally they joined the fight.

It was said amber eyes and ridgenose did assist the plains camp males in killing the tsalala female RIP beautiful girl

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Monday, 25 December 2023
  • Nkuhuma pride of lions consisting of five lioness stationary on Wetpatch Open Area.
  • Talamati Breakaway pride of lions consisting of three sub adults hunting zebra at Boundary Pan.
Tuesday, 26 December 2023
  • One Talamati breakaway sub adult lion feeding on a zebra kill with one of the Talamati male lions [Skorro Male] on Bushcamp West.
Wednesday, 27 December 2023
  • One Talamati male lion [Skorro Male] feeding on a zebra kill on Bushcamp West.
Thursday, 28 December 2023
  • Talamati Breakaway pride of lions consisting of two sub adult male lions stationary north of the Elephant Plains Simbambili Cutline.
Friday, 29 December 2023
  • One Nkuhuma lioness stationary at The Rocks.
  • One Talamati male lion [Skorro Male] feeding of a blue wildebeest kill at Sawmill junction Drongo North.
  • Talamati Breakaway sub adult lioness [Male sub-adult] found deceased with a spotted hyena feeding on her carcass east of Bushcamp West.
  • One Kambula male lion and one Nkuhuma lioness stationary on a blue wildebeest kill on Sawmill north of Drongo North.
Saturday, 30 December 2023
  • Nkuhuma pride of lions consisting of two lioness stationary on Arathusa Main Road east of Big Dam Link South.
  • The Kruger male lion and four Torchwood lioness mobile north on the western Manyaleti Boundary junction Buffelshoek East West Cutline.
Sunday, 31 December 2023
  • The Nkuhuma pride of lions consisting of seven lioness and one sub adult male stationary on MalaMala a Main Road south of Arathusa Safari Driveway.
  • One Tumbela male lion stationary on a termite mound on the Londolozi boundary east of Big Dam Link South.
https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...mber-2023/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-31-2023, 05:33 PM by KM600 )

Some of these boys have looked on deaths door for a while now.

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like KM600's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-31-2023, 05:32 PM)KM600 Wrote: Some of these boys have looked on deaths door for a while now.

Are we sure these are Nkhulus? I didn't see it on the post from Fb.

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(12-31-2023, 06:55 PM)sik94 Wrote:
(12-31-2023, 05:32 PM)KM600 Wrote: Some of these boys have looked on deaths door for a while now.

Are we sure these are Nkhulus? I didn't see it on the post from Fb.

I trust the account plus a few of them have consistently looked skinny for a while. The photographers account is also private I believe so most ppl won’t have access.

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(12-30-2023, 11:49 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 11:34 PM)Mapokser Wrote: The NK females were probably the ones to attack Tsalala, and the PCM were in the same group so naturally they joined the fight.

It was said amber eyes and ridgenose did assist the plains camp males in killing the tsalala female RIP beautiful girl

Did something bad happen to tsalala princess or is this conversation about her mother?
Very sad that the PCMs killed tsalala queen during mating…so close to rebuilding the pride.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(12-31-2023, 08:33 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 11:49 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

Did something bad happen to tsalala princess or is this conversation about her mother?
Very sad that the PCMs killed tsalala queen during mating…so close to rebuilding the pride.

I believe some of the conversation on Tsalala were due to my post regarding the PCM's following her, which I personally read as mildly problematic.  I was of the belief that she was pregnant from her time with the Orpen male, but that might not be the case.  Also, since the PCM's are a bit aggressive to females, and the Kambula's are around, it was a bit of a worry to me.  I may be overreacting.