There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-29-2023, 09:31 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: That was almost a very bad decision by the smaller gijima, and was that snip tail that ran first or smudge nose

Snip, he looks to be most agressive of them.

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(12-29-2023, 08:04 PM)sik94 Wrote: It was funny how he ran in blindly and then saw 5 huge males just laying down. He made a very quick assessment and was like nah, not today lmao I was almost expecting him to assume he was already too far in and just go for it but that would have been a very bad decision.

I mean... Lions should never go on the WWKTD model.  (What Would Kinky Tail Do)
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-29-2023, 09:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 09:31 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: That was almost a very bad decision by the smaller gijima, and was that snip tail that ran first or smudge nose

Snip, he looks to be most agressive of them.

Most definitely but I think they all where sleeping or resting lol they got woken up

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

BDM resting

3 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 Even some of the healthy Nkhulus were seen skinny multiple times by now. Smudge and ST are probably the most dominant so they will aways eat well, probably the reason they are always in good condition.

As for results of the clash, it's not that there was a takeover attempt but that if the Gijimas show "weakness" to their neighbours who have so much more numbers, they'd end up at the Nkhulu's mercy.

In a 2v2 one will always be reluctant to go for an all out takeover, the risk is big. But 7 Nkhulus knowing only 2 Gijimas ran from them already, nothing is stopping them.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-29-2023, 11:49 PM)Mapokser Wrote: As for results of the clash, it's not that there was a takeover attempt but that if the Gijimas show "weakness" to their neighbours who have so much more numbers, they'd end up at the Nkhulu's mercy.

In a 2v2 one will always be reluctant to go for an all out takeover, the risk is big. But 7 Nkhulus knowing only 2 Gijimas ran from them already, nothing is stopping them.

I dont think it matters.

Nkhulus at this point know they can beat any 2 lions (even more), as they already did with 2 S.Avocas.

This is not their first encounter with Gijimas, they very well know they are only 2, but still didnt go for their territory.

Big coalitions dont just randomly expand because they can beat their neighbours, theres more to this.

By that logic, big coalitions would just expand and expand, and wouldnt settle nowhere for 2-3 yrs, as coalitions do.

Nkhulus will eventually expand, but theres no reason to believe they will specifically go for Gijimas territory.

Nkhulus most of their time spend in Kruger anyways (based of sightings).

Also, Gijimas showing confidence and no fear roaming Nkhulus territory is definetly better then hidding deep in their own territory. 

Even if Nkhulus chase them back, this shows Nkhulus that these 2 are very bold and confiident males. 

With hidding and not showing your neughbours that you are here and ready to compete, you are giving them signs of weakness.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(12-29-2023, 11:49 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 Even some of the healthy Nkhulus were seen skinny multiple times by now. Smudge and ST are probably the most dominant so they will aways eat well, probably the reason they are always in good condition.

As for results of the clash, it's not that there was a takeover attempt but that if the Gijimas show "weakness" to their neighbours who have so much more numbers, they'd end up at the Nkhulu's mercy.

I doubt that is signigficant. Ndzhengas afaik had no encouter with Birminghams after they were chased back theon once (the ocassion during which 3 of them were chased by 1 Brimingham, ando one of them by the other one), they moved in to the north eventually anyway (more or less finding Avocas instead). The desire to expand and not being content wtih what they have will be predominant driving force anyway. Ofc they would exceptions and animals don't behae according what we could perceive as a rule, but I am not sold on Nkhulus (atm) acting with scuh an intent (like Majingilane probably would, they excelled in striking on their terms). For sure such an encounter could only help in building up confidence.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

There's a telegram channel saying that a relevant member from the facebook groups is saying that word from a guide on Kirkman's Kamp is that the Gijimas turned around and chased the Nkhulus back, who scattered.

Can anyone verify this? Seems like a huge claim to make.

Friarfan619 Offline

I can't verify, but I've seen it mentioned on all accounts I follow on insta

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2023, 01:58 PM by Potato )

(12-30-2023, 08:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: There's a telegram channel saying that a relevant member from the facebook groups is saying that word from a guide on Kirkman's Kamp is that the Gijimas turned around and chased the Nkhulus back, who scattered.

Can anyone verify this? Seems like a huge claim to make.

I read that supposadly it was alll day back and forth chassing between this 2 coalition without any actual physical clash.

Ttimemarti Offline

Wouldn’t they have been able to catch the ones who couldn’t run as fast? I mean they barely ran very gingerly like a light jog

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(12-30-2023, 02:34 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Wouldn’t they have been able to catch the ones who couldn’t run as fast? I mean they barely ran very gingerly like a light jog

If it was back and forth, I doubt all 5 Nkhulus were present for every altercation and even then injured lions can run surprisingly fast if they need to.

( This post was last modified: 12-30-2023, 04:59 PM by KM600 )

Floppy Ear.
Did see another post earlier of him with the whole pride.

4 users Like KM600's post

PCMs following Tsalala lioness 

5 users Like KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(12-30-2023, 05:00 PM)KM600 Wrote: PCMs following Tsalala lioness 

That's rather not good right?  I think they killed her mother, and she is pregnant.  That will likely not be handled well.