There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ttimemarti Offline

After this they roared together!!! Amazing news! Merry Christmas hopefully they stay together
5 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Friarfan619 Online

" target="_blank" class="post_link">]
]
10 users Like Friarfan619's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

It'd be perfect now if Kambula joined her Tsalala cousin under these 2.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(12-26-2023, 01:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It'd be perfect now if Kambula joined her Tsalala cousin under these 2.

Would have to happen now before Tsalala starts showing signs of heavy pregnancy.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 02:14 AM by Tr1x24 )

Will be interesting to see what these 2 will do.

I assume they would try to carve territory here, which Skorro/Orpen male was trying to do for a while now, but was pushed easily by Ndhzengas and BDMs once they heard his roars, although he kinda was semi-territorial on very small area.

I guess plus is that BDMs are not in this area anymore, and Kambulas are looking more towards north, but still its questionable if these 2 can stand off Ndhzengas and PC males, who will prob respond to these roars which are coming from area they might consider theirs (or border).

I think we can expect conflicts in this area very soon.

Even if they carve territory here, not sure how long is that sustainable unless 1 coalition doesnt back down or gets defeated (similar to what happened with S.Matimbas after countless conflicts).
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 02:18 AM by Mapokser )

Another thing is that Skorro always seemed to be a very confident male, even trying to be territorial alone while surrounded by duos.

A partner at prime age will give him a huge boost in confidence.

It'll come down to NK now to finally show his confidence, this guy is a big male, he has seen a thousand battles, all he needs is confidence and he'll be a formidable opponent. I hope they can get a few more months of bonding and peace until they face any real challenge, so they can have their teamwork boosted by then.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 03:47 AM by KM600 )

(12-26-2023, 02:13 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Will be interesting to see what these 2 will do.

I assume they would try to carve territory here, which Skorro/Orpen male was trying to do for a while now, but was pushed easily by Ndhzengas and BDMs once they heard his roars, although he kinda was semi-territorial on very small area.

I guess plus is that BDMs are not in this area anymore, and Kambulas are looking more towards north, but still its questionable if these 2 can stand off Ndhzengas and PC males, who will prob respond to these roars which are coming from area they might consider theirs (or border).

I think we can expect conflicts in this area very soon.

Even if they carve territory here, not sure how long is that sustainable unless 1 coalition doesnt back down or gets defeated (similar to what happened with S.Matimbas after countless conflicts).

Tbh they’re that close to the BDMs and Kambula males where I can’t completely rule them out as threats to Skorro and Nkuhuma Male. Khanya and Dzwihala in KNP if it’s permanent could be a blessing in disguise as it’s one less possible coalition they may end up facing but u also have Mohawk and Nkuhuma young males that move around quite a bit and they can’t be ruled out either.
1 user Likes KM600's post

NLAL11 Offline

(12-26-2023, 02:17 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Another thing is that Skorro always seemed to be a very confident male, even trying to be territorial alone while surrounded by duos.

It'll come down to NK now to finally show his confidence, this guy is a big male, he has seen a thousand battles, all he needs is confidence and he'll be a formidable opponent. I hope they can get a few more months of bonding and peace until they face any real challenge, so they can have their teamwork boosted by then.

How the Nkuhuma male behaves in this coaltion will be everything. He's always had the potential to be an absolute beast. He just needs to realise it. They're a similar age so I think this will be a good parntership for him. As you said, hope they get time to finish forming their bond.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

NLAL11 Offline

Kambula lionesses and cubs. Ndzenga male (Amahle).

5 users Like NLAL11's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

(12-26-2023, 01:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It'd be perfect now if Kambula joined her Tsalala cousin under these 2.

Uuhhh, thats gonna be a bigger issue in terms of inbreeding. Kambula and tsalala girls are nhenha's daughters. NK male is also nhenha's son. Yah yah they also look like nhenha's brothers but in the end they're too closely related

Canada Robot00 Offline

(12-26-2023, 04:15 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 02:17 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Another thing is that Skorro always seemed to be a very confident male, even trying to be territorial alone while surrounded by duos.

How the Nkuhuma male behaves in this coaltion will be everything. He's always had the potential to be an absolute beast. He just needs to realise it. They're a similar age so I think this will be a good parntership for him. As you said, hope they get time to finish forming their bond.
I dont think they're closely in age. NK is 8yrs plus. He's on the last yr or two of his prime while orpen skorro is in his prime around 6yrs. Yes two years apart doesnt seem much in human years but for male lions it's a huge difference as they age much faster. They start showing signs of old once they get to around 10yrs

I do hope NK has finally has the balls to stand and fight with young orpen skorro. Ive been hoping that from him since forever
1 user Likes Robot00's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Robot00 Tsalala is also a Birmingham daughter so the point is moot already.

Besides, NK looks a lot like Mfumo who was already dead when K12 was sired, he never looked anything like Nhenha. Tsalala was only seen mating with Nhenha so there's higher chances that he is her father so it's quite likely that NK is not even a half-brother to either Tsalala or K12, but only cousins.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(12-26-2023, 05:08 AM)Robot00 Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 04:15 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:

I dont think they're closely in age. NK is 8yrs plus. He's on the last yr or two of his prime while orpen skorro is in his prime around 6yrs. Yes two years apart doesnt seem much in human years but for male lions it's a huge difference as they age much faster. They start showing signs of old once they get to around 10yrs

I do hope NK has finally has the balls to stand and fight with young orpen skorro. Ive been hoping that from him since forever

No, the NK Male is not 8 years old yet.  He was born in mid-2016, so about 7.5 years.  It's not uncommon for males to get partner(s) later in their life, especially if they're lone males.  It's not that easy finding and keeping a partner because of location, temperament, not being familiar with each other since birth, etc... Plus, it takes a bit of luck, too.  

What do you mean balls?  This male is probably one of the best survivors.  He's physically healthy and solid looking.  Not to mention out-lasting both his younger, less wise/healthy partners, and his older, more aggressive (but that was his downfall!) uncle/father.  Males have to know when to fight and when to judge that it would not be good to do that based on condition and overall health.  If he wants to stay fit when he can finally be a pride male, he also needs to keep his healthy state as much as possible.  Male lions often sacrifice their lives for their pride in protecting them.  If he was too aggressive that wouldn't be possible when he finally reaches the pinnacle of his life.

Male lions can't force partnerships and become territorial.  Everything has to come together.  The Delaporte Male could not become a pride male earlier in life, after all, he was a lone male, plus he lost many unrelated partners to other males and probably to poachers.  He did the best he could and has finally reached the pinnacle....but yes, it may be a short-lived one, however he still was successful and maybe passed on his genes in the recent mating sessions he's been seen in.  He's had strong/young partners for a long time now, it's just that they only recently become pride/territorial males.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(12-26-2023, 01:17 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: After this they roared together!!! Amazing news! Merry Christmas hopefully they stay together

That brought a smile to my face and made part of my Christmas Day!  The NK Male initiated it, and then the SY Male followed it up, inspired by his new partner!
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-26-2023, 08:39 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 01:17 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: After this they roared together!!! Amazing news! Merry Christmas hopefully they stay together

That brought a smile to my face and made part of my Christmas Day!  The NK Male initiated it, and then the SY Male followed it up, inspired by his new partner!

It was beautiful I hope they stay together!!!