There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Black Dam Males this morning

*This image is copyright of its original author

They also mentioned S8 Males autopsy results, he had TB and his cheek was cracked. They also found a hornets nest in his genital region...
9 users Like Tonpa's post

Ttimemarti Offline

The smaller southern black dam male doesn’t look healthy or is it just me

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(11-12-2023, 09:49 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: The smaller southern black dam male doesn’t look healthy or is it just me
He doesn’t but they were in a similar state just two weeks ago so I wouldn’t say it’s anything to worry about yet. I know they don’t have a pride but the consistency of them being skinny might just be them not being as good at hunting as the other male lions in Sabi Sands, for example I haven’t seen Talamati YMs, Nkuhuma Male or Kambula breakaways in this kind of condition, atleast not recently anyways. They also stay in the same area majority of the time and I’m guessing this doesn’t help them hunting wise.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-12-2023, 09:49 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: The smaller southern black dam male doesn’t look healthy or is it just me

Only skinny, they have been doing a lot of mating recently, so understandable.

And as @KM600 said, them being territorial males who still dont have consistent pride for stable food source, they need to hunt for themselves, but have limited options as they need to hunt in their territory, unlike nomadic males who travel whole reserve following and hunting buffaloes and other animals.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-12-2023, 09:21 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Black Dam Males this morning

They also mentioned S8 Males autopsy results, he had TB and his cheek was cracked. They also found a hornets nest in his genital region...

Cheek was cracked, what does that mean the inside or outside of his cheek was chapped? Hornets nest in his genital region, so those weren't ticks that I saw congregating? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 07:48 PM by Duco Ndona )

The cheek would be a huge issue taking in nutrients and fluids. So I can see that being an big factor. 

The hornets thing.. Its one of those cursed things that I have to think about to understand but at the same time would really like not to.. It may just be an error in translation or the game of telephone though.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Contributor

(11-12-2023, 07:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Cheek was cracked, what does that mean the inside or outside of his cheek was chapped? Hornets nest in his genital region, so those weren't ticks that I saw congregating? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

That was all the details unfortunately regarding that wound, "A cracked cheek" word for word. They think he had some interaction with a buffalo shortly before he died. 

The hornets nest thing sounds so bizarre to me, I'm guessing the TB, a facial fracture and repeated stinging just overwhelmed his body?
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 09:29 PM by BA0701 )

(11-12-2023, 07:29 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 07:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

That was all the details unfortunately regarding that wound, "A cracked cheek" word for word. They think he had some interaction with a buffalo shortly before he died. 

The hornets nest thing sounds so bizarre to me, I'm guessing the TB, a facial fracture and repeated stinging just overwhelmed his body?

Bizarre is the perfect adjective for the hornets nest. I remember thinking those "ticks" looked huge. Man, such a great, awesome, male lion, to go out like that is terrible, but as we all know, too well, this is how difficult their lives can be, all too often, unfortunately.
5 users Like BA0701's post

5/6 Talamati breakaways just made an impala kill on WildEarth cam, looked like one of the males was missing. One of the guides was tracking the BDMs and although being quite far away from where the kill was made, said the BDMs were heading in the direction of Buffelshoek. Whether they reach there or not is a completely different story but I wonder if they have already noticed a lack of male presence in that Djuma/Buffelshoek area with S8 having passed.
5 users Like KM600's post

Contributor

Tuesday, 7 November 2023
  • The Imbali male lion was stationary at Djuma Dam.
Wednesday, 8 November 2023
  • One Nkuhuma lioness stationary on Gowri Main junction Rhino Cutline Link.
  • The Torchwood pride of lions consisting of seven individual’s stationary south of Khaya Manzi Dam.
  • The Torchwood pride of lions consisting of six individuals trailing a breeding herd of approximately four hundred Cape buffalo along Rhino Cutline.
Thursday, 9 November 2023
  • The Talamati Breakaway lioness was stationary on the Buffelshoek Gowrie Cutline junction Sandy Patch.
Friday, 10 November 2023
  • The Talamati Breakaway pride of lions consisting of one lioness and four sub adults were stationary east of Tamboti Dam.
 https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...-november/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 12:44 AM by afortich )

S8 autopsy determined that died of TB and broken cheek, and BDM 

6 users Like afortich's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 02:19 AM by T_Ferguson )

(11-13-2023, 12:42 AM)afortich Wrote: S8 autopsy determined that died of TB and broken cheek, and BDM 

So possible Buffalo kick to the cheek pushing the TB into overdrive?  I wonder how many people will apologize for ripping into all the rangers and vets that said TB that they were "totally completely stupidly wrong."

Hornets nest in the genitals? Umm... nope, don't need to think about that one....

That's a terrible thought. Poor boy.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

( This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 07:31 PM by KM600 )

5 users Like KM600's post

Super Moderator

(11-13-2023, 07:31 PM)KM600 Wrote:

Thanks, my friend.
3 users Like BA0701's post

( This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 11:42 PM by KM600 )

Talamati female with Ndzhenga male, still don’t have high hopes for majority, if not all Talamati cubs once they’re born given the current competition in Sabi Sands but mating with other males is a smart move for them.

Nkuhuma Male with a warthog at the Western parts of Londolozi.

7 users Like KM600's post