There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I don't think he owned any piece of land in SS, he worked for Idube.

Though speaking of it I remember someone saying to take what he says with a grain of salt regarding the issue with the Sand River Pride because he'll want to protect his lodges, status and what not... I decided not to reply since the discussion was dragging on an unrelated thread, but regarding this, as he himself said, the SRP was the only reliable pride in the Western Sector at that time, it wasn't in the interest of any of the lodges to shot the pride dead, it was the only pride they had to show to their guests. The local authorities outside the reserve are the culprits for what happened.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 11-07-2023, 03:24 AM by BA0701 )

(11-07-2023, 02:56 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I don't think he owned any piece of land in SS, he worked for Idube.

Though speaking of it I remember someone saying to take what he says with a grain of salt regarding the issue with the Sand River Pride because he'll want to protect his lodges, status and what not... I decided not to reply since the discussion was dragging on an unrelated thread, but regarding this, as he himself said, the SRP was the only reliable pride in the Western Sector at that time, it wasn't in the interest of any of the lodges to shot the pride dead, it was the only pride they had to show to their guests. The local authorities outside the reserve are the culprits for what happened.

Actually, my comment didn't have anything to do with that conversation. But, since you brought it up, you touched on the point I was trying to make. While I do not believe that Wilhem Botha wanted to, or made the decision to kill those lions, I can understand others opposite opinions, given the photos that were taken and then published.

Perhaps you are able to answer another question that came up during that discussion. How is it that we have a second, and seemingly unrelated Sand River Pride, was it a case of another unnamed pride being found near the sand river, after the loss of the first pride? Sort of like we have several Blondies, Dark Manes, Dreadlocks, etc... Though, I am not sure that same convention works when discussing prides, since those names imply a particular bloodline.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Definitely not a fan of name the new pride the sand river pride it’s very very odd but nothing I can do. Same lion names a bit different you can name lions the same name but just put the coalition they are with and it’s all fine
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

Poor S8 just cannot catch a break, possibly snake bit, but whatever has happened it is really wreaking havoc on his body, then he gets charged by a hippo, then at night time he gets chased by a rhino, by the same water hole.

7 users Like BA0701's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(11-07-2023, 09:04 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Poor S8 just cannot catch a break, possibly snake bit, but whatever has happened it is really wreaking havoc on his body, then he gets charged by a hippo, then at night time he gets chased by a rhino, by the same water hole.

I'm just glad he had enough alertness and strength to jump out of the way of that train, cuz the last thing we want is seeing him get ragdolled by a rhino on the dam cam.
2 users Like sik94's post

KM600 Offline

(11-07-2023, 12:21 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Vets should be called for the S8 male. 2 Talamatis died at the same time in a very suspicious way and recently the last Talamati was snared. Unless they can verify his condition is natural, vets should be called.

When they suspected Blondie Avoca was shot in the head they called the vets.
As much as I agree with how weird it is, I’m not sure this would help S8. I don’t claim to be a vet or anything like that, but the best way to confirm this is natural would most likely be darting him and deciding on the outcome from there. Surely darting him would be extremely risky given how ill he currently is, not only that but it would be for nothing if they darted him only to realise it is indeed from a snake bite and from there can’t help out any other way treatment wise and the darting would have been useless. Not only that but given how weak he is, u can’t risk him being out for however long as at some point he needs access to food.

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-07-2023, 04:34 PM by KM600 )

Mohawk and his sons have returned. BDMs have constantly been seen with the Nkuhumas over the last few days so I think it’s safe to say an altercation has taken place, guide doesn’t mention anything about either Mohawk and the Nkuhuma YMs or BDMs being injured so I’m guessing it wasn’t seen nor serious. 

2 users Like KM600's post

RookiePundit Offline

(11-07-2023, 03:21 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 02:56 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I don't think he owned any piece of land in SS, he worked for Idube.

Actually, my comment didn't have anything to do with that conversation. But, since you brought it up, you touched on the point I was trying to make. While I do not believe that Wilhem Botha wanted to, or made the decision to kill those lions, I can understand others opposite opinions, given the photos that were taken and then published.

Perhaps you are able to answer another question that came up during that discussion. How is it that we have a second, and seemingly unrelated Sand River Pride, was it a case of another unnamed pride being found near the sand river, after the loss of the first pride? Sort of like we have several Blondies, Dark Manes, Dreadlocks, etc... Though, I am not sure that same convention works when discussing prides, since those names imply a particular bloodline.

We also have Gijima coalition again.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

RookiePundit Offline

(11-07-2023, 11:09 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 12:21 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Vets should be called for the S8 male. 2 Talamatis died at the same time in a very suspicious way and recently the last Talamati was snared. Unless they can verify his condition is natural, vets should be called.

When they suspected Blondie Avoca was shot in the head they called the vets.
As much as I agree with how weird it is, I’m not sure this would help S8. I don’t claim to be a vet or anything like that, but the best way to confirm this is natural would most likely be darting him and deciding on the outcome from there. Surely darting him would be extremely risky given how ill he currently is, not only that but it would be for nothing if they darted him only to realise it is indeed from a snake bite and from there can’t help out any other way treatment wise and the darting would have been useless. Not only that but given how weak he is, u can’t risk him being out for however long as at some point he needs access to food.

I kind of think if they dart him they would have a food source ready (say half a goat) for him to plant there to help him to recover. For sure for the case it is a man caused issue.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

KM600 Offline

(11-07-2023, 04:39 PM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 03:21 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

We also have Gijima coalition again.
Always wondered what the origins were of the newer Gijima males, are they related to the older ones or is it an area they come from.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Poor S8.  If S8 goes so soon after the S. Avocas, it's just sad, and also rather amazing how lion dynamics work, and how fragile they all really are.  Dude lived a long life for a solo male though.
5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

They darted him this morning and took samples

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-07-2023, 05:27 PM)KM600 Wrote: Always wondered what the origins were of the newer Gijima males, are they related to the older ones or is it an area they come from.

No, Lion Sands named them Gijimas.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Well.. this is worse news than Snake Bite.

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(11-07-2023, 05:58 PM)Tonpa Wrote: They darted him this morning and took samples

*This image is copyright of its original author

Okay nevermind false info, they just visually observed him apparently
2 users Like Tonpa's post