There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Something is definitely wrong, made me think of Junior Nkuhuma Orpen who had an anthrax attack which killed him. S8s face doesn't look as swollen but the symptoms look pretty similar.
1 user Likes sik94's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-06-2023, 10:59 AM by KM600 )

These kind of situations just make me appreciate lions that little bit more tbh, seeing how hard their lives can be. So many threats to their well-being whether it’s hunting injuries, diseases, snares more so on the North side of his territory going into Manyeleti but a snake bite might be what finishes him off, you couldn’t have guessed it. Remember having the same train of thought after Dark Mane died from buffalo after surviving for as long as he did, and then when it’s finally looking promising he dies, tragic. The Talamati breakaway subadults haven’t been in the best condition recently, especially as the lone lioness has spent some time away so S8 would be a big loss, he’s a fighter tho so if it can be beaten, I believe he will.
5 users Like KM600's post

BigLion39 Offline

Hope S8 makes it. I feel his journey was not over yet. Damn!
5 users Like BigLion39's post

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline

(11-06-2023, 10:57 AM)KM600 Wrote: These kind of situations just make me appreciate lions that little bit more tbh, seeing how hard their lives can be. So many threats to their well-being whether it’s hunting injuries, diseases, snares more so on the North side of his territory going into Manyeleti but a snake bite might be what finishes him off, you couldn’t have guessed it. Remember having the same train of thought after Dark Mane died from buffalo after surviving for as long as he did, and then when it’s finally looking promising he dies, tragic. The Talamati breakaway subadults haven’t been in the best condition recently, especially as the lone lioness has spent some time away so S8 would be a big loss, he’s a fighter tho so if it can be beaten, I believe he will.

Why is the lioness away from the subs??  Aren't 2 or 3 of them her own offspring?  Is she abandoning them already?  I hope she's also not sick!  It's weird how 2/3 lionesses suddenly get sick and die, plus now possibly S8, and maybe the last adult?!

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(11-06-2023, 10:35 AM)sik94 Wrote: Something is definitely wrong, made me think of Junior Nkuhuma Orpen who had an anthrax attack which killed him. S8s face doesn't look as swollen but the symptoms look pretty similar.

The guide said he god a good look and there does seem to be a bite in his hind leg region with swelling

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(11-06-2023, 06:54 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 10:57 AM)KM600 Wrote: These kind of situations just make me appreciate lions that little bit more tbh, seeing how hard their lives can be. So many threats to their well-being whether it’s hunting injuries, diseases, snares more so on the North side of his territory going into Manyeleti but a snake bite might be what finishes him off, you couldn’t have guessed it. Remember having the same train of thought after Dark Mane died from buffalo after surviving for as long as he did, and then when it’s finally looking promising he dies, tragic. The Talamati breakaway subadults haven’t been in the best condition recently, especially as the lone lioness has spent some time away so S8 would be a big loss, he’s a fighter tho so if it can be beaten, I believe he will.

Why is the lioness away from the subs??  Aren't 2 or 3 of them her own offspring?  Is she abandoning them already?  I hope she's also not sick!  It's weird how 2/3 lionesses suddenly get sick and die, plus now possibly S8, and maybe the last adult?!
This is the same lioness who was said to have been snared and ever since then, I don’t think she’s been seen with all 5 subs together. She was just with one of the subs and S8 around a week ago. No chance she’s abandoned them, infact it’s possible she was actually snared while heading into Manyeleti looking for a source of food.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Hope this king will recover.

5 users Like afortich's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-06-2023, 10:13 PM by criollo2mil )

(11-06-2023, 07:58 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 06:54 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:

This is the same lioness who was said to have been snared and ever since then, I don’t think she’s been seen with all 5 subs together. She was just with one of the subs and S8 around a week ago. No chance she’s abandoned them, infact it’s possible she was actually snared while heading into Manyeleti looking for a source of food.

Ranger Gabe said all Talamati Breakaways had reunited a few days ago so I do think she’s been w them.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

NLAL11 Offline

Mala Mala video. Fourways pride on a zebra kill. Two adult lionesses and three sub adult males. Think this would be a breakaway maybe, as these subs are probably sons of the Kruger males.

It's a shame they don't put the map in their videos anymore, I liked seeing where in Mala Mala the sighting took place.
8 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-07-2023, 12:03 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: It's a shame they don't put the map in their videos anymore, I liked seeing where in Mala Mala the sighting took place.

Fourways pride is occasionaly seen on eastern MM boundary towards Kruger.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Vets should be called for the S8 male. 2 Talamatis died at the same time in a very suspicious way and recently the last Talamati was snared. Unless they can verify his condition is natural, vets should be called.

When they suspected Blondie Avoca was shot in the head they called the vets.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-07-2023, 12:26 AM by Tr1x24 )

(11-06-2023, 06:58 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The guide said he god a good look and there does seem to be a bite in his hind leg region with swelling

Also the way he is running here from hippo, looks like he is slightly jumping on that leg:

Very likely he was bitten by snake, hope he can pull it thru, he needs a meal.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-07-2023, 09:29 AM by Wyld@Heart Edit Reason: Grammar )

(11-07-2023, 12:21 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Unless they can verify his condition is natural, vets should be called.
The WildEarth guide did say that the relevant people have been informed and are aware of his condition. I do suspect that if they feel the condition is unnatural then action will be taken. It's likely they're evaluating the possibilities as all this is unfolding without actually informing anyone of the processes that are being followed. 

All we can do is wait and see. He needs a meal but his overall condition isn't majorly terrible just yet although his body will be working overtime to try and fight whatever is ailing him. Unfortunately, his pride system also 'failed' in that he's left with just a single adult lioness who herself has had issues so finding that meal to help him gain sustenance is also going to be very hard to come by. He's sought out water which will help, but it's going to be touch and go for him.
6 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-07-2023, 12:24 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 06:58 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The guide said he god a good look and there does seem to be a bite in his hind leg region with swelling

Also the way he is running here from hippo, looks like he is slightly jumping on that leg:

Very likely he was bitten by snake, hope he can pull it thru, he needs a meal.

Came here to post this same video. While there is a hitch in his step, he was at least able to respond and get himself out of danger rather quickly in this incident. The guide said he believes S8 is strong enough, and that he'll be able to pull through this. He clearly wants to keep himself near a water source, so he might lay near this lake for a bit. You could see large congregations of ticks near his groin, and up on his chest near his mane, areas he should typically be able to clean himself. so whatever has happened, a likely snake bite, is really taking it's toll on hm, his body is fighting hard right now.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

I have a couple of questions, that are unrelated to any recent events. As we all know, Rob The Ranger was in Sabi Sands during the Mapogo period, then moved to Masai Mara, where he now owns at least one reserve, and I have read it is actually more than one that he owns down there.

Anyhow, the questions I have is did he own any reserves in Sabi Sands during his time there, and if he did, does he still own them?

Regardless of the answers to those questions, one thing nobody can argue is that Rob has been front and center, to witness so much lion history, he has had quite a career so far.
2 users Like BA0701's post