There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-01-2023, 03:17 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: When you say Imbali male... Is this the new pride male? Or one of S8's sons? Or S8 when he was younger?

This is 1/3 Imbali males who are territorial at H1-2 road, they are sons of Mluwati males.

This was posted in wrong thread.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Talamatis boys, queen Tsalala, PC boys, Mangheni pride, Nkulu boys

6 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2023, 09:07 AM by BA0701 )

(09-02-2023, 08:56 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 08:51 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 08:05 AM)Robot00 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 04:37 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 04:05 AM)KM600 Wrote:

Gijima males were mating with one of the Talamati lionesses, would be the wrong move imo. Unless the Talamatis were to move South, they’d have no support for the cubs surrounded by coalitions, no way the cubs survive. Even if they were to move South, u still have the NSW males along with the 4 Kambula young males and no doubt part of their territory would intercept with the Mhangeni pride controlled by the PCMs. There’s too much competition in Sabi Sands rn to have cubs with absent fathers.

Unless they've abandoned the Southern Pride, and if that is the case it'd be even more disastrous, imo.
If that happens and the four bboys sons swooshes in to claim the southern pride then it isnt too bad but then personally i dont want that to happen because my current two favorite biggest coalitions will eventually clash

The two sub females, that the Gijima have allowed to stay, may not be so lucky with other new males, they still aren't old enough to procreate to date. If that happened, the pride could essentially be down to the remaining older female again, and that would absolutely be a disaster imo.
Wait the Southern Pride has 3 females and only one of them is old enough to mate with?

@KM600 I am moving this, as we had another tangent go a little too long. But, this is my reply regarding the Southern Pride.

Yes, the last adult had two daughters from the Nwas that the Gijimas allowed to remain with the pride when they took it over. There was word that she has since had more cubs, but I have not seen pics of them.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(09-02-2023, 09:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 08:56 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 08:51 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 08:05 AM)Robot00 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 04:37 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 04:05 AM)KM600 Wrote:

Gijima males were mating with one of the Talamati lionesses, would be the wrong move imo. Unless the Talamatis were to move South, they’d have no support for the cubs surrounded by coalitions, no way the cubs survive. Even if they were to move South, u still have the NSW males along with the 4 Kambula young males and no doubt part of their territory would intercept with the Mhangeni pride controlled by the PCMs. There’s too much competition in Sabi Sands rn to have cubs with absent fathers.

Unless they've abandoned the Southern Pride, and if that is the case it'd be even more disastrous, imo.
If that happens and the four bboys sons swooshes in to claim the southern pride then it isnt too bad but then personally i dont want that to happen because my current two favorite biggest coalitions will eventually clash

The two sub females, that the Gijima have allowed to stay, may not be so lucky with other new males, they still aren't old enough to procreate to date. If that happened, the pride could essentially be down to the remaining older female again, and that would absolutely be a disaster imo.
Wait the Southern Pride has 3 females and only one of them is old enough to mate with?

@KM600 I am moving this, as we had another tangent go a little too long. But, this is my reply regarding the Southern Pride.

Yes, the last adult had two daughters from the Nwas that the Gijimas allowed to remain with the pride when they took it over. There was word that she has since had more cubs, but I have not seen pics of them.
Surprised they stayed with the pride considering the lack of females, then again there isn’t any other pride near them that isn’t/wasn’t under control from other males.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

There is the Styx pride, which was left in limbo when the Nwas left. But most likely the Gijimas werent aware of them at first.

At that age, the daughters were capable hunters. So the Southern pride had three lionesses hunting for them and one available to mate. Which isnt too bad of a result for a first takeover.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(09-01-2023, 03:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 03:17 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: When you say Imbali male... Is this the new pride male? Or one of S8's sons? Or S8 when he was younger?

This is 1/3 Imbali males who are territorial at H1-2 road, they are sons of Mluwati males.

This was posted in wrong thread.

Thhanks for pointing this out. I definitely thought I had posted in the Kruger thread
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Mwk85 Online

Announcement on Gingerella having dropped cubs.

Den site in the middle of the Sand River with the older Ximhungwe lioness keeping watch outside of the thicket. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Mwk85's post

( This post was last modified: 09-03-2023, 06:10 PM by BA0701 )

New Scar video
5 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Scar is saying that the next Avoca sighting after their sighting with Hamilton pride, was the one with only one male in Mala Mala. Maybe the previous info about them being seen down south again after leaving the Hamilton females wasn't reliable after all.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Just a quick thought, would any of u say the legacy of a coalition is altered by how successful their offspring becomes, I’m not just talking about making it to independence but how successful they go onto become in their own lives  in terms of furthering their bloodline or would u say a coalition/lion is rated on how much offspring they produce that makes it to adulthood no matter what kind of life they end up having.
3 users Like KM600's post

Super Moderator

(09-03-2023, 06:03 PM)KM600 Wrote: Just a quick thought, would any of u say the legacy of a coalition is altered by how successful their offspring becomes, I’m not just talking about making it to independence but how successful they go onto become in their own lives  in terms of furthering their bloodline or would u say a coalition/lion is rated on how much offspring they produce that makes it to adulthood no matter what kind of life they end up having.

For me personally, I believe it is how they see their own cubs to adulthood. Too many unknown dangers out there to hold happenstance against the father who did his part, and saw the cubs grow up.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2023, 06:22 PM by BA0701 )

(09-03-2023, 08:50 AM)KM600 Wrote:

New Scar video

@KM600 Please review the site rules, located here, as I have deleted your post of this Scar video in the Avoca thread. We do not permit posting the same thing in multiple threads. I am also providing the link on how to embed Youtube videos into your posts, I fixed this one.

Forum Rules 

How to embed videos
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Contributor

To be honest. Most of the lions and coalitions of the past few years will likely be forgotten in a few years. They are nothing more than the average, lions take over a pride, have cubs and are then beaten stories we heard a countless times.

Its more when something unusual happens. Like the Othawa Duo. Tailless Tsalala, Mhangeni twelve or the Mapogos, that they truly enter history.

Tylermartin! Offline

(09-03-2023, 06:26 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: To be honest. Most of the lions and coalitions of the past few years will likely be forgotten in a few years. They are nothing more than the average, lions take over a pride, have cubs and are then beaten stories we heard a countless times.

Its more when something unusual happens. Like the Othawa Duo. Tailless Tsalala, Mhangeni twelve or the Mapogos, that they truly enter history.

Examples of the lions/ coalitions we will forget?

Contributor

Well. Take your pick of the current coalitions. Only few of them have a cool or tragic story attached to them that is likely to be brought up in 2033.