There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-02-2023, 02:07 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Tumbela male being this dominant over a kill undoubtedly had to factor into the Nkuhuma male rejoining the Talamati boys.
Stretched out interpretation. There is never love between lions when it comes to share the food, it is normal. Also Nkuchuma male eventually feed on the kill as we could see on the video so it is not really that Tumbela dominated the kill, he was forced to share after all.
3 users Like Potato's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I doubt those would treat him differently.
He is an ailing lion. An outsider that lacks the bond those boys have build from the day they were born.

Joining a coalition, especially like this isnt just a matter of finding eachother and rubbing noses. He is going to have to prove he is an worthy addition.

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(07-02-2023, 01:53 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(07-01-2023, 05:33 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Ruh Roh...  What happened here?  Weren't there reports recently that they had drifted to Londolozi and got a bit too close to the N'Was?   Or am I confusing reports?

They were seen in Londolozi close to a week ago now but I didn't see any mention of of them coming into contact with the Nwaswitshaka's when I shared the information. Not saying that they didn't, just saying there was no report of them doing so. The injury may have come from a run in with another group of lions or it could be from a hunting accident, perhaps we'll get a better idea of the cause of it at some point.

I thought I had read somewhere (not here) that the N'Was were going back from Londo where they had a run-in with the PCM's  With Twitter down I can't find it now, so I may be very wrong.

NLAL11 Offline

(07-02-2023, 02:47 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I doubt those would treat him differently.
He is an ailing lion. An outsider that lacks the bond those boys have build from the day they were born.

Joining a coalition, especially like this isnt just a matter of finding eachother and rubbing noses. He is going to have to prove he is an worthy addition.

Wide Nose always seemed pretty bonded with the other N'waswitshakas, despite being an outsider. I think it depends on the lions in the coalition, and the age. The Talamati boys are still quite young, so good for bonding with.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Those already bonded a long time ago. It at first probably wasnt much different.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@T_Ferguson I think "pretty severely" is an exaggeration, he's limping yes, but it doesn't seem to be that seriously, certainly not as bad as NK's from a few days ago and he is much better already.

@Mwk85 or it's just a coincidence after the PCM returned splitting NK and Tumbela. Darker-maned Talamati was also aggressive towards NK when they first met and when he joined with his brother they chased NK off.

These Talamatis are 4yo and some say the lighter-maned one isn't the healthiest of lions. It'd be a long time before they can challenge for a territory and since these 2 are brothers it might be more difficult for NK to bond.

With Tumbela, both are by themselves and have only themselves to bond with, both are in their prime and could oust any lone male as soon as they form a coalition and once they bond they'd also have shot at challenge duos. They can become dominant straight away and start raising cubs next year if they decide to leave the west and explore.

Being less dominant doesn't matter here, NK was also less dominant than Nhenha and Styx, plus he probably still has a slight limp and is bigger than Tumbela, being less dominant now doesn't mean he'll always be, not to mention he held his own and fed in the kill, Tumbela couldn't keep him away.

Ttimemarti Offline

(07-02-2023, 05:22 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @T_Ferguson I think "pretty severely" is an exaggeration, he's limping yes, but it doesn't seem to be that seriously, certainly not as bad as NK's from a few days ago and he is much better already.

@Mwk85 or it's just a coincidence after the PCM returned splitting NK and Tumbela. Darker-maned Talamati was also aggressive towards NK when they first met and when he joined with his brother they chased NK off.

These Talamatis are 4yo and some say the lighter-maned one isn't the healthiest of lions. It'd be a long time before they can challenge for a territory and since these 2 are brothers it might be more difficult for NK to bond.

With Tumbela, both are by themselves and have only themselves to bond with, both are in their prime and could oust any lone male as soon as they form a coalition and once they bond they'd also have shot at challenge duos. They can become dominant straight away and start raising cubs next year if they decide to leave the west and explore.

Being less dominant doesn't matter here, NK was also less dominant than Nhenha and Styx, plus he probably still has a slight limp and is bigger than Tumbela, being less dominant now doesn't mean he'll always be, not to mention he held his own and fed in the kill, Tumbela couldn't keep him away.
His best option is to stay with the talamati boys hopefully the lighter maned bad get better and they can form a coalition of 3 nkuhuma being with skorro in the west it just not a good idea if they moved out of the west then west but they are both stubborn and refused to leave skorro jrs entire pride was decimated nkuhuma males partner and potential cubs gone (we don’t know if the ximhungwe and gingerella had cubs if they did they are gone) plains camp will not tolerate a “make shift coalition”

BigLion39 Offline

(07-02-2023, 02:36 AM)Potato Wrote: Nkuchuma male eventually feed on the kill as we could see on the video so it is not really that Tumbela dominated the kill, he was forced to share after all.

Agreed! Doesn't look like Jr was do.onant over NK at all in this 1 situation as he didn't stop him from eating.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

That may just be due to Skorro having his fill rather than Nym winning.

Chris Offline

https://youtu.be/tIbv8ud3z3M  

Dreadlocks make lion has recovered from the attack of the Southern Avoca male lions. Will be interesting to see how he rejoins back with the Nkulus.
3 users Like Chris's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Monday, 26 June 2023
  • Nkhuma pride of Lions consisting of fifteen individuals trailing a herd of Cape Buffalo on Long Pole East.
Tuesday, 27 June 2023
  • Nkhuma Pride of Lions consisting of fifteen individuals’ static on Mvubu Road.
Wednesday, 28 June 2023
  • Nkhuma pride of Lions consisting of fifteen individuals and the two Black Dam males with a Cape Buffalo kill on Parallel Road junction Red Dam.
Thursday, 29 June 2023
  • Two Black Dam male Lions fighting with the four Nkhuma young male Lions close to Red Dam.
Friday, 30 June 2023
  • Two Black Dam male Lions and one Nkhuma female static at Knobthorn Pan.
  • Talamati pride of Lions consisting of one Lioness, five sub adults and the Imbali male static at Baobab Dam.
Sunday, 2 July 2023
  • Two Black Dam Male Lions resting on Arathusa Safari’s air strip.
https://www.elephantplains.co.za/big-5-b...july-2023/
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

BDM resting on Djuma

*This image is copyright of its original author
11 users Like Tonpa's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Black Dam boys nicely resting while Tlalamba leopardess is watching.

5 users Like afortich's post

WildLeonis Away

(07-03-2023, 06:48 PM)Tonpa Wrote: BDM resting on Djuma

*This image is copyright of its original author

Are these guys courting anyone else besides Chela from the Nkuhuma pride? I’ve only heard of them mating with her. I’m surprised they’ve not lured away more of the Nkuhuma ladies. Or taken over another pride. And maybe they have and I’m just not aware. 

Mohawk is still in excellent condition and thus still seems to have what it takes to be a formidable male to whom females would be attracted. So this could be why the Nkuhuma’s remain with him.
3 users Like WildLeonis's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-05-2023, 02:03 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: Are these guys courting anyone else besides Chela from the Nkuhuma pride? I’ve only heard of them mating with her. I’m surprised they’ve not lured away more of the Nkuhuma ladies. Or taken over another pride. And maybe they have and I’m just not aware. 

Mohawk is still in excellent condition and thus still seems to have what it takes to be a formidable male to whom females would be attracted. So this could be why the Nkuhuma’s remain with him.

They where seen occasionaly with some Talamati and Kambula females.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post