There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

NLAL11 Offline

(06-19-2023, 03:18 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 12:53 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: Apparently both males were there but one was nervous of the vehicles. I know the Fourways pride is elusive and difficult to keep track of, but anyone have any idea which males the lionesses might be daughters of? Obviously the Kruger males were dominant for a while but I'm not sure how old daughters of theirs would be be now.

Kruger males sired offspring in mid to late 2019, before that there was 2 females sired by Matshapiris and old female sired by Majingilanes.

Not sure which are still alive atm.

If thats indeed Fourways pride and not Torchwood breakaways, these young females we see should be Kruger males offspring.

Aha so they would just be old enough to be accepted by the males now, but they have cubs that are at least a few months old... so maybe it's not them, and is indeed a breakaway group or some part of the Torchwood pride.

It's a shame Mala Mala doesn't show the map location before each encounter anymore as that would give more of a clue as to which pride they were.

NLAL11 Offline

(06-19-2023, 07:12 AM)book1206 Wrote: New video show there are at least three nkhulus at Londolozi.
credit unknown

Blimey, and they look 'out for blood' as usual. And they're in Londolozi so they could clash with Kambula Boys, Nwaswitshaka/Ndzhenga Males, PC Males, Black Dam Males, Talamati Boys. Hope the fathers around here are on guard.

lionuk Offline
Contributor

"Over the weekend we were spoilt with various sightings of the Gijima males and Southern Pride. Occupying the southern parts of the reserve around our private airstrip, they moved during daytime where they were successful in bringing down a big warthog that served as a sufficient meal. After the males and females had their share, they moved to the side panting heavily. The cubs saw this as their opportunity to get their piece of the kill. They were very active trying to get meat off the carcass but with their teeth still developing they couldn’t get much. They soon moved closer to their mother to drink and fill their bellies with the right nutrition."

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like lionuk's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

With the Nkhulus in the heart of the reserve, literally everybody is at risk now, not only Gijimas and Avocas.

Even the Nkhulu's half-brothers in the western part of SS might find themselves in trouble.

I hope the dominant coalition can deal with them before it's too late.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-19-2023, 11:18 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-19-2023, 10:40 PM)Mapokser Wrote: With the Nkhulus in the heart of the reserve, literally everybody is at risk now, not only Gijimas and Avocas.

Even the Nkhulu's half-brothers in the western part of SS might find themselves in trouble.

Gijimas and S.Avocas showed that Nkhulus are not ready yet.

Nkhulus even bypass/avoid them and are exploring further north atm.

And if there is only 3 Nkhulus here, i dont think there is any reason for territorial coalitions to be concern of at this point.

Sabi Sands is currently "hot spot" for up and coming nomadic coalitions, Nkhulus, Kambulas, Talamatis, lone NK and Skorro male.

Tension is building, this is too much males/coalitions in small area, clashes and prob deaths will happen.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(06-19-2023, 11:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 10:40 PM)Mapokser Wrote: With the Nkhulus in the heart of the reserve, literally everybody is at risk now, not only Gijimas and Avocas.

And if there is only 3 Nkhulus here, i dont think there is any reason for territorial coalitions to be concern of at this point.

Sabi Sands is currently "hot spot" for up and coming nomadic coalitions, Nkhulus, Kambulas, Talamatis, lone NK and Skorro male.

Tension is building, this is too much males/coalitions in small area, clashes and prob deaths will happen.

are other 3 brother still alive ?

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

I think the only really worrying point at the moment would be with the prides, the vast majority have cubs and due to the amount of males circulating around they are very exposed, the fact that the dominant coalitions have few numbers being briefly a pair, makes them can't cover their territory and defend their pride so effectively, if they stay together I don't see these males being dethroned for now, but prides can suffer irreparable damage even with dominant males
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(06-19-2023, 11:21 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 11:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

are other 3 brother still alive ?

I believe that it has been said that they haven't even really been 6 brothers for some weeks.  I think it was said that 2 of them were sickly or showing signs of not getting food.  When Dreadlocks bought it, there were only 4 brothers with him at that fight.  So if only 3 are venturing north who knows now I guess.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-19-2023, 11:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I believe that it has been said that they haven't even really been 6 brothers for some weeks.  I think it was said that 2 of them were sickly or showing signs of not getting food.  When Dreadlocks bought it, there were only 4 brothers with him at that fight.  So if only 3 are venturing north who knows now I guess.

At this Londolozi video there are: 

- 1st male is one with slight limp (slightly unhealthy one, he looks better now tho)

- 2nd is the most famous Snip Tailed one

- 3rd is 1/2 blondish "twins"

So there is no : oldest/biggest Smudge Nosed one, 1/2 "twins" and youngest/unhealthy one.

They still might be scattered from S.Avocas encounter.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-20-2023, 12:29 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 11:58 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I believe that it has been said that they haven't even really been 6 brothers for some weeks.  I think it was said that 2 of them were sickly or showing signs of not getting food.  When Dreadlocks bought it, there were only 4 brothers with him at that fight.  So if only 3 are venturing north who knows now I guess.

- 1st male is one with slight limp (slightly unhealthy one, he looks better now tho)

So there is no : oldest/biggest Smudge Nosed one, 1/2 "twins" and youngest/unhealthy one.

I thought all 6 where seen a few days ago in the south

(06-20-2023, 12:29 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Thanks Trix.  I thought it was previously you that said 2 of them looked unhealthy as well, so nice to get an answer from  you.  I guess the question here is... does this end up a fight between them and the BDM's/N'Was/or PCM?  Or do they end up in a battle with one of the other 4+ lion nomad groups rolling around?

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Tr1x24 they should be concerned while they still have a chance of winning.

At any moment now the Nkhulus might "decide" they are ready.

(06-20-2023, 12:45 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 they should be concerned while they still have a chance of winning.

At any moment now the Nkhulus might "decide" they are ready.

Am I correct that the 4 Kambuhla Males are about the same age as this group?  Give or take half a year?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-20-2023, 12:51 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Am I correct that the 4 Kambuhla Males are about the same age as this group?  Give or take half a year?

Yes, same generation, majority of both groups are born around late 2018.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Definitelly. With their numbers Nkulus can roll over any current coalition of SS and probably soon will take out at least one currently dominant coalition. I do not think loosing De Laporte male will hold them back at all.