There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-30-2023, 05:54 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Potato  I thought BDM were 4, are they older?

5 and half years old.

United States SMK350 Offline

The youngest Black Dam in Sabi Sands was only born on Nov 2017, but yes 5 years old.
1 user Likes SMK350's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-30-2023, 07:12 PM)SMK350 Wrote: The youngest Black Dam in Sabi Sands was only born on Nov 2017, but yes 5 years old.

Yea, those 2 are ones of the youngest of 6.

lionuk Offline
Contributor

I think it would be good if the Black Dam males took over the Talamati core pride. There are 4 young females plus an older female for them.
5 users Like lionuk's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(01-30-2023, 08:30 PM)lionuk Wrote: I think it would be good if the Black Dam males took over the Talamati core pride. There are 4 young females plus an older female for them.
I was thinking if 4 kambula young boys could get that pride
Well I don't know if it's some coincidence or what but SABI SANDS NEVER GET ANY PRIDE MALES WHO WERE BORN IN SABI SANDS SINCE SELATIS ( late 2007- April 2017).
I mean it's already 15 yrs and selatis were the only pride males who were born in sabi sands. ( Only exception is majinglanis son nguvu but all his cubs are dead).
So from past 13 yrs sabi sands is continuously ruled by manyeleti/timbavati/ knp coalitions. 
I mean sabi sands native boys are not for " lost in some deep Kruger", " could not get tracked after lockdown " and " disappeared mysteriosly ".

Also bboys sons have numbers on their side.
They have gained enough experience in past 1.5 yrs and stand tall without any casualties since Nhenha-tinyo lost to ndhzengas.
Common boys...u are big enough....get the talamatis.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its actually better that males settle down far from their native prides and Sabi Sands mostly gets forreign coalition.  As that way you get a much better genetic diversity.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

(01-29-2023, 02:04 PM)Potato Wrote:
(01-28-2023, 06:12 AM)Mapokser Wrote: there's no way Mohawk is joining up with NK but BDM are not PCM
I do not see any reason why he shouldn't join up force with some other nomadic male like Nkuchuma or Tumbela. It would provide better odds for surviving for each.

(01-28-2023, 06:12 AM)Mapokser Wrote: They are nomads
They are not anymore. They are successfully claiming former Northern Avocas territory.

(01-28-2023, 06:12 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I doubt they'd have the guts to, right now, challenge 2 dominant males unless they were to be very old or in poor health
Not long ago at all they were scent marking in 2 Skorro males territory and puruing their pride - Myambula. BDM are is their prime and in great health so I do not see any reason why at that point they wouldn't be able to compete with other coalitions of 2 males in their prime.

@Potato the black dams males are very much nomadic. There is no such thing as being territorial without a pride. Right now they are nomadic lions in the territory of Mohawk, who is still dominant over the Nkuhuma pride.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 01:14 AM by Tr1x24 )

(01-31-2023, 12:33 AM)SMK350 Wrote: @Potato the black dams males are very much nomadic. There is no such thing as being territorial without a pride. Right now they are nomadic lions in the territory of Mohawk, who is still dominant over the Nkuhuma pride.

Well, thats arguable, there is males/coalitions who definitely behave territorial even if they yet dont control any pride, Mongawane males around Shindzela for example. 

Its a takeover phase, Mohawk is avoiding and running from BDM's, who are not affraid of him as they clearly feel comfortable in his territory and even confronting him, so its not like Mohawk has all under control out there. 

But yea, he still isnt fully ousted and BDM's still didn't fully claim his territory, so for now its still too early to claim differently, but its going in that direction.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Lions take territory because there is something in their of interest in there. 

It could be hunting grounds. A staging ground for further take overs or roaming lionesses that lost faith in their resident coalition. Or sometimes the removal of the resident rival is such a trivial matter they just take the land without much fuss and deal with that formality later.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-30-2023, 09:13 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: Well I don't know if it's some coincidence or what but SABI SANDS NEVER GET ANY PRIDE MALES WHO WERE BORN IN SABI SANDS SINCE SELATIS ( late 2007- April 2017).
That is good actually for the sake of genetic divesity. Still aside Selatis there were also Fourways, Charlestons and most recently single Othawa male.

(01-31-2023, 12:33 AM)SMK350 Wrote: There is no such thing as being territorial without a pride
Territorial comes from controling territory. Controling a pride is a different story. Black Dam control now large part of northern Sabi Sands and former owner of this land - Avoca male is on the run/hide.

(01-30-2023, 09:13 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: Also bboys sons have numbers on their side.
They have gained enough experience in past 1.5 yrs and stand tall without any casualties since Nhenha-tinyo lost to ndhzengas.
Common boys...u are big enough....get the talamatis.
Not long ago they were chased out of their kill by DM Avoca in poor condition and one of the Talamati males. If they can not stand up to this two, I do not see how they could beat 2 healty males in their prime like BMs.
1 user Likes Potato's post

@Duco Ndona Can you cite a source for that definition of territorial male? Ever article I looked up has “dominating a pride” as a criteria of being a territorial male. There’s a difference between showing territorial behaviors and being a territorial male.

Subadults can roar and scent mark too. Lions in zoos and sanctuaries roar ever night. The BDMs have entered the north as “challengers” but unless they actually secure a pride they are still, according to the scientific definition of lions, nomads. Same with the Torchwood and BirminghamMale. I heard recently killed subadults (born 2021) from the Birmingham pride. I think they’re showing great interest in Ngala and the prides there but so far they haven’t sealed the deal and taken over anything. 

Mohawk is avoiding confrontation with BDMs but I think it speaks volumes to his character that he’s still here. Every time he roars he’s putting himself in mortal danger. Did we just not see what happened to Nhenha? Let’s give the boy some credit. Many lions after loosing their brothers and having to deal with two huge males in their territory would have fled long ago. And I know that day may come soon, but it isn’t today.
3 users Like SMK350's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-31-2023, 02:37 AM)Potato Wrote: Not long ago they were chased out of their kill by DM Avoca in poor condition and one of the Talamati males. If they can not stand up to this two, I do not see how they could beat 2 healty males in their prime like BMs.

Source of that?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-31-2023, 02:37 AM)Potato Wrote: Black Dam control now large part of northern Sabi Sands and former owner of this land - Avoca male is on the run/hide.

Still too early for that claim.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-31-2023, 11:52 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 02:37 AM)Potato Wrote: Not long ago they were chased out of their kill by DM Avoca in poor condition and one of the Talamati males. If they can not stand up to this two, I do not see how they could beat 2 healty males in their prime like BMs.

Source of that?

I have no time to search for this, through it happened in Londolozi so probably it was on one of their virtual safari.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-31-2023, 01:31 PM)Potato Wrote: I have no time to search for this, through it happened in Londolozi so probably it was on one of their virtual safari.

Dont remember hearing that.