There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-25-2022, 08:45 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-25-2022, 08:16 PM)abbeyster Wrote: One thing I am curious about with the bond that is forming between the Tsalala and Mhangeni lioness. Would it be possible if they meet up with the rest of Mhangeni pride, they might accept the Tsalala lioness because of the Mhangeni lioness? Wonder if she would defend Tsalala and because Mhangeni lioness is one of the senior lionesses would that help? One can hope. That would be retribution for the original 4 Mhangeni lionesses killing their Grandmother! Sadly only two left of the original 4.

At this point im not sure if they would accept old Mhangeni back, let alone Tsalala.

Prob wont happen anyways, Old Mhangeni most definitely encountered in some way Mhangenis already since she ventured off or atleast "found" them thru scent, i mean they are basically in the same area, but it looks like old Mhangeni didnt want to rejoin them.

Looks like her urge for mating and rising new offspring is stronger then protect the remaining sub.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

abbeyster Offline

(09-25-2022, 08:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-25-2022, 08:16 PM)abbeyster Wrote: One thing I am curious about with the bond that is forming between the Tsalala and Mhangeni lioness. Would it be possible if they meet up with the rest of Mhangeni pride, they might accept the Tsalala lioness because of the Mhangeni lioness? Wonder if she would defend Tsalala and because Mhangeni lioness is one of the senior lionesses would that help? One can hope. That would be retribution for the original 4 Mhangeni lionesses killing their Grandmother! Sadly only two left of the original 4.

At this point im not sure if they would accept old Mhangeni back, let alone Tsalala.

Prob wont happen anyways, Old Mhangeni most definitely encountered in some way Mhangenis already since she ventured off or atleast "found" them thru scent, i mean they are basically in the same area, but it looks like old Mhangeni didnt want to rejoin them.

Looks like her urge for mating and rising new offspring is stronger then protect the remaining sub.
Thanks for the opinion.  Makes sense. Yeah sad on one front and happy on another front .
1 user Likes abbeyster's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(09-25-2022, 02:17 PM)DE_66 Wrote: One of the Ndzhengas mating with one of the Ntsevu Birmingham daughters towards the beginning.

Nhena and NYM reunited towards the middle of the video.  They are moving back towards western Sabi Sands.  I hope they don't go after the Othawa Pride again.  

The Tsalala Pride shows up at the end.  Their bond seems very strong.  I'm wondering where the older lioness will decide to den cubs if she gets pregnant.  

Virtual Safari: Ultimate Game Drive Highlights #133- Londolozi TV - YouTube

I know it's extremely unlikely but I wonder if there's any chance the now nomadic Birminghams accept the also nomadic Tumbela in their coalition.

Lions are not smart enough to realize it but It'd be in the best interest of literally every single lion currently living the Western Sector. Gingerella and Ximhungwe have no cubs but are acquaintanced with all 3 males involved, they would be able to father new cubs and easily defend them against the PCM. And once Nhenha passes out of old age, NK and Skorro would still be in their primes.

Only question would be how this new coalition would react to Skorro's daughters.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Seeing the two see each other as enemies. It would be quite unlikely.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 04:42 AM by afortich )

I guess is very difficult but not impossible that enemies ended up forming coalitions.
We have the coalition of Cecil and Jericho from Zimbabwe, which were enemies. 
They formed a coalition after a battle between Cecil and his brother (Leander) against the coalition of Jericho with 2 brothers (Judah and Job) and his father (Mpofu). In this battle, Cecil's brother and Jericho's father were killed.

4 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 02:24 AM by Tr1x24 )

(09-25-2022, 11:34 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I know it's extremely unlikely but I wonder if there's any chance the now nomadic Birminghams accept the also nomadic Tumbela in their coalition.

Lions are not smart enough to realize it but It'd be in the best interest of literally every single lion currently living the Western Sector. Gingerella and Ximhungwe have no cubs but are acquaintanced with all 3 males involved, they would be able to father new cubs and easily defend them against the PCM. And once Nhenha passes out of old age, NK and Skorro would still be in their primes.

Only question would be how this new coalition would react to Skorro's daughters.

Well, that's a bit trickier. 

As all of them being nomads, there is a chance, although not great one. 

Nhenha and Nkuhuma are already established coalition and not one in the making, so accepting new member is quite unlikely, they are adult males, and not some youngsters, which form coalitions far more easily.

But, we saw with DeLaporte coalition, that these things can happen, Talamati and Dreadlocks where together, then they accepted HRM and then 3T Tsalala. Same thing with S28 males accepting HP male and those 3 accepting Old Lubyelubye, so it can happen. 

In this case, problem might be, that these 2 parties where rivals/enemies, its highly unlikely Skorro Jr. would want to do anything with them, as he sees them as enemies and threat.
9 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(09-25-2022, 11:34 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I know it's extremely unlikely but I wonder if there's any chance the now nomadic Birminghams accept the also nomadic Tumbela in their coalition.
It is not even unusual that nomadic unrelated males build up coalition bigger than 2 members, just to mention De Laporte males for example. If the Birmingham and Nkuchuma male bump into Tumbela male I wouldn't find that suprising if they would join forces.

(09-26-2022, 01:00 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Seeing the two see each other as enemies. It would be quite unlikely.

That is not even a factor, just to mention Freddy and Solo for example. As they are nomads now, neither would have much of and intrest in fighting the other one. They can make a coalition same way any other unrelated males can.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 06:32 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-26-2022, 04:58 PM)Potato Wrote: It is not even unusual that nomadic unrelated males build up coalition bigger than 2 members, just to mention De Laporte males for example. If the Birmingham and Nkuchuma male bump into Tumbela male I wouldn't find that suprising if they would join forces.

Already established coalition accepting new members is rare, it happened with DeLaportes few years back, and now with S28 males accepting HP and Old Lubyelubye, but that latter case is the only current/active example in Kruger of which we know, so it is rare..(we are talking about adult nomads, not young males/subs, who make coalitions far more easier). 

(09-26-2022, 04:58 PM)Potato Wrote: That is not even a factor, just to mention Freddy and Solo for example. As they are nomads now, neither would have much of and intrest in fighting the other one. They can make a coalition same way any other unrelated males can.

It is non factor for solo males, but this was 1 vs 2, and they ousted Skorro Jr. not long ago, i assume Skorro Jr. wouldn't be too happy if he see's them now, because he knows they tried to kill him until now, he would prob run away from them. 

In fact, i dont know/remember of any example, where solo male gets accepted into coalition which ousted him (regardless if they where both nomads later), correct me if im wrong..

So coalition between these 2 parties, especially atm, is quite unlikely, but yea, who knows.

1ofCourage Offline

(09-26-2022, 02:09 AM)afortich Wrote: I guess is very difficult but not impossible that enemies ended up forming coalitions.
We have the coalition of Cecil and Jericho from Zimbabwe, which were enemies. 
They formed a coalition after a battle between Cecil and his brother (Leander) against the coalition of Jericho with 2 brothers (Judah and Job) and his father (Mpofu). In this battle, Cecil's brother and Jericho's father were killed.

A very sad story about lions. Walter Palmer is full of greed and has no compassion or reason.
3 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

4 users Like afortich's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Wonky eye

9 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 06:55 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-28-2022, 06:46 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Wonky eye

His right eye is not as blue/shady as it once was, now it looks pretty much normal, interesting.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

So it would be fair to stop calling him "Wonky eye". I never liked to call him that.
4 users Like lionuk's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

So both PC males are in the North now. Near Talamati pride territory. Simbambili. 

Nhenha and Nkuhuma are back in the West with a bang. 

They had a run in with Othawa pride & Sassy is seen alone now. She looks rather beat up and tired, poor girl. 

I swear, Nhenha has been very destructive towards anything named Othawa. He & Nk killed at least one of two Old females, killed a few cubs (as did the pc males) & also killed the Othawa male alongside Tinyo and Kambulas.
3 users Like Mabingilane's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(09-28-2022, 06:57 PM)lionuk Wrote: So it would be fair to stop calling him "Wonky eye". I never liked to call him that.

Maybe ‘Manyeleti YM”?
5 users Like criollo2mil's post