There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(07-11-2022, 03:41 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Gijima males, apperantly roaring in S. Avocas territory :

Any idea how old are these boys? 4.5 to 5 years? They recovered very quickly from that chase and the loss of their brother.
2 users Like Horizon's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-11-2022, 04:58 PM)Horizon Wrote: Any idea how old are these boys? 4.5 to 5 years? They recovered very quickly from that chase and the loss of their brother.

Bigger male with dark mane looks to be older then other 2, now 1, i think he should be around 5 yrs old, younger is prob few months to half a year younger.
Mid 2017 to early 2018 should be period when they where born, although you never know just based of looks.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Southern Pride :

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(07-11-2022, 08:06 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Southern Pride :

If I could ask the Admins, why there wasn’t a thread opened for Southern, River and Styx prides?  Or is there one and I missed it?
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 12:15 AM by Tr1x24 )

(07-11-2022, 11:33 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: If I could ask the Admins, why there wasn’t a thread opened for Southern, River and Styx prides?  Or is there one and I missed it?

Then we dont need this thread if we will have thread for every pride and coalition in Sabi Sands.

Admins said they can make 5 new threads for prides, and we voted which prides we want, in which biggest and most popular prides got their own threads. 

There is no need to make whole threads for such a small prides, or prides who are rarely seen such as Sand Rivers or Torchwoods. 

Styx pride in future will prob get their own thread tho.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I don't think the 5 threads are a hard limit. Its more due to this being a experiment. (Which is going quite well I think).

The styx pride may get their own thread eventually. But prides such as the Ximhungwe, Tsalala and Southern pride in their current shape are just to small and probably fit better along with the other nomads in this thread.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Contributor

(07-12-2022, 12:09 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 11:33 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: If I could ask the Admins, why there wasn’t a thread opened for Southern, River and Styx prides?  Or is there one and I missed it?

Then we dont need this thread if we will have thread for every pride and coalition in Sabi Sands.

Admins said they can make 5 new threads for prides, and we voted which prides we want, in which biggest and most popular prides got their own threads. 

There is no need to make whole threads for such a small prides, or prides who are rarely seen such as Sand Rivers or Torchwoods. 

Styx pride in future will prob get their own thread tho.

Anhhh.  I see.   I didn’t know about all that backstory.    Makes sense.   I do agree Styx is a good candidate for their own thread.   They’re pretty visible.   And large ATM.  Also, historic.
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-11-2022, 11:33 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

If I could ask the Admins, why there wasn’t a thread opened for Southern, River and Styx prides?  Or is there one and I missed it?

We are basing our decisions on activity levels. If a lot of updates (as we have been getting recently on the Styx Pride) begin being posted, then we will certainly get a thread up for them.

Same goes for males/coalitions, and the former Sons threads, which are now Male Lineage threads since we're at grandsons and beyond for some of them.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

(07-12-2022, 01:11 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 11:33 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

We are basing our decisions on activity levels. If a lot of updates (as we have been getting recently on the Styx Pride) begin being posted, then we will certainly get a thread up for them.

Same goes for males/coalitions, and the former Sons threads, which are now Male Lineage threads since we're at grandsons and beyond for some of them.

Thanks for the feedback.  That makes a lot of sense.   I like the recent decision to rename the threads as male lineage.   That’s much more appropriate and comprehensive.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Sightings from western sector :

11 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-12-2022, 03:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Sightings from western sector :

It looks there that Nhenha was actually the one to take female after fight with Nkuchuma male.
4 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Throwback, Sand River pride at Kirkmans Kamp, not sure about exact date, but Mantimahle offspring subadults (5 young males and 3 females) where still with the pride, so prob around mid 2019, before they got chased out by S Avocas :

Old Sand River female was also still alive, she was estimated to be 15+ yrs old at this time (right female), but died shortly after:

*This image is copyright of its original author

After they got ousted by S. Avocas, only 2 sub males and 2 females managed to survive (for what we know) , 2 females eventually managed to return to the pride, and 2 males went nomadic, hanging around southern Sabi Sands and Skukuza, last seen around early 2021, apperantly 1 was seen with back injuries in Kruger in late 2021, they are known as 2 Sand River young males. 

2 out of 3 missing males :

2 "surviving/known" Sand River young males :

12 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(07-12-2022, 10:01 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Throwback, Sand River pride at Kirkmans Kamp, not sure about exact date, but Mantimahle offspring subadults (5 young males and 3 females) where still with the pride, so prob around mid 2019, before they got chased out by S Avocas :

Old Sand River female was also still alive, she was estimated to be 15+ yrs old at this time (right female), but died shortly after:

After they got ousted by S. Avocas, only 2 sub males and 2 females managed to survive (for what we know) , 2 females eventually managed to return to the pride, and 2 males went nomadic, hanging around southern Sabi Sands and Skukuza, last seen around early 2021, apperantly 1 was seen with back injuries in Kruger in late 2021, they are known as 2 Sand River young males. 

2 out of 3 missing males :

2 "surviving/known" Sand River young males :

that sad they didnt survive
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Plains Camp males :

Photo credits : julielosborn

Boys are turning 5 yrs old this month, they are absolute brutes, dark/bigger maned male will be most impressive male in Sabi Sands, if he isnt already.
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(07-14-2022, 01:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Boys are turning 5 yrs old this month, they are absolute brutes, dark/bigger maned male will be most impressive male in Sabi Sands, if he isnt already.
I fell in love with these guys. 

Especially the first pic. 

Just 5 yrs old and such a handsome mane. 

Boooyaaah...
3 users Like DARK MANE's post