There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-09-2022, 09:57 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Ok forget that, it's wasn't Blondie and Mohawk, it was Dark Mane

*This image is copyright of its original author

So the DM on his own chassed Imbali male?

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-09-2022, 11:30 AM)Potato Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 09:57 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Ok forget that, it's wasn't Blondie and Mohawk, it was Dark Mane

So the DM on his own chassed Imbali male?

I thought so initially but not sure,

So we had the S8 Male heading east, the guide said he was highly mobile and they thought the Avocas had come north to chase him out as they heard a male lion roaring in the south, the S8 Male was roaring too but eventually turned north and went back into buffelshoek. He was sniffing the ground and following the clipped ear Talamati lioness who also went into Buffelshoek.

The second guide followed the sound of the other lion roaring and found Dark Mane at Tree House Dam, with tracks of a lioness but she wasn't around. He eventually moved from Tree house dam to twin dam where he rested.

Something like this

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-09-2022, 11:46 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I thought so initially but not sure,

So we had the S8 Male heading east, the guide said he was highly mobile and they thought the Avocas had come north to chase him out as they heard a male lion roaring in the south, the S8 Male was roaring too but eventually turned north and went back into buffelshoek. He was sniffing the ground and following the clipped ear Talamati lioness who also went into Buffelshoek.

The second guide followed the sound of the other lion roaring and found Dark Mane at Tree House Dam, with tracks of a lioness but she wasn't around. He eventually moved from Tree house dam to twin dam where he rested.

I guess guides and us dont exactly know which roars did Imbali male heard, Mohawk and Blondie with Nkuhumas where on WE in Djuma just day before Imbali male was seen there, so they should be still around or near by. 

They found DM, but did DM roar? Thats the real question.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Blondie and Mohawk are apparently on MalaMala

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita Sabi Sands update
  • Our lion sightings have been dominated by the Nkuhuma lionesses, their two cubs and the Plains Camp lions. The roars can be heard almost daily. It has been rewarding spending time after the sunsets with the males in particular, as they start to wake up. Often they will call just before moving off into the night.
  • The Nkuhuma lionesses are looking in fantastic condition due to their success in hunting on a regular basis. They managed to bring down a zebra in the gabro grasslands in the central area of the reserve. They fed on it for over three days.
  • With buffalo herds frequenting the southern grasslands lions have been in close proximity, mainly lions from the Nsevu Pride, which has seen a number of young males becoming nomadic and chancing their luck with these big bovines.
5 users Like Potato's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(07-09-2022, 01:01 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 11:46 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I thought so initially but not sure,

I guess guides and us dont exactly know which roars did Imbali male heard, Mohawk and Blondie with Nkuhumas where on WE in Djuma just day before Imbali male was seen there, so they should be still around or near by. 

They found DM, but did DM roar? Thats the real question.

DM didn't roar on camera but he definitely wasn't bothered by the presence of S8 so close either. The guides said they were roaring all morning so I'm sure DM was roaring too, you could tell S8 knew DM was really close because of the way S8 was behaving. Great seeing DM standing up to S8, the S8 male seems massive and in perfect condition btw, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the biggest male in Sabi Sands right now.
5 users Like sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-09-2022, 01:49 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-09-2022, 01:24 PM)sik94 Wrote: DM didn't roar on camera but he definitely wasn't bothered by the presence of S8 so close either. The guides said they were roaring all morning so I'm sure DM was roaring too, you could tell S8 knew DM was really close because of the way S8 was behaving. Great seeing DM standing up to S8, the S8 male seems massive and in perfect condition btw, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the biggest male in Sabi Sands right now.

DM was following Talamatis tracks, also he was trying to softly contact call. 

Mohawk and Blondie are apperantly at MalaMala. 

I assume this was a roaring battle between Talamati/DM group and S8 male, in the end both parties move in different direction.

Yea, Imbali male looks in great condition, beast of a male, both in appearence and by character.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Apparently the S1 males have given new names as Gijima males, which means "running"

13 users Like lionuk's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

Meanwhile S8 male in chitwa chitwa. 
Seems like this time he has come for both for area and remaining girls. 

7 users Like DARK MANE's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 07-09-2022, 10:00 PM by BA0701 )

Video of the Dark Mane/Imbali dispute. Dark Mane seems really calm, while S8 Male is being really bold. If the N Avocas come down, S8 might have a real problem, but they have previously shown no inclination for getting involved. DM seems to be more resolute than previous interactions with S8 male, perhaps the recent improvements in DM's condition may be playing a role, he looks fantastic.

11 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-09-2022, 11:44 PM by afortich )

(07-09-2022, 09:36 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Video of the Dark Mane/Imbali dispute. Dark Mane seems really calm, while S8 Male is being really bold. If the N Avocas come down, S8 might have a real problem, but they have previously shown no inclination for getting involved. DM seems to be more resolute than previous interactions with S8 male, perhaps the recent improvements in DM's condition may be playing a role, he looks fantastic.

Great news if it was DM the one stopping S8.
In my last analysis of DM's behavior in the videos while away from Talamatis, I said that DM's rough time appears to make him stronger and wanted to see other single lion challenging him.
So happy that for now my boy DM stands his ground!!!
4 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 04:13 AM by Tr1x24 )

(07-09-2022, 11:41 PM)afortich Wrote: Great news if it was DM the one stopping S8.
In my last analysis of DM's behavior in the videos while away from Talamatis, I said that DM's rough time appears to make him stronger and wanted to see other single lion challenging him.

Its too early to say that. 

We didnt see any evidence that DM was roaring to S8 male on camera, so until we see that, we cant say that DM is "trying" to be dominant male again.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Stunning photo of S8/Imbali male this morning on a mission, such a piercing eyes :

Photo credits : johan wildlife

14 users Like Tr1x24's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(07-10-2022, 04:11 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Stunning photo of S8/Imbali male this morning on a mission, such a piercing eyes :

Photo credits : johan wildlife

Nothing meek about that boy, he was even roaring in DMs direction this morning with serious authority.
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 09:51 AM by afortich )

(07-10-2022, 04:04 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 11:41 PM)afortich Wrote: Great news if it was DM the one stopping S8.

Its too early to say that. 

We didnt see any evidence that DM was roaring to S8 male on camera, so until we see that, we cant say that DM is "trying" to be dominant male again.

You're right and I agree 100% with you. 
Therefore, let me rephrase because I know I used the word "challenging", which in the lion world seems to be directed to a territorial fight.
What I meant to say is that I believe DM is not going to let other single lions to chase him off, as S8 used to do it before DM lost the track of the Talamatis and went nomadic.
I infer/deduce from the videos that now DM is ready to fight any single lion if provoke but won't look for a fight for no reason. 
And I base my inference/deduction from the video of PaintedWolf, where they said that Avocas were chasing S8, and the only Avoca in the area was DM.
3 users Like afortich's post