There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

(06-07-2022, 08:12 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I said they prob WILL be territorial, by the looks of it, not that they already are.

They picked their scent because Ndhzengas still mark around northern Sabi Sabi, Selati Camp, there they where last seen with Kambulas, around 2-3 weeks ago and thats still part of their territory which they visit.

Im not predicting future, im just saying what is going on and what this means based of past examples and behaviors.

But, whatever.

You are spot on.
Previous examples of large coalitions along with current behaviour patterns shows us that this is the most likely scenario to occur.

As for the new males, they are definitely showing signs of being territorial. They have found a patch of land vacated by Ndhzengas and are making full use of it.
4 users Like Mabingilane's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

One of these great coalitions from Sabi Sand from the past: the 3 Sand River male Lions

9 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

DE_66 Offline

(06-07-2022, 11:59 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 10:55 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Not good news for the styx cubs then?

Hard to say, many possible scenarios. 

But as for now, they didnt had any problems with new males, those males are still not territorial, so they had a window still, and if they hang around northern Sabi Sabi and Selati Camp, 
they should be safe for now, this is still fairly close to Ndhzengas, who still visit and mark that area, which should be enough to keep 2 males away from that area for now, especially as they now know they are quite outnumbered and lost 1 brother to these males, they immiditately returned back south when they caught Ndhzengas scent in northern Sabi Sabi.

Ndhzengas will definitely still chase these males if they come too close to their borders or step into their territory again.

How far out of Mala Mala did the Ndhzengas chase those guys?  How far before they would have reached another coalition's territory?  Was the beginning of that fight that close to the border?  I'm just trying to get more details.  It seems odd they'd chase him that far.  It's frustrating that we saw the start and couldn't see the "end."  I wish the rangers were allowed to cross borders in such circumstances.
2 users Like DE_66's post

WildRev Offline

Styx pride
8 users Like WildRev's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2022, 05:05 PM by Tonpa )

Random information from Elephant Plains sightings of the week

Sunday, 12 June 2022
Three subadult male lions resting close to Poachers Corner. (Talamati subs and Limping Tumbela)
The Talamati pride of lions and 1 Avoca male lion resting on Guarrie Central.

Distance is 2-3km

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2022, 05:22 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-14-2022, 12:09 PM)DE_66 Wrote: How far out of Mala Mala did the Ndhzengas chase those guys?  How far before they would have reached another coalition's territory?  Was the beginning of that fight that close to the border?  I'm just trying to get more details.  It seems odd they'd chase him that far.  It's frustrating that we saw the start and couldn't see the "end."  I wish the rangers were allowed to cross borders in such circumstances.

They chased them south of Sabi Sabi, they didnt pursuit them further in Lion Sands, as that area is vacant by Ndhzengas.

After that 2 males hang around Lion Sands, and recently in Sabi Sabi, as presence of Ndhzengas there is low recently, except northern areas of Sabi Sabi around Selati Camp, which Ndhzengas still visit, where week or so ago 2 S1 males where spotted, but caught scent of Ndhzengas and immiditately return back south.

Someone posted that Ndhzengas where seen with Styx recently, where was that, i cant see gruop links?

Styx's where recently seen around Selati Camp, which Ndhzengas still patrol.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Does anyone recognize this lion?   He’s reportedly 1/2 unknown male lions seen in Singita/WS this afternoon

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-14-2022, 06:40 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Does anyone recognize this lion?   He’s reportedly 1/2 unknown male lions seen in Singita/WS this afternoon

Any better photos?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(06-14-2022, 07:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 06:40 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Does anyone recognize this lion?   He’s reportedly 1/2 unknown male lions seen in Singita/WS this afternoon

Any better photos?

Not yet.   I know a few trying to get more pictures and more clarity.  This was all i was sent
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

United States felinefan Offline

That could be Junior Othawa!!
1 user Likes felinefan's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Honestly, with the quality of that photo it could be half of the male lions in the reserve.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-15-2022, 09:36 AM by lionuk )

Could be the 3rd S1 male?
2 BDM?
It's believed they are from Northern Kruger
3 users Like lionuk's post

DE_66 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-15-2022, 10:24 AM by DE_66 Edit Reason: adding a video )

(06-14-2022, 05:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 12:09 PM)DE_66 Wrote: How far out of Mala Mala did the Ndhzengas chase those guys?  How far before they would have reached another coalition's territory?  Was the beginning of that fight that close to the border?  I'm just trying to get more details.  It seems odd they'd chase him that far.  It's frustrating that we saw the start and couldn't see the "end."  I wish the rangers were allowed to cross borders in such circumstances.

They chased them south of Sabi Sabi, they didnt pursuit them further in Lion Sands, as that area is vacant by Ndhzengas.

After that 2 males hang around Lion Sands, and recently in Sabi Sabi, as presence of Ndhzengas there is low recently, except northern areas of Sabi Sabi around Selati Camp, which Ndhzengas still visit, where week or so ago 2 S1 males where spotted, but caught scent of Ndhzengas and immiditately return back south.

Someone posted that Ndhzengas where seen with Styx recently, where was that, i cant see gruop links?

Styx's where recently seen around Selati Camp, which Ndhzengas still patrol.

So, they killed the third male in Sabi Sabi?  Or we don't know that he's dead for sure?  Or am I mixing up confrontations?

I thought you guys were talking about this:
BREAKING: Unknown LION Coalition Draws First Blood - YouTube

1 user Likes DE_66's post

BigLion39 Offline

(06-15-2022, 10:18 AM)DE_66 Wrote: So, they killed the third male in Sabi Sabi?  Or we don't know that he's dead for sure?  Or am I mixing up confrontations?

Nobody know for certain what the outcome was with the 3rd S1 male. He hasn't been spotted since. No body, nothing.
5 users Like BigLion39's post