There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(04-05-2022, 12:15 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Truth be told, Ive seen similar stuff like that happen at zoos.
Its probably more a body language and opportunism thing than some weird hiding trick.

It often happens in zoos/lion parks where the big cats have been raised by humans and because they are so familiar with us on a physical level (touching, grooming, etc.) they can recognize human forms whether they are inside a vehicle or not. That level of unfamiliarity + nervous/foolish tourists that would mistakenly convey the body language of a prey/rival + the X-factor that is hard-wired instinct are all recipes for disaster/tragedy.

Lions in the wild aren't as accustomed to humans, which is often why they normally keep a reasonable distance from humans during a guided walk. When you consider such unfamiliarity to humans (compared to captive-bred lions, anyway), plus said humans being inside the vehicles that the lions are indifferent to, it makes sense that attacks in such a scenario would be extremely rare. It's not a weird hiding trick. The predators simply don't perceive vehicles and their occupants as a threat or food source, especially in private concessions where extra care is taken when approaching wild animals.
3 users Like Rabubi's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"An abandoned lion cub braved an open clearing to quench its thirst.
Can only hope the pride manages to find the youngster soon.!"

5 users Like Tonpa's post

1999gc8 Offline

(04-05-2022, 08:07 AM)Tonpa Wrote: "An abandoned lion cub braved an open clearing to quench its thirst.

I cant see the link but I did read a post about one of the styx cubs got separated from the pride but eventually the cub caught up to them.
3 users Like 1999gc8's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-05-2022, 08:36 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: I cant see the link but I did read a post about one of the styx cubs got separated from the pride but eventually the cub caught up to them

This one looks to be 1 of the Kambula cubs.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

New Nkuhuma breakaway cubs I presume 

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(04-05-2022, 08:36 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 08:07 AM)Tonpa Wrote: "An abandoned lion cub braved an open clearing to quench its thirst.

I cant see the link but I did read a post about one of the styx cubs got separated from the pride but eventually the cub caught up to them.

oh thats weird, the post is blank for you?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Inyati's early 2022 report 

"The Othawa pride has managed to keep all their cubs safe. The 6 cubs, of which 5 are females, are growing at a rapid rate as the mothers keep the kills coming at a consistent rate. The lioness’ have moved away for the river and have spent the majority of January and February south of the sand river, possibly feeling some pressure from the territorial spacing calls that the Plains Camp males have been bellowing out form the east.

The Plains Camp males, rather surprisingly, seem reluctant to venture further west. The sight of the large Tumbela male and his impressive mane may well have intimidated them just enough, for now.

The Ximhungwe lioness has caught the eye of the large Tumbela male. She has been venturing in to the Othawa prides territory and been vocalizing often. It seems the male has also taken a liking to her and will heed her call if the other females have not provided him with food, or entertainment.

On one of his visits to his new lioness the pair came across a large African Rock Python that was constricting a young Impala. The Ximhungwe female true to her fearless nature pounced on the coiled snake and quickly sent the serpent slithering into cover. The Tumbela male then simply muscled the lioness off her hard-earned impala and finished off the scavenged meal.
The python and the lioness were forced to watch him feed from the bleachers. Male lions are many things but chivalry is most certainly not one of them. The whole scene played out at night, and we were very careful with the use of the spotlight, this made photography impossible so the only snap we have of the encounter is the bloodied Tumbela savoring fresh impala veal.

It seems that the Othawa pride, the Tumbela males and our solo lioness (Othawa and Ximhungwe) have another set of unwelcome neighbors to live with.

The Talamati pride arrived in February. This pride is a break away from a large pride to the north of the Sabi Sand Wildtuin. It seems they made their way south into the Sabi Sand Wildtuin from Manyeleti and have slowly migrated west. It’s made up of six beautiful lioness’ and two large sub adult males. These new males are big boys even though their manes might induce a chuckle from the Tumbela male. For now, they are afraid of the Tumbela and have not made too many inroads into the west but in time they may pose a proper problem to both the Othawas and the Tumbela. Again, only time will tell.

https://inyatigamelodge.com/2022/04/05/j...the-lodge/
7 users Like Tonpa's post

1999gc8 Offline

(04-05-2022, 02:18 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 08:36 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:

oh thats weird, the post is blank for you?

The link was ok but I was on my work laptop and link was blocked. I can see it ok on my own pc.
2 users Like 1999gc8's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Othawa pride

6 users Like Potato's post

Gavskrr Offline

A herd of buffalo were found close to #EarthLodge & were being followed by the 2 young new male lions.  They were so determined & went straight for the herd of approx 300 buffalo, but they were not successful.  We will follow up again this evening to see if their luck changed.
Is this young man in the first image the one who was isolated? anyway it looks like they haven't regrouped yet as only two have been seen
Credits: Sabi Sabi Reserve

*This image is copyright of its original author

10 users Like Gavskrr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-05-2022, 10:09 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: A herd of buffalo were found close to #EarthLodge & were being followed by the 2 young new male lions.  They were so determined & went straight for the herd of approx 300 buffalo, but they were not successful.  We will follow up again this evening to see if their luck changed.
Is this young man in the first image the one who was isolated? anyway it looks like they haven't regrouped yet as only two have been seen
Credits: Sabi Sabi Reserve

No, those are 2 males that got chased. 

3rd male, who has smallest mane and was with injured Wide Nose in a clash still didnt find them looks like.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 01:11 AM by Tonpa )

Plains Camp male, somewhere on the northern traverse today 

by Tendai Moyo

10 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 01:40 AM by Mabingilane )

Do any of you fellow lion enthusiasts remember when the styx pride cubs from 2016 died? Leaving one styx male. The remaining cubs were born in early 2017... that is when the current Styx young female was born, correct? 

Can someone help me to clarify this please?
1 user Likes Mabingilane's post

Sweden Edvin Offline

(04-06-2022, 01:39 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: Do any of you fellow lion enthusiasts remember when the styx pride cubs from 2016 died? Leaving one styx male. The remaining cubs were born in early 2017... that is when the current Styx young female was born, correct? 

someone told me she was born in October 2016
1 user Likes Edvin's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-06-2022, 01:39 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: Do any of you fellow lion enthusiasts remember when the styx pride cubs from 2016 died? Leaving one styx male. The remaining cubs were born in early 2017... that is when the current Styx young female was born, correct? 

Current Styx Lionesses were born as follows:
  • Styx Pride three adult females
    • The oldest born in 2008 (Rollercoaster Daughter)
    • the Second-Oldest in 2011 (Majingiliane Daughter)
    • the youngest in late 2016. (Birmingham Daughter)
2 users Like criollo2mil's post