There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Very interesting times ahead. I wont be suprised to see 7 male lions involve in a massive fight

I dont think these 3 intruders have a chance against the N’was males, bc of number and age advantage. Problem is, since they injured Ubuso, they might gave a chance since it will now be 3 vs 3. But i still think these intruders will he chased out.

Really hope that Ubuso recovers from his injuries soon so he can start helping his brothers against the 3 intruders.

Im also pleased to see that Gore is actually giving chase towards of the intruders. Normally he doesn’t like fighting with other males due to his belly injury, but whenever his brothers are with him, we see his confidence increase. He even is chasing that unknown male alone (I think) so he contributed a lot in this case.
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 02:02 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-31-2022, 01:39 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Very interesting times ahead. I wont be suprised to see 7 male lions involve in a massive fight

I dont think these 3 intruders have a chance against the N’was males, bc of number and age advantage. Problem is, since they injured Ubuso, they might gave a chance since it will now be 3 vs 3. But i still think these intruders will he chased out.

Really hope that Ubuso recovers from his injuries soon so he can start helping his brothers against the 3 intruders.

Im also pleased to see that Gore is actually giving chase towards of the intruders. Normally he doesn’t like fighting with other males due to his belly injury, but whenever his brothers are with him, we see his confidence increase. He even is chasing that unknown male alone (I think) so he contributed a lot in this case.

I dont think these young guys will try another shot vs 4 males. 

I think they prob didn't even know that they where against 4 males, they encountered Gore yesterday, and Wide Nose today, so they knew there was 2 males, but im not sure if they knew about Orange Eyes and Amahle who came in hot and chased them away. These guys are new to this area, they didnt do any scounting, they are just attacking any males they encountered, which is quite reckless and overconfident, thats how young males get killed. 

And now N'ws scattered them, they are split, its hard to reunite when enemies are on your trails in their territory. 

So these guys will prob need to move away from this area and regruop, and if they all make it alive, would be a good lesson. 

N'ws will be now in full alert.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 02:02 AM by Duco Ndona )

Yikes, these new boys don't waste time. That could have ended worse if the others weren't around. I doubt we saw the last of them. 

This new group seems to be very aggressive and confident and has the numbers to back it up. Even if they leave the Nwas alone for now. Seeing how they nearly scored a huge blow to the current top coalition in the reserve. I hate to see what they could do to the smaller groups.

I am also curious how to Nwas will react to this. These lions are still around so they cant just leave poor Gore alone again after a couple of days. Will they band together and deal with this threat as a group? Or will the lure of the Kambula lionesses be to big to overcome?

But for the next couple of days or weeks. Things will likely stay calm.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-31-2022, 01:58 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Yikes, these new boys don't waste time. That could have ended worse if the others weren't around. I doubt we saw the last of them. 

This new group seems to be very aggressive and confident and has the numbers to back it up. Even if they leave the Nwas alone for now. Seeing how they nearly scored a huge blow to the current top coalition in the reserve. I hate to see what they could do to the smaller groups.

I am also curious how to Nwas will react to this. These lions are still around so they cant just leave poor Gore alone again. Will they band together and deal with this thread as a group? Or will the lure of the Kambula lionesses be to big to overcome?

As I said, i dont think they will try another shot vs N'ws, they prob got suprised when they ended vs 4 males.

But if they stay in the area further south, 2 S. Avocas might be in trouble (thats if all 3 young males managed to escape from N'ws).
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

WildRev Offline

@Mdz123  It's not the first Gore is chasing new males... Gore has always done what a male lion is supposed to do. 
Ubuso's injuries don't seems that serious, it's still 4vs3
2 users Like WildRev's post

Gavskrr Offline

My real concern now is with the pride, N'was they can just decide to abandon the southern pride and maybe styx if they think it's not worth it and leave the mercy of the new males, what would be a disaster
4 users Like Gavskrr's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The young newcomers clearly mean bussiness. It would be nice if those 3 turn out to be Othawa males as those are great genes.

(03-31-2022, 01:39 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: I dont think these 3 intruders have a chance against the N’was males, bc of number and age advantage.
So far the newcomers seem to be very capable and force to be recon with and 3vs4 is dualable especially as they already inflicted injurys to one male (Wide Nose) and there is under question mark how much Gore can add to the strenght of the coalition. 

(03-31-2022, 01:57 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I think they prob didn't even know that they where against 4 males
They must have known at least more or less what they are up against through scent and roaring of dominant males.

The competition of males in Sabi Sands is getting tense recently. On western sector there are 3 duos while arena of this size can be ruled by the single coalition without much of a problem. Probably one or two coalitions is optimal for a territory of that size so there will be probably some battles between those duos for territory as there is not enough of it for each of 3 duos. Now there are also those 3 newcommers which clearly does not intend to lay low and regardless if they will continue to challange Ndzenaga males or if they will challlange another coalition of Sabi Sands they will add a lot to male lion competition in the arena.
2 users Like Potato's post

Chris Offline

I know this is out of topic, but here’s an additional reason why Nhenna is keeping a low profile. Too many males, and his son or sons are truly not ready to form a coalition at the moment.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 02:49 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-31-2022, 02:17 AM)Potato Wrote: The young newcomers clearly mean bussiness. It would be nice if those 3 turn out to be Othawa males as those are great genes.

They are not, their ID's are posted yesterday and today here, 3 males from Phabeni area (or atleast they where hanging there few months ago).

(03-31-2022, 02:17 AM)Potato Wrote: They must have known at least more or less what they are up against through scent and roaring of dominant males.

Yes, but i dont think they knew that all roaring males are together, as all 4 N'ws prob didn't roar together these 2 days since they came here, as they where separated, or that all males are together.

They look like they aimlessly attacking any lone male they encounter, no scounting or exploring area prior to that.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-31-2022, 02:34 AM)Chris Wrote: Too many males, and his son or sons are truly not ready to form a coalition at the moment.
They already formed a coalition. 
(03-31-2022, 02:34 AM)Chris Wrote: here’s an additional reason why Nhenna is keeping a low profile

I do not think he is keeping low profile nor that he really has reasons to do so. As long as he is in good shape I do not see why wouldn't try to compete for territory.
BTW Some people were saying that Ndzenga males are stretched to wide and can be picked separatelly. That situation at Mala Mala shows how does it work in reality - if there are intruders around then the coalition will work together. In that case Ndzengas got together after hearing sound of lions fighting, but also they can just pick up the scent of the intruders, get together and track intruders down. Same case was with Majingilanes at their times. They did control multiple prides at the same time, spent time separatelly and many were saying they might be pick up one by one, but in fact always when they were confronting other coalition or were about to they did without any problems getting together and together they were facing their enemies.  Current Ndzenga's territory is large, but too large for a coalition of 4 and they should not have issues to properly work together as a coalition.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-31-2022, 02:48 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: They are not, their ID's are posted yesterday and today here, 3 males from Phabeni area (or atleast they where hanging there few months ago).
I get that those 3 are the same as those 3 seen at Phabeni Gate few months ago, but how does that excludes possiblity of those being Othawa males? Many at first glimpse though that those can not be Othawas because older male does not have smudge on his nose, but it was small smudge and I believe it could potentially disappear  over time. Also those newcommers came as Othawas: were group of 3 males, with one male being older than two others and with older male having dark type of mane while 2 younger ones had light type of mane. Also if we look at males which came from Othawa pride through last decade we can see that they all tended to be overdeleloped and impressive for their age. Matimba bloodline also tend to create true powerhouses so that would explain such confidence those young guns are presenting.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-31-2022, 03:03 AM)Potato Wrote: I get that those 3 are the same as those 3 seen at Phabeni Gate few months ago, but how does that excludes possiblity of those being Othawa males? Many at first glimpse though that those can not be Othawas because older male does not have smudge on his nose, but it was small smudge and I believe it could potentially disappear  over time. Also those newcommers came as Othawas: were group of 3 males, with one male being older than two others and with older male having dark type of mane while 2 younger ones had light type of mane. Also if we look at males which came from Othawa pride through last decade we can see that they all tended to be overdeleloped and impressive for their age. Matimba bloodline also tend to create true powerhouses so that would explain such confidence those young guns are presenting.

It excludes because we have pictures of them with visiable whisker spots, now compare it to 3 Othawas, you will see they are not Othawas.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

The Othawas are overrated. All thIs bloodline talk makes it seem like they are superlions, but so far it didn't amount to much. Just ordinary lions doing ordinary lion stuff.
And disappearing without a trace is part of that.

Anyway.

I think we need to keep in mind that if both the attacks on Gore and Widenose went differently, they would be down to two. And as amateuristic as people may call it. Picking of the members one by one is a very viable strategy. So I think the Nwaswitshakas coming out on top today was more down to luck than strategy.

Them being split up among multiple prides severely played against them. Had those males ran into the prides. Things would have gotten very ugly with only Gore there for protection. And if these new males keep pressurising them in the south, forcing the Nwaswitshakas to stay there as a group. It will leave the Kambulas vulnerable again.

The next couple of weeks we will see what strategy they will take and how this will affect the various prides under their control.

WildRev Offline

The new males are as lucky as Ubuso, with the arrival of Amahle and Eorenji and Gore's help they could have been injured or worse, one could have been caught and killed easily.
1 user Likes WildRev's post

RookiePundit Offline

I'm gonna say it is a good thing they are not Othawas, we would like to know more about the 3 young Othawas and having them on weel observed properties would be great - for our selfish reasons. But for the Sabi Sands, genetic wise, if these newcomers would make a foothold and sire viable progeny, it would be better if those were afawk unrelated males, preferably from south or east as most successful Sabi Sands coalitions had arrived from the north. Ofc they would be more beneficial in Mayneleti that needs influx of new blood more atm, but that is a longshot for now (as they have benn chased towards south and west and they would have to go northeast for that) and that would most likely mean the newcomers encountering one or more lone dominant males reigning pride in that direction which could end ugly. 

But they might not come in as they just did ever again who knows. Certainly it is a good thing for Southern Avocas that they are unseparable and pretty much always together, that could come handy. It might be tricky to smaller pride like Sourthern or Ndzhenga sister to avoid the trio as they are less likely to be a priority for protection over bigger prides their males have.

There is a lot of nomadic males on Sabi Sands right now and more sub-adults getting closer to that stage, only time will tell how things will mix up and who stays.

I take it as afaik the newcomers has chased/attacked only roaring/dominant males so far I wonder what would happen if they encounter other nomads - although they have seemed confident enough not to want more buddies, however the latest encounter might change that dynamic (they might ran into Nhenha, Nkuhuma or Dark Mane individually before they even group after being chase and that could be unpredictable encounters).
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post