There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(01-20-2022, 01:15 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 01:05 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 12:43 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Could have just been a clash with the N’was males since they have been venturing further south recently.

That was just recently, apparently sub is missing for few weeks now.

This means that the main candidate for the cubs death is NK male, although we will never know who did it. It couldnt have been a disease because the lionesses would also get infected.

I would guess that it is Plains Camp males doing. Recent injurys on Nkuchuma male and some Mhangeni females did not came up from no where and PC males recently started moving more around Singita insteed of just sitting in northern parts of Singita.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

People have been predicting the death of the cubs for months now. But so far the Mhangeni have done quite well protecting the last few. 
There is no acute reason to believe they will lose the last cub.

So far no further information is available except that the sub has been missing for a few days. It may have been killed. But it also could have gotten lost during a hunt or something.
I guess it being a subadult, it was given some more leeway or took some for herself than a cub would.

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned

(01-16-2022, 10:34 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Footage posted today of the Mhangeni Pride.  Only 6 lionesses and cub are sighted here.   Bringing continued concerns of whereabouts of the Othowa Male’s eldest surviving Sub adult and where she has been.   No sightings of her since 2 January.    

Credit:  kesiavenancio IG Stories

https://instagram.com/stories/kesiavenan...=copy_link

(01-20-2022, 02:23 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: People have been predicting the death of the cubs for months now. But so far the Mhangeni have done quite well protecting the last few. 

So far no further information is available except that the sub has been missing for a few days. It may have been killed. But it also could have gotten lost during a hunt or something.
I guess it being a subadult, it was given some more leeway or took some for herself than a cub would.

It was barely 17-18 month old. Ans she hasn't been seen since New Year, more than two weeks.
2 users Like Bellateda's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

Plains Camp males take down an injured Zebra. Both males are looking massive.

5 users Like 1999gc8's post

United States felinefan Offline

(01-20-2022, 05:30 AM)The Mangheni sub-adult was lost in an apparent clash with the Kambula sub-adults, per one of the Singita rangers. Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 10:34 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Footage posted today of the Mhangeni Pride.  Only 6 lionesses and cub are sighted here.   Bringing continued concerns of whereabouts of the Othowa Male’s eldest surviving Sub adult and where she has been.   No sightings of her since 2 January.    

Credit:  kesiavenancio IG Stories

https://instagram.com/stories/kesiavenan...=copy_link

(01-20-2022, 02:23 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: People have been predicting the death of the cubs for months now. But so far the Mhangeni have done quite well protecting the last few. 

It was barely 17-18 month old. Ans she hasn't been seen since New Year, more than two weeks.
1 user Likes felinefan's post

Contributor

Little cubs have to grow up. They cant just stash her in a den endlessly and then magically expect her to know how to hunt later.

I am not saying she was already participating or anything.
But if a wildebeest or zebra were to spot her as she was watching Or ran into hyenas while the adults were  busy. That could also explain her death.
Not everything has to be a male lion.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 04:28 PM by Bellateda )

OM was the unluckiest lion, sired so many cubs and lost every one. 
I count the cub doomed too. Disappointed

I dread for Ottawa pride, are they ok?

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 05:58 PM by Tonpa )

Five Kambulas down in Lion Sands

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

The Othawa pride is doing fine.

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 06:33 PM by Mdz123 )

(01-20-2022, 06:16 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The Othawa pride is doing fine.

Except the death of one of their pride males a few months ago
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Contributor

Yeah, but that was months ago and they had 2 spare ones.
I doubt they mourned long over him.

1ofCourage Offline

Lost Nkuhuma sub adult male.

https://twitter.com/LIONLOVERS5/status/1...2391726082
3 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States WildLeonis Away

(01-22-2022, 05:41 AM)1ofCourage Wrote: Lost Nkuhuma sub adult male.

https://twitter.com/LIONLOVERS5/status/1...2391726082

Is this Ridgenose’s other son? I know that one of the two she had back in 2019 unfortunately died last year from injuries I think. Or is this one of Purple Eye’s sons?

Isn’t he in or very near N’waswitshaka territory? If so, thats not good. Hope he finds his dads and/or the pride soon.
1 user Likes WildLeonis's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-22-2022, 08:01 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: Is this Ridgenose’s other son? I know that one of the two she had back in 2019 unfortunately died last year from injuries I think. Or is this one of Purple Eye’s sons?

Isn’t he in or very near N’waswitshaka territory? If so, thats not good. Hope he finds his dads and/or the pride soon.

Its Arathusa airstrip, he is on "his" and his pride territory, so he should find his pride soon.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sundarbans Offline

(01-16-2022, 08:19 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Really working out well for him, considering he's not related to the rest of them either

Are you saying Ubuso is not related to the other Ndzhenga males? I am not familiar with their origins so do you know how he ended up teaming up with the other three?
2 users Like sundarbans's post