There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-19-2022, 07:37 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Not sure on the date of this, I can see the sub-adult at the beginning 

I immediately noticed that so I’ve contacted Sean to find out when it was filmed.   I know they’re down south ATM but it would indicate a window of when she’s been seen.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2022, 09:14 PM by lionuk )

(01-19-2022, 07:37 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Not sure on the date of this, I can see the sub-adult at the beginning 
I counted 7 lionesses, including the sub at the beginning. Of course, the cub isn't included in the stand-off.
2 users Like lionuk's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-19-2022, 09:13 PM)lionuk Wrote:
I counted 7 lionesses, including the sub at the beginning. Of course, the cub isn't included in the stand-off.

Maybe someone can help count which lions are seen in this more recent sighting of the Mhangeni  in Sabi Sabi

Source:  Catherine_claire IG story

[insta]https://instagram.com/stories/catherine_claire1/2754702698093324317?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link[/insta]
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(01-19-2022, 09:20 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Maybe someone can help count which lions are seen in this more recent sighting of the Mhangeni  in Sabi Sabi

Source:  Catherine_claire IG story

[insta]https://instagram.com/stories/catherine_claire1/2754702698093324317?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link[/insta]
I've checked that story three times and could only see 6 lionesses plus a cub (lying down on the ground) in a frame..

*This image is copyright of its original author

So I've sent a message to this person for further clarification.
2 users Like lionuk's post

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned

Are all of these 6 adult?
1 user Likes Bellateda's post

1ofCourage Offline

(01-19-2022, 02:25 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Very nice video by Zali_Photo of The Last Gowrie Male Nhenha and his Kambula Pride.  

Nhena corrals his sweet lioness to get moving, as he brings up the rear.
1 user Likes 1ofCourage's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-19-2022, 09:13 PM)lionuk Wrote:
 After asking Sean, he says this is from a late October Sighting.   Also, Ron Mutero from Sabi Sabi confirms that the recent videos of the Mhangeni sighting include just 6 adult lionesses and one cub.   Still nothing about the Sun Adukt and not much hope we will know what happened.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2022, 11:20 PM by Tr1x24 )

(01-19-2022, 11:03 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: After asking Sean, he says this is from a late October Sighting.   Also, Ron Mutero from Sabi Sabi confirms that the recent videos of the Mhangeni sighting include just 6 adult lionesses and one cub.   Still nothing about the Sun Adukt and not much hope we will know what happened.

Well if ranger confirmed, it looks like that sub is gone, as we didn't see any pictures of her with the pride recently.. 

Shame, wonder what happened, you would think that smaller cub would be more vulnearble then older sub, who was already decent size, if somekind of clash with other lions happened..

Does anyone have a count of how many cubs got born (only 1 left now) in this span of ~3 yrs, since OM dominance of Mhangenis?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 12:12 AM by Bellateda )

I suppose the cub will be gone in the next month or so too. PC males are quite persistent.

My prediction: by the summer Mhangeni will be mating with new males and nurse new cubbies in August-October.
2 users Like Bellateda's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-20-2022, 12:09 AM)Bellateda Wrote: I suppose the cub will be gone in the next month or so too. PC males are quite persistent.

My prediction: by the summer Mhangeni will be mating with new males and nurse new cubbies in August-October.

Doesnt have to be the case, Tinya was also lone cub, and look her now. 

Also, no evidence, as far as I know, that PC males interacted with Mhanghenis recently (or even before, as Nwalungus and now lone NK where interacting with Mhangenis).

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(01-20-2022, 12:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 12:09 AM)Bellateda Wrote: I suppose the cub will be gone in the next month or so too. PC males are quite persistent.

Doesnt have to be the case, Tinya was also lone cub, and look her now. 

Also, no evidence, as far as I know, that PC males interacted with Mhanghenis recently (or even before, as Nwalungus and now lone NK where interacting with Mhangenis).

Could have just been a clash with the N’was males since they have been venturing further south recently.
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

RookiePundit Offline

(01-19-2022, 06:33 PM)WildLeonis Wrote: DM didn’t even stick with his brothers. He seems to prefer being on his own. So I don’t think he’d form a coalition with his sons unless the situation was extraordinary.

DM apparently had a strong bond with his littermate sister and it could be argued his bond to Blondie and Mohawk might have been affected by that, rather than him being loner (today his mobility is somewhat compromised, so he doesn't always stick to pride, when he can just sleep instead). But all Northern Avocas are regularly seen by themselves, acting much more independently in comparison to their southern brothers.

Funnily enough one of DM's sons (or better, Talamati young males) sticks to one of his sister, that is if he is still around which we don't know. Perhaps a concidence, perhaps hereditary personality effect.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-20-2022, 12:43 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Could have just been a clash with the N’was males since they have been venturing further south recently.

That was just recently, apparently sub is missing for few weeks now.

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 01:12 AM by Mdz123 )

(01-19-2022, 11:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 11:03 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: After asking Sean, he says this is from a late October Sighting.   Also, Ron Mutero from Sabi Sabi confirms that the recent videos of the Mhangeni sighting include just 6 adult lionesses and one cub.   Still nothing about the Sun Adukt and not much hope we will know what happened.

Well if ranger confirmed, it looks like that sub is gone, as we didn't see any pictures of her with the pride recently.. 

Shame, wonder what happened, you would think that smaller cub would be more vulnearble then older sub, who was already decent size, if somekind of clash with other lions happened..

Does anyone have a count of how many cubs got born (only 1 left now) in this span of ~3 yrs, since OM dominance of Mhangenis?

Here is my count of all OM’s cubs

- 3 cubs born early 2019, all died at a young age
- It would be a year and a half before OM’s next litter
- 2 cubs born July 2020
- 2-3 cubs born August 2020
- 3 cubs born November 2020
- all but 1 of the cubs born in 2020 killed by N’was in February 2021 (cub who survived the attack is the subadult who recently dissapeared)
- More cubs born 2021, but after OM’s death they died one by one exept the one who is alive right now
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 01:16 AM by Mdz123 )

(01-20-2022, 01:05 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 12:43 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Could have just been a clash with the N’was males since they have been venturing further south recently.

That was just recently, apparently sub is missing for few weeks now.

This means that the main candidate for the cubs death is NK male, although we will never know who did it. It couldnt have been a disease because the lionesses would also get infected.
1 user Likes Mdz123's post