There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

That male is definitely Dark Maned male, i found better photos to compare :

*This image is copyright of its original author

Behind him is that missing, 3rd male :

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 12:22 AM by criollo2mil )

(01-12-2022, 11:21 PM)Tonpa Wrote: This is the boy with the main pride 26th december, same male? 

The scars do make it quite conclusive it’s one of the same.   But I also concur with @Tr1x24 that the right WPs don’t seem same.   I do find that weird.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-12-2022, 11:52 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: That male is definitely Dark Maned male, i found better photos to compare :

Behind him is that missing, 3rd male :

I did back to back to back viewings of 19 Nov WE live; 26 December WE Live and Tintswalo video.  That is definitely DM jr YM.  The factor that convinced me most is he’s the same male that sustained an injury to his rump and where the tail begins from that hyena attack reported.  That injury is present in all three videos.  It’s him.  Which makes me sad.  Cause it may very well be, that third boy is indeed missing.  But it’s very strange that DMjr YM was way up by the three breakaways.  I won’t lose hope that the third male is up there too.
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned

Have you heard anything recent about Mhangeni?
1 user Likes Bellateda's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(01-11-2022, 09:59 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Never sadly, they apparently receive enough money from WildEarth to no longer need guests. You can however still access the property by staying at a lodge in Torchwood or Buffelshoek as they share traverse with Djuma (for now)

Yeah, that's a bit of a spin. Their is a video I saw in June, which I will look for and post below, where there was an interview with Rexson and some manager guy where they said they were going to be the very first lodge to operate on a seasonal basis in the winter months only, closing of one of their houses, downscale some of their others, more exclusive, environmental reasons etc.

WE's venues, traverse areas and content have steadily become smaller and less appealing over time while they relentlessly try to get new 'Explorers' and sell 'tickets' on their website that all looks increasingly more desparate. I find it hard to believe that income from WE is the reason they're shutting doors.

Not that this matters a jot to the lions of the Sabi Sands, of course  Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mMC6wJY38&t=476s
2 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 01:08 PM by lionuk )

Plains Camp males with Amber Eyes. Good to see them all doing well. 
It has been reported that Ridgenose is denning. We'll wait and see. 
Credit: Joffers McCormick

11 users Like lionuk's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 05:50 AM by Mdz123 )

First pic: One of the last sightings of Stompie and 1eye before they left Sabi Sands in April 2006

Second Pic: Matshapiri male as a subadult when in 2012 with his sister

Both photo Credits: Ahmed Odinia

11 users Like Mdz123's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 02:37 PM by Tonpa )

MalaMala December 2021 report is out.

Things of interest
  • Kambula cub deaths 
This month the grouping of the lionesses and cubs spent most of their time along the Matshapiri River from Emsagwen Crossing to the Sand River. On the 5th, two lionesses and five cubs were on a buffalo calf kill in the Matshapiri River south of the confluence of the Hogvaal Donga. On the 9th, we watched a lioness kill a wildebeest calf south of the Airstrip. She carried the kill to West Street Bridge, where her two small cubs were left between drives. In the middle part of the month, the older five cubs were left at Emsagwen Crossing, and it was a while before the lionesses returned. Thoughts were that the lionesses had abandoned the cubs – two of the cubs died during the time. The oldest litter of three made it through when the lionesses returned around the 20th. On the 18th, the two youngest cubs in the pride were with four lionesses at the White Cloth open area. This grouping of lions linked up with the three oldest cubs at Emsagwen Crossing around the 20th. By the end of the month, only the three oldest cubs and one of the younger cubs were still with their mothers.
  • Tsalala female changing her activity patterns
Given where the Marthly lioness has been seen, it is more than likely that she is the lioness that guests saw in the mid-day hours. Rangers were seldom able to relocate the lioness on the afternoon game drive, which suggests that she is choosing to adopt secretive habits that do not draw unnecessary attention to her presence in the area.
  • Styx pride pushing north? 

Three lionesses and 11 cubs of the STYX PRIDE were with two Ndhzenga males around Trollips Camp on the 27th

https://malamala.com/game-reports
10 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The Southern Pride female and her two cubs. They'd been resting in a lovely cool riverbed.

6 users Like lionuk's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The two Southern Avoca males. Two good-looking male lions, they're in much better shape than their Northern brothers.
Photo credits: Hans Goosen Photography 

10 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Talamati male in October - the one with the smudge 

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Talamati update 

I asked about the status of Dark Mane and Silver eye, and Tracie replied : "Dark Mane is here, just lying in the grass. He's not in good shape at all sadly, quite skinny. Silver Eye is with a few others near the border of Sabi Sands on the Manyeleti side, so not too far from us"

Sounds like silvereye is with the breakaways maybe, given the numbers present in the video. The best move for her. 
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Tracie uploaded a clip of dark mane walking. He's definitely skinny and has an empty belly. but still not looking too bad 

6 users Like Tonpa's post

1ofCourage Offline

(01-14-2022, 11:26 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Tracie uploaded a clip of dark mane walking. He's definitely skinny and has an empty belly. but still not looking too bad 

Being so skinny is easier on his joints, no doubt.  I bet they all are on the skinny side.
3 users Like 1ofCourage's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Nhenha and sub adult group of Kambula pride

4 users Like Potato's post