There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Hairy tummy Offline

Put a mane on that youngster and hes similar to his father
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

It appears the missing Ximhungwe subadult has been spotted hanging out with Gingerella.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-20-2021, 10:02 PM by lionuk )

(10-20-2021, 08:53 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: It appears the missing Ximhungwe subadult has been spotted hanging out with Gingerella.
Yes, that's what I've heard from a ranger that she's alive. Actually her mother was seen in Simbambili yesterday then later crossed back to west.and then later she crossed back to the west.
4 users Like lionuk's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-20-2021, 09:47 PM by Tonpa )

What a twist!

For those who want to see, it was posted on the Lions of Kruger National Park group, a video of both lionesses by Sepp Disch
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-20-2021, 09:49 PM by Tr1x24 )

Wow, interesting, still no sign of young Othawa male who was with Gingerella?

I guess its only matter of time when Ximhungwe female find them, if they are in the same area, now, its a question how she will react to Gingerella..

What a story would be if all 3 gruop and form a pride together.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Othawa Pride with Skorro jr
Photo credit: micheleh380two

*This image is copyright of its original author

11 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Gingerella would be a great addition to the Ximhungwe pride. Though we first would have to see how mom reacts to her. 
For the moment, the two are a bit in a problematic situation though. If Gingerella decides to try to join her natal pride again, the Ximhungwe lioness will most likely sadly be killed. While Gingerellas chances of being accepted are a lot lower if she has her hanging around her.

This likely also means Gingerellas brother got killed. He hasn't been seen in weeks now and I doubt the Ximhungwe lioness would have reached out to her if he was still around.
I guess the Tumbellas or Othawas got to him during a attempt to reconnect to his natal pride.

Contributor

Othawas aren't going to kill their own genetic investment, with limper out of action I can't imagine Skorro jr killing a 2.5 year old lion by himself without injury. 

Death in a hunting accident, or he slinked back south into Kruger?
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Talamati young male by Zali 

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-20-2021, 11:50 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Gingerella would be a great addition to the Ximhungwe pride. Though we first would have to see how mom reacts to her. 
For the moment, the two are a bit in a problematic situation though. If Gingerella decides to try to join her natal pride again, the Ximhungwe lioness will most likely sadly be killed. While Gingerellas chances of being accepted are a lot lower if she has her hanging around her.

This likely also means Gingerellas brother got killed. He hasn't been seen in weeks now and I doubt the Ximhungwe lioness would have reached out to her if he was still around.
I guess the Tumbellas or Othawas got to him during a attempt to reconnect to his natal pride

Gingerella is quite some time now near Othawas, even few times in interaction with females, but it looks like Othawas will not accept her at this point anymore, they have new cubs now to take care of,  Tumbelas also dont have reason to accept her as she is still too young for mating..

I hope im wrong, but if they didn't accept her until now, im affraid they will not, also i dont think Ximhungwe subadult will follow her close to Othawas, she will most likely run away when she sees other pride, as her mother taught her. 

For young male, idk, it could be anything, but i dont think he was killed, he prob left and went in search for his brothers, afterall, he prob realized he wont get accepted back into pride while Tumbelas are there, from which they form breakeaway in the first place.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2021, 12:22 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-21-2021, 12:11 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Othawas aren't going to kill their own genetic investment, with limper out of action I can't imagine Skorro jr killing a 2.5 year old lion by himself without injury. 

Death in a hunting accident, or he slinked back south into Kruger?

Yea, i also doubt Tumbelas did it, he is almost 3 yrs old, he can put up good fight 1vs1 against adult male (remember how Mohawk looked against not even 3 yrs old Nkuhuma male) so Skorro Jr or Limper would definitely had some scars.

I think he moved off.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

1/2 South Avoca males. Such a beautiful male.
Photo credit: Devine

7 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Lions like all animals don't really care about genetic legacies and such.  For the pride its all about the current cubs now and his return only brings trouble. Being their son may give him some leway. Perhaps being allowed off with a warning or a meal. But ultimately he would be chased off or attacked if he insisted on staying or got to close to the cubs. 
The Tumbellas could have killed him. Not every fight results in wounds. Sometimes lions just jump someone and snap their spine before the poor sab knows what happens. Especially if he was under a false sense of security from being back with the pride he would have been very vulnerable.

But ultimately its just speculation. A hunting accident or something like that is just as good of a guess. The only information we know for sure is that he disappeared. 

I don't think he is still alive. He clearly prefers to be around his sister seeing he followed her all the way from kruger. 
Gingerella would likely have followed him if he did head back. Even if it was just for a while before realizing he was straying away from the western sector and not just seeking new prey to hunt.  
Nor have there been any reports of him being alone either.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-21-2021, 12:14 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Talamati young male by Zali 

A quite dark-mane for such a young age. This Talamati male resemblances a lot to Dark-maned. Although all three males have mated with the females. If I not mistaken, one resemblances to Mohawk as well.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Singita - Sabi Sands Wildlife Report
September 2021
  Having found themselves a safe haven along the banks of the Sand River close to the lodges, with very little pressure, the two Tslalala lionesses continue to thrive and show signs of being extremely healthy and well looked after. We have noticed however that the older lioness is now missing the tip of her tail which we believe may have been bitten off by a hyena over a carcass they were feeding on at the beginning of the month. They have given us an abundance of great lion viewing over the course of this month, often resting near the river, basking in the golden light and even making a few successful hunts in the late afternoons.
7 users Like Timbavati's post