There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

That's Scar Tumbela..
2 users Like lionuk's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

Members of the Mhangeni pride. 13 Aug 2021
Photo credit: Michael Pekeur

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like lionuk's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-15-2021, 04:40 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Someone sent me these, mentioned it might actually be that new male that they beat up. Which would make more sense!
Pictures by Roger Rusley 

Unfortunately a branch blocks his face

The big Tumbela male has a quite big mane, even much bigger and grown that what I thought! So, the young male being attacked by the Othawa pride and the Tumbela male, it was the unknown male or a member of the coalition?
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Tough to say! Diff said it was Scar so i'll assume it was him, but would make more sense if it was the new male they were attacking. 

By the way here's a picture of the right side of the new males face 
Photo by Asher Stern

3 users Like Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-15-2021, 04:48 PM)lionuk Wrote: Members of the Mhangeni pride. 13 Aug 2021
Photo credit: Michael Pekeur

A Mapogo daughter in front and the young lioness sired by the Birmingham Boys in the right side. In my personal opinion, It makes much sense that the Mangheni pride have biten the Styx young male and such a injury lead him to his death. They're very aggressive females. Hopefully, rangers could given us a much detailed information
2 users Like T I N O's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I am not seeing i any indication that this was anything other than just a standard fight over a kill, So it was most likely just scar. 

Still. Its interesting that we are having a report of the Othawas beating up a young male lion. And the death of the young Styx male at the same time.
It probably wont be long before people start connecting the two. Even though its unrelated due to distance.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Our boy Mr S8 was at it again in Buffelshoek
Photos by Patsy Crisp

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

The two older Talamatis. One with the cubs isn’t nursing anymore from the pics. I think the cubs are goners.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Which is the one who just had the litter?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

The third photo. You can see a fading suckle mark. I could be wrong but it doesn’t look like she’s lactating anymore but we’ll find out soon enough.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Is the S8 male also known as the Imbali male?
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(08-15-2021, 06:55 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Is the S8 male also known as the Imbali male?

Yep sorry, the S8/Imbali male
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Thanks for letting me know. Im stills shocked by the death of Sym, Nym is by himself for now. The Othawa sub-adults could become a strong force in the future if all 3 males survive and form a coalition.
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Dont think thats Scar, fight looks very serious for an inner pride scrap..

Hope that male is ok.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I can see it happen.

It is dry season and apparently his health has dropped enough that even the lionesses feel confident enough to chase him of a meal. Weakening him even more.

He is going to have to fight more and more serious to get enough food. But that is going to provoke a more serious reaction from the others. Untill they eventually kill him or chase him out. Or food becomes plentiful again to negate the need for arguments.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post