There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Planin Camp boys

Seeing a male lion walk through water is an incredible sighting, and a first for me. Pre-empting this we were able to get ahead of him and capture it head on. With golden light made it that much better as his paws splashed through the flowing Sand River.

*This image is copyright of its original author

[i]After some patience, these two Plains Camp males crossed the Sand River into the central parts of the Birmingham Male Lion’s territory which is dangerous but daring for younger males like this.[/i]

[i]
[/i]
10 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

2 Othawa lionesses making kill and are later joined by limping aunty and one of the Tumbela males.

https://www.facebook.com/DuliniLodge/videos/845677589423940
5 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline

The younger Sand River female reveling her new cubs. 
Chris Sibuyi
Aug 13 2021

10 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-13-2021, 07:02 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Such a great footage of the Othawa pride and with the big and healthy Tumbela male. This Tumbela male will turn into a fine specimen of male lion. His mane has fill up a lot in months. Hopefully they will thrive in the area as they're doing at the moment.

For such a small pride, Othawas are superb hunters over the years, all their cubs/subadults since OM and Sassy where in top condition and well feed..

Lionesses from smaller prides are definetly better hunters, they need to activly participate in hunts since young ages, while in bigger pride, subadults have luxury to rely on numbers and get less experience..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Doesn't Windmill Pride exist somewhere around MalaMala?
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

They used to 10+ years ago, I believe some folks think there is some connection between them and the fourways pride
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Kubie Offline
New Join
Wink 

(06-14-2021, 03:57 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Have you seen 100% of every lion fight in the world?
Is there a natural law that bans lionesses from fighting along with male lions? Do they randomly explode if they think about it? Is there somekind of genetic illness that makes them faint if they get within 3 meters of two fighting males? 

If not. Then each case should be concidered the potential first documented case of what may just be a rare event.. 

If there are any actual arguments about why its actually impossible. Thats one thing. We now know the truth about dragons becouse we bothered to investigate them. And classified those that did exist into real animals like the crocodile or the boa constrictor. 

But I just wont take, I have never seen it before, therefor we shouldnt even concider it, as an answer. If we did that. We never would still believe the world was flat and there is nothing beyond the Atlantic ocean beyond a long detour to India.

If we ever want to understand those animals. We need to keep our mind open. Afteral, they surprise us all the time. They really arent just carbon copies of eachother.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Plains Camp male on H1-2 near Skukuza, January 2020, before they and their 2 sisters visited Sabi Sands for the first time, Kruger Sightings :

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Lauren on WE just mentioned the Torchwood pride were spotted yesterday, and they have 10 cubs currently.
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(08-14-2021, 08:35 AM)Kubie Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 03:57 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Have you seen 100% of every lion fight in the world?
Is there a natural law that bans lionesses from fighting along with male lions? Do they randomly explode if they think about it? Is there somekind of genetic illness that makes them faint if they get within 3 meters of two fighting males? 

If not. Then each case should be concidered the potential first documented case of what may just be a rare event.. 

If there are any actual arguments about why its actually impossible. Thats one thing. We now know the truth about dragons becouse we bothered to investigate them. And classified those that did exist into real animals like the crocodile or the boa constrictor. 

But I just wont take, I have never seen it before, therefor we shouldnt even concider it, as an answer. If we did that. We never would still believe the world was flat and there is nothing beyond the Atlantic ocean beyond a long detour to India.

If we ever want to understand those animals. We need to keep our mind open. Afteral, they surprise us all the time. They really arent just carbon copies of eachother.

If Im not wrong the Styx lionesses fought alongside the old Rollercoaster male against the Mapogos in 2008
3 users Like Mdz123's post

United States Xiku_kutsu Offline

(08-15-2021, 03:22 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:35 AM)Kubie Wrote:

If Im not wrong the Styx lionesses fought alongside the old Rollercoaster male against the Mapogos in 2008

I don't know about what happened with the styx lioness example, but lionesses can help in the right circumstances. Like here, when 3 invading males ambush the pride at a kill. The male attacking them is their pride male and the lionesses fight alongside him.

Wish I could hear the details/aftermath to this story.
6 users Like Xiku_kutsu's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

You can just feel that Freddy wasn't gonna back down no matter how many other males were there trying to steal the kill. And after that everyone gets involved and it becomes a free for all.
3 users Like sik94's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-15-2021, 04:22 AM)Xiku_kutsu Wrote: Wish I could hear the details/aftermath to this story.
3 nomadic by that time Sand River males approached KNP male Freddy and Salati pride on a kill and this is what happened. Later on Sand River males eventually pushed Fredy as well as Solo and Cleo out of the region and took over Salati pride.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Females can fight and support their males, but will not maul and kill other males, there is not 1 example of that.

Also in this example, this 3 are nomadic young males, not dominant territorial males..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 02:58 PM by Tonpa )

What the heck is going on?
Scoll to the end of the video

2 users Like Tonpa's post