There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Online
Moderators

(08-08-2021, 12:43 AM)Tonpa Wrote: One of the talamati girls had a wire around her during the sunrise stream, not sure if it was a snare or just wire since it looked pretty loose. Vets were called out and it was removed before the sunset stream

*This image is copyright of its original author
Look like the blind-eyed Talamati lioness, not sure of that. But judging by the pigment of his nose, is one of the oldest females
2 users Like T I N O's post

Gijima Offline

(08-08-2021, 04:13 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 03:31 AM)Gijima Wrote: Wonder if she picked up a snare in Manyeleti. That seems to be a hotspot for snares. The Nharu Male last year. Red Road this year...

How people manage to sneak in Manyeleti for example to put snares? I mean i understand that in Kruger, large territory with areas where there is no reserves or rangers..

But in these reserves where i assume they have a team who patrols borders/fences, antipoaching units and many amount of rangers driving around i dont understand..

And, if they catch something, how do they transport that animal out? Do they sneak it thru gates? I mean many poacher hot spots are near gates..

So I found this photo of a fence along Manyeleti which may explain why it's so easy for poachers to sneak in: 

That fence maybe an electric fence but still it's pretty weak. I'm sure anyone with a little bit of effort can sneak in through there. And as we know holes along these fences are hardly ever repaired with all the animals that escape out of here.
3 users Like Gijima's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

There's 30km of border fence with the community with multiple villages all the way across the border too, it's probably a constant battle
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-08-2021, 09:07 AM)Gijima Wrote: That fence maybe an electric fence but still it's pretty weak. I'm sure anyone with a little bit of effort can sneak in through there. And as we know holes along these fences are hardly ever repaired with all the animals that escape out of here.
Even if they would make stone wall all around then still someone really determinated would make his way through. There is no way fence on its own whatever made from would prevent poaching.
4 users Like Potato's post

Contributor

Kambula lioness follows the Avoca males back to the Nkuhuma pride and gets chased away 

https://www.instagram.com/stories/safari...878065004/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 03:50 PM by Tonpa )

PC boys in Londolozi, no clue on the date

At 12:28 minutes you can hear other lions calling which the PC boys stop and listen to

They also "speak" to each other at 13:18 which was interesting.
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-08-2021, 03:45 PM)Tonpa Wrote: PC boys in Londolozi, no clue on the date

At 12:28 minutes you can hear other lions calling which the PC boys stop and listen to

They also "speak" to each other at 13:18 which was interesting.

It was prob few days to a week ago.. Usually Londolozi videos are to 1 week old, this was prob before they got chased by Nhenha..

But what a beautiful males this 2 are, i really hope they can settle around this area after Bboys..

Dark Maned male is reffered as being bigger, but except the mane and slightly bulkier body, they are quite similar in size, i would even say that Blonded male has longer body :

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 04:04 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-08-2021, 03:35 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Kambula lioness follows the Avoca males back to the Nkuhuma pride and gets chased away 

Dangerous move by Kambula female, Nkuhumas are definetly in advantage atm because Kambula females are dispearse all over the place (2 have cubs, some are potentially with subadults or Bboys and some N. Avocas).
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 05:13 PM by Mdz123 )

(08-08-2021, 03:35 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Kambula lioness follows the Avoca males back to the Nkuhuma pride and gets chased away 

Apparently all 3 Avocas are back together?

Edit: Nevermind I thought the carcass next to Mohawk was actually DM
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-08-2021, 05:11 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Apparently all 3 Avocas are back together?

Edit: Nevermind I thought the carcass next to Mohawk was actually DM

DM is on Djuma, seen almost everyday on WildEarth.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 09:04 PM by Tonpa )

Some pretty graphic scenes, lionesses and cubs eating an alive Buffalo
7 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Mhangenis steal kill from the Tisela Female 

Gijima Offline

This is not to start any rumors and we should 100% verify this, but did anyone else hear of his:

Under this video: https://youtu.be/s5eLDCrg_IM

Sub adults shot to death for attacking a tracker on foot??
3 users Like Gijima's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 09:46 PM by Tonpa )

(08-08-2021, 09:31 PM)Gijima Wrote: This is not to start any rumors and we should 100% verify this, but did anyone else hear of his:

Sounds like they are talking about this https://www.sapeople.com/2021/03/08/safa...n-limpopo/ A tracker killed by two young nomadic males this year in Marataba

Gijima Offline

(08-08-2021, 09:45 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 09:31 PM)Gijima Wrote: This is not to start any rumors and we should 100% verify this, but did anyone else hear of his:

Sounds like they are talking about this https://www.sapeople.com/2021/03/08/safa...n-limpopo/ A tracker killed by two young nomadic males this year in Marataba

Ok, so not the Sabi Sands. Still tragic, but when I heard sub adults I thought of that rumor about the Talamatis. Glad it wasn’t related to that.
5 users Like Gijima's post