There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Psyckoo Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 01:51 AM by Psyckoo )

Talking about Othawa male death, I think that the fact that he didn't was nomad for some times didn't help him... 
Of course nomadic phase is never easy and we have see it with Tumbela males but it give you experiance and maybe good 'fear' you will learn to avoid dominant male and accept that you can not fight against more powerfull and especially when you have not numbers on your side (I don’t include Vurhami males on that, they are special, they don't learn, that another problem with them...)
Othawa male never face that, he take Mangheni and push again and again, the fact that Bboys didn't respond just they do with N'waswitshaka give him confidence... The fact that he chase 2 males some days ago before his death maybe help him to move against 1 male roaring, but this time Bboys show why they are still Kings.
5 users Like Psyckoo's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Kambula lioness, her cubs and Nhenha - scroll back through the reel for more 

https://www.instagram.com/stories/londol...648147165/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-13-2021, 01:25 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Kambula lioness, her cubs and Nhenha - scroll back through the reel for more 

5 new cubs..

Also, on the video its visiable that Nhenha is barely putting any pressure on his from left leg:

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 02:54 AM by BA0701 )

(05-13-2021, 01:48 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-13-2021, 01:25 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Kambula lioness, her cubs and Nhenha - scroll back through the reel for more 

5 new cubs..

Also, on the video its visiable that Nhenha is barely putting any pressure on his from left leg:

Simply astonishing, the death of possibly the largest lion in Sabi Sands, unknown the extent of his injuries, but hardly any visible injuries to either B-Boy. Doesn't sound like  OM's back was broken though, given the distance he possibly traveled trying to get back to his pride. Even Kinky Tail received a serious bite to his foot, in the killing of the 5th Majin.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-13-2021, 02:53 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

5 new cubs..

Simply astonishing, the death of possibly the largest lion in Sabi Sands, unknown the extent of his injuries, but hardly any visible injuries to either B-Boy. Doesn't sound like  OM's back was broken though, given the distance he possibly traveled trying to get back to his pride. Even Kinky Tail received a serious bite to his foot, in the killing of the 5th Majin.

I couldn't be more agree, really astonishing and shocking, given the fact (If could be possible) that the OM back wasn't broken. so, he had a slow and painful dead, We will never know it, but perhaps, he died hours, days later or during the attac, the reasons could be many, but will remais unknown for years and years... Sadly.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 04:01 AM by Slayerd )

(05-13-2021, 01:48 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: [quote='Tonpa' pid='144793' dateline='1620849312']
Kambula lioness, her cubs and Nhenha - scroll back through the reel for more 

5 new cubs..

You can see scratches and a limp here and Nhenha is said to be larger than the Othawa Male. Also we don't know what happened or what distance he ran, his back was probably broken or maybe they mauled and left him to bleed, either way they are the dominant lions in this fight as it would be 2v1 therefore don't expect more injuries. They killed him, he did not beat them up and fall over later on. They are the ones who should have little to no injuries. When 2 guys are beating up 1, we don't expect the guys who beating the one guy up to be that injured afterwards

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 03:49 AM by Timbavati )

(05-13-2021, 03:35 AM)Slayerd Wrote:

5 new cubs..

Huh? Did you not read what he wrote. You can see scratches and a limp here and Nhenha is said to be larger than the Othawa Male. Also you don't know what happened or what distance he ran, his back was probably broken or maybe they mauled and left him to bleed, either way they are the dominant lions in this fight as it would be 2v1 therefore don't expect more injuries. They killed him, he did not beat them up and fall over later on. They are the ones who should have little to no injuries. When 2 guys are beating up 1, you don't expect the guys who beating the one guy up to be that injured afterwards

Chill out my friend, BA0701 saw the limp of Nhenha. He's clearly meaning if there are even more injuries inflicted during the fight. I personally asked to Jen (She saw to the Birmigham males,Avoca males and the Othawa male) and as per her, the OM was bigger than both coalitions. As well, Londolozi ranger (I guess) during the video posted by a member here numerous time was mentioned, I believe it was a ranger that was describing the Othawa male as "He is so big" or "he is very big" this is the Othawa male"
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

2 users Like Timbavati's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(05-13-2021, 03:49 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

5 new cubs..

Huh? Did you not read what he wrote. You can see scratches and a limp here and Nhenha is said to be larger than the Othawa Male. Also you don't know what happened or what distance he ran, his back was probably broken or maybe they mauled and left him to bleed, either way they are the dominant lions in this fight as it would be 2v1 therefore don't expect more injuries. They killed him, he did not beat them up and fall over later on. They are the ones who should have little to no injuries. When 2 guys are beating up 1, you don't expect the guys who beating the one guy up to be that injured afterwards

Chill out my friend, BA0701 saw the limp of Nhenha. He's clearly meaning if there are even more injuries inflicted during the fight. I personally asked to Jen (She saw to the Birmigham males,Avoca males and the Othawa male) and as per her, the OM was bigger than both coalitions. As well, Londolozi ranger (I guess) during the video posted by a member here numerous time was mentioned, I believe it was a ranger that was describing the Othawa male as "He is so big" or "he is very big" this is the Othawa male"

I'm not attacking him, just explaining what happened and many people have said Nhenha is the largest. Legend Safaris, Londolozi, Mala Mala Ranger Nic Nel and even the Singita Rangers who saw the Othawa Male more than any other person said that Bboys were larger. Obviously we know Nhenha is much larger than Tinyo so we know they're referring to him.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Super Moderator

5 new cubs..

Don't sweat the small stuff my friend.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

5 new cubs..

You can see scratches and a limp here and Nhenha is said to be larger than the Othawa Male. Also we don't know what happened or what distance he ran, his back was probably broken or maybe they mauled and left him to bleed, either way they are the dominant lions in this fight as it would be 2v1 therefore don't expect more injuries. They killed him, he did not beat them up and fall over later on. They are the ones who should have little to no injuries. When 2 guys are beating up 1, we don't expect the guys who beating the one guy up to be that injured afterwards
Did you read the word hardly in my comment, do you understand the context, or do you require further clarification? So, exactly how far do you believe he would have run with a broken back? How sure are you that it was even 2v1? I have seen a lot of speculation floating about, but with no witnesses, and no necropsy, it is literally impossible to know for certain anything outside of the death of OM. Any of your comments claiming anything more than that is the exact same as everyone else's, which is to say pure speculation, with zero evidence proving otherwise. I don't believe anyone questions that it was 2v1, but there is not a shred of evidence proving that. So, in the lack of any evidence proving otherwise, you are welcome to opine in the exact same way as the rest of us are.
4 users Like BA0701's post

RookiePundit Offline

5 new cubs..

Londolozi has vested interest as Othawa was the lion they got regualrly and was already touted up due to his looks. Considering their questionable comments to romote the lion warfare narative, I would take these comments with a pinch of salt. Othawa was big, magnificient, but it is hard to compare different males if they are not next to each other (and even then sometimes) and espescially considering his exceptionally big mane for the area, he might have impressed people seeing him bigger than he was. However whether he was bigger than Nhenha (and what definiton we use for that) and in the end I don't think it really matters.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Super Moderator

(05-13-2021, 08:23 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:

5 new cubs..

Londolozi has vested interest as Othawa was the lion they got regualrly and was already touted up due to his looks. Considering their questionable comments to romote the lion warfare narative, I would take these comments with a pinch of salt. Othawa was big, magnificient, but it is hard to compare different males if they are not next to each other (and even then sometimes) and espescially considering his exceptionally big mane for the area, he might have impressed people seeing him bigger than he was. However whether he was bigger than Nhenha (and what definiton we use for that) and in the end I don't think it really matters.

With so much conjecture being a neccesary part of the conversation when the subject matter is as fluid, and often times lacking much if any factual information on a given event, we are in real trouble if we can't trust the eyes on the ground. Not saying we should in this case, I think we all need to do our own research, to reach as educated a consensus as we're able. Though, any conversation regarding size, and lacking factual data such as measurements, will always be subjective. At what point do we defer? Real question, no sarcasm or condescension intended or implied. Because, to be honest, every source of direct lion information from the field, are all in it for money of some kind, albeit some of that money might be going to aid the animals, but money nonetheless.

I do agree that size is rarely outcome derterminative, but it can play a role. I give much more weight to experience, pun intended. The recent events involving the Addo Boys is a prime example of this. Though significantly outsized, with very little experience, the two youngsters were able to drive off the much larger, and more experienced, male. However, when he returned with a second equally large and experienced male, they killed one of the young brothers, while the other was powerless to intercede.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Hairy tummy Offline

I dont think size makes that much of a difference, remember big boy charleston v bent spine? I think bent spine got the better of altercation.has anybody seen a 1 v 1 adult male lions that was very one sided?
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

United States felinefan Offline

(05-13-2021, 02:53 AM)What was the distance he was able to make back? From some earlier posts, he entered the heart of BBoys territory in an area around Alice Springs. If he wasn\t immobilized because of a broken spine then perhaps he was so badly mauled that he passed out on the escape back and hyenas finished him off.  All speculation at this point.  I agree, no visible injuries to the BBoys taking out the Othawa male is very intriguing. Wrote:

5 new cubs..