There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-24-2020, 01:18 AM)239Pu Wrote: what video is this from ? I searched but couldn't find . he looks so big

https://www.facebook.com/98841859194/pos...531589195/
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(12-24-2020, 01:18 AM)239Pu Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 01:13 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Solo Tsalala male.

very tall and good looking male.

*This image is copyright of its original author
what video is this from ? I searched but couldn't find . he looks so big

@239Pu

I got it from a facebook page dedicated to Solo as @Tr1x24 already provided a link.

in case you wanna see his page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tsalala.Mart...ion/posts/
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-24-2020, 01:44 AM by T I N O )

Tsalala/Martly/Solo Male & Hilda's Rock Male
Lion Sands Game Reserve - Image by: Anthony Berklich

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Solo (2016)
06:30
Male Lion on the move
S1, 23km from Phabeni Gate
5/5
Tinged by Sheldon
(Photo)

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the two old Nkuhuma pride males back in December 2007 at Djuma Private Game Reserve in Sabi Sands
Image credit: Erlend Oftedal

5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

One of the Tumbela males looking for his two brothers
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

As the daylight curtain falls and nature's stage looms into darkness the sounds of the African bushveld are amplified.
One evening the crunch of wet sand could be heard from the Dulini Leadwood tree house. As we gently raised the flashlight there before us stood the Othawa pride who had come to rest on the cool rocks near the river.
Image credit Dulini Field Guide Morah Cooper

4 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tumbela

5 users Like Potato's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Solo

Tsalala/Marthly/Solo Male Lion - Kruger National Park - Sheldon

Mating lions stationary on the S1 today

Tinged by Sheldon

6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-25-2020, 05:56 PM by Cath2020 )

Great mini-doc on Solo!!  You can see that close-up footage of him posted earlier, when he was near rangers.  He really is a fine looking specimen of a lion!  It's very unfortunate that he waited until 11/12 of age to head into Kruger, he might have had much more success with partners and prides there....  Maybe he got in a few good years, we'll never know.  There has not been a single update on Solo since he disappeared into Kruger.  It's possible that he survived because SO MANY lions are in that park, never filmed or seen.  We only see a tiny amount of thousands. 

There were just many large, aggressive coalitions in Sabi Sands during his prime.  He didn't have any blood brothers to leave with and was unlucky with his partners.  

He developed to have a marvelous build with pretty good height, too. 

I think any update on him would have been the most anticipated and long-awaited one.....  He turned 15 in July.  

5 users Like Cath2020's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-25-2020, 05:43 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Great mini-doc on Solo!!  You can see that close-up footage of him posted earlier, when he was near rangers.  He really is a fine looking specimen of a lion!  It's very unfortunate that he waited until 11/12 of age to head into Kruger, he might have had much more success with partners and prides there....  Maybe he got in a few good years, we'll never know.  There has not been a single update on Solo since he disappeared into Kruger.  It's possible that he survived because SO MANY lions are in that park, never filmed or seen.  We only see a tiny amount of thousands. 

He was seen being dominant in Kruger in 2016/early 2017 on S1, but then Charlestons came in that area, and he become nomadic again..lastly seen hanging with HRM and then he disapeared for good..

Knowing Solo, he most likely died of old age, and not from other lions,because he was very smart lion and survivor..

HRM reminds me of him, Solo was his first partner, and he learn'd a lot from him, how to survive as a lone male. 

Just imagen how hard and unlucky was for nomadic males in that period around 2016-18 around Skukuza area.. Mantimahles east, Charlestons north/west and Mpondos south.. 

Those 3 coalitions dispearse from that area Sand River males, Toulon males, Renosterkoppies males, Old Nwaswitshaka/Matasaka males, older Nwaswitshaka males and young males like Talamatis, Mhangenis, Sand Rivers (Toulon sons), Spartas and prob few more of which we dont know who came from Kruger.. 

This shows us that luck plays big part of success in lions world.. 

HRM is the only male who somehow managed to hang and stay in that area until today/2020.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Sand River young cubs explores a fallen tree.
Image credit: Dylan Royal

Jaguar Enthusiast

If lions were more of solitary cats overall, Solo with all his experience would be a good example of that.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Othawa male with one of the Mangheni females yesterday at Ulusaba in Sabi Sands Game Reserve
Image credit: Ryan Johnston

5 users Like T I N O's post

Gijima Offline

Talamati Pride- Wildearth Dec 25th 
Great picture of the youngest subadult male who should be 2 years old next year (Blondie, on the bottom)

5 users Like Gijima's post