There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Gijima Offline

(12-15-2020, 12:38 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 12:26 AM)Gijima Wrote: @Tr1x24 Sunrise Drive. This is when young S Avocas were in Simbambilli. Never heard any guides talking about Bboys taking down 7 buffalos?

Not maybe 7,but also a lot, 4/5 or something in 1 night..

but they where 5..

Is it even possible for 2 young males to kill 7 buffalos in 1 night?? Sounds impossible if you ask me..

I will try to find it when he says that..
Ok, this is even crazier. Apparently after the sighting with Dark Mane today, he walked over to a dam with a dead hippo (not an adult bull, but adolescent so still over 1000lbs) and managed to pull it out all by himself. I can’t even imagine how that’s possible especially if it was wet. Really hope there’s a video of this somewhere

Mohawk4 Offline

At 30:12 HB grooming with Junior..... Heart

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(12-15-2020, 12:54 AM)Gijima Wrote: He explained it a bit... During the drought between 2014-2017 lots of coalitions and Pride were pulling down Buffalo after Buffalo. I remember the NKs left buffalos behind uneaten all the time. This was still pretty crazy though... even weak buffalos can be dangerous so 7 is a crazy #

He might have messed up the names. Tristen spoke about the 5 Bboys hunting 7 Buffalo in one night when he was speaking about the death of Nsuku and how each ate at their own kill. Tristen was on Safari Live since early 2017, I find it highly unlikely he even saw the Southern Avocas during their nomadic days.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

This is the Video where he speaks about the 7 kills and talks about Nsuku as well as how incredible the Birmingham Boys were at hunting Buffalo. Time Stamp is around 1:25:00
https://youtu.be/OFQrnUxvKI8
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Gijima Offline

(12-15-2020, 05:44 AM)Slayerd Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 12:54 AM)Gijima Wrote: He explained it a bit... During the drought between 2014-2017 lots of coalitions and Pride were pulling down Buffalo after Buffalo. I remember the NKs left buffalos behind uneaten all the time. This was still pretty crazy though... even weak buffalos can be dangerous so 7 is a crazy #

He might have messed up the names. Tristen spoke about the 5 Bboys hunting 7 Buffalo in one night when he was speaking about the death of Nsuku and how each ate at their own kill. Tristen was on Safari Live since early 2017, I find it highly unlikely he even saw the Southern Avocas during their nomadic days.
He’s worked in the area for over a decade since Mapogo days. He’s mentioned this same story last year. Anyways, not a big deal. Everyone killed lots of buffalos back then apparently. 

This hippo story from today is way more interesting. Hoping someone caught it on video. They usually use a tractor to remove hippos from the water.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

United States felinefan Offline

(12-14-2020, 05:25 PM)FB reports that only two of the Mangheni cubs are still alive.  The pictures here also only show the 2 older cubs.  Is this true? Are the Mangheni lionesses living up their reputation of being absolutely useless caring for its cubs. Have the other 2 cubs been spotted within the last 24 hours ? TinoArmando Wrote: During the heat of the day, we decided to visit a water source close to where the Southern Pride female was seen. As we approached, we saw the female lift her head up and on closer inspection, her two cubs were right with her getting a drink. We revisited her later in the afternoon and realised that she had made a kudu kill, and watched the cubs moving in and around a rocky area.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Tracks of a pride of lions were found early in the morning. We followed them and found the pride in a rocky outcrop – the Mhangeni Pride, their cubs, as well as the Othawa male!

Image credits: Erin Herbst

T I N O Online
Moderators

Sub adult male lion from the Talamati pride sleeping on the dam wall with rest of pride
Image credit: Keith Rawlins 

4 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-15-2020, 09:14 AM)felinefan Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:25 PM)FB reports that only two of the Mangheni cubs are still alive.  The pictures here also only show the 2 older cubs.  Is this true? Are the Mangheni lionesses living up their reputation of being absolutely useless caring for its cubs. Have the other 2 cubs been spotted within the last 24 hours  ? TinoArmando Wrote: During the heat of the day, we decided to visit a water source close to where the Southern Pride female was seen. As we approached, we saw the female lift her head up and on closer inspection, her two cubs were right with her getting a drink. We revisited her later in the afternoon and realised that she had made a kudu kill, and watched the cubs moving in and around a rocky area.

Tracks of a pride of lions were found early in the morning. We followed them and found the pride in a rocky outcrop – the Mhangeni Pride, their cubs, as well as the Othawa male!

Image credits: Erin Herbst

4 Mhangeni females which formed up Mhangeni pride raised 13 cubs to adulthood if we count in sub adult sired by Birminghams, third older Mhangeni and Big Boy Mhangeni which lived up to nomadic stage. There isn't really reputation of Mhangeni females as usseles mother. In fact they are definitelly among the most successfull mothers around.

Salman B.A.M Offline

(12-15-2020, 12:26 AM)Gijima Wrote: @Tr1x24 Sunrise Drive. This is when young S Avocas were in Simbambilli. Never heard any guides talking about Bboys taking down 7 buffalos?

but they where 5..

Is it even possible for 2 young males to kill 7 buffalos in 1 night?? Sounds impossible if you ask me..

I remember tristan talking about it, and actually its on Video.. Not all the 5 hunts but some are... you can see at least 3 buffalo hunted at the same time and each birmingham havin his own dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ujy7KkOyI

By next morning they hunted 2 more perhaps to have 5 buffs for 5 brothers.
2 users Like Salman B.A.M's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Styx pride at Sabi Sabi:

Photo Credits: legendsafaris

2 users Like Tr1x24's post

(12-16-2020, 12:39 AM)Salman B.A.M Wrote:

but they where 5..

I remember tristan talking about it, and actually its on Video.. Not all the 5 hunts but some are... you can see at least 3 buffalo hunted at the same time and each birmingham havin his own dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ujy7KkOyI

By next morning they hunted 2 more perhaps to have 5 buffs for 5 brothers.

No this is a different hunt on Djuma but its does show how incredible they were at hunting Buffalo.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

HB Matimba
5 users Like T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline

4 users Like Hairy tummy's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(12-16-2020, 10:37 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote:

That's a cool video. Thanks for sharing