There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Nkuhuma females "Chela" sired by the Northern Matimba males.
her look like a lot to Shaka of the Matimba coalition

Image by: Pieter Dannhauser
Nkorho Bush Lodge
posted: December 2019

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like T I N O's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(10-10-2020, 10:00 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Mangheni pride and their cubs sired by the Othawa male in SS 
Image by: James Tyrell 
Londolozi Game Reserve
Posted: 04.10.20.

How many cubs are there in the Mhangeni pride and what are their approximate ages? And are all of them fathered by the Othawa male?

On a somewhat related note, is the lioness known as Aunty Othawa the mother of the Othawa male Nguvu as well? Or is it the other older lioness? I know Sassy is his sister but I am not sure which of the two older lionesses is his mother.
2 users Like sundarbans's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-10-2020, 11:50 PM by T I N O )

(10-10-2020, 11:35 PM)sundarbans Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 10:00 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Mangheni pride and their cubs sired by the Othawa male in SS 
Image by: James Tyrell 
Londolozi Game Reserve
Posted: 04.10.20.

How many cubs are there in the Mhangeni pride and what are their approximate ages? And are all of them fathered by the Othawa male?

On a somewhat related note, is the lioness known as Aunty Othawa the mother of the Othawa male Nguvu as well? Or is it the other older lioness? I know Sassy is his sister but I am not sure which of the two older lionesses is his mother.

Hi Sundarbans.
I hope you're well and safe!
At the moment only are two cubs (1 female cub and 1 male cub) both sired by the Othawa male. Nonetheless,one of the Mangheni females is believe that has give a birth news cubs a few weeks ago,However, still are young to  appear on the Mangheni pride
The Mangheni cubs were see by first time on Singita in August 12. (I don't know how old are they)
The Othawa male mom was killed by hyena a few years ago.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States Peteporker Offline

(10-10-2020, 08:08 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: 1 of the Matshapiri male 'Smudge-Nose'
credit: Maribel G.

was this recent? any news where he was viewed and whether he has a new partner or is dominant over a new pride?
1 user Likes Peteporker's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 04:31 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-11-2020, 03:51 AM)Peteporker Wrote: was this recent? any news where he was viewed and whether he has a new partner or is dominant over a new pride?

I dont think thats recent.. There has been nothing of him for around 2.5 yrs now.. Because of his smudge on nose he would be spotted somewhere till now if he is still alive, he would be very old now.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

1 of the Tumbela males:

Photo Credits : gjsmitphotography

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Kambulas on buffalo hunt

2 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

There is a small pride of lions that graces us with their presence from time to time. The two Ximhungwe lionesses sometimes come in and move along the northern section of the property.
During the latest visit from these felines, they brought along a new member of the pride. This got us all excited as we have not yet seen the young Ximhungwe cub.
It seems as if the cub is around six months old. We watched the youngster and mom interacting and suckling.

Although the Ximhungwe visit was brief, we look forward to seeing the cubs’ development over the next few months.
Written by – Cal Butler
Images courtesy of – Stuart Buy

5 users Like T I N O's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(10-11-2020, 08:49 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: There is a small pride of lions that graces us with their presence from time to time. The two Ximhungwe lionesses sometimes come in and move along the northern section of the property.
During the latest visit from these felines, they brought along a new member of the pride. This got us all excited as we have not yet seen the young Ximhungwe cub.
It seems as if the cub is around six months old. We watched the youngster and mom interacting and suckling.

Although the Ximhungwe visit was brief, we look forward to seeing the cubs’ development over the next few months.
Written by – Cal Butler

So the other lioness is alive? The last time I saw them both one of them did not look very good.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-12-2020, 12:10 AM)Matimbalani Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 08:49 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: There is a small pride of lions that graces us with their presence from time to time. The two Ximhungwe lionesses sometimes come in and move along the northern section of the property.

Written by – Cal Butler

So the other lioness is alive? The last time I saw them both one of them did not look very good.

No, only one adult female and her cub remain.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 02:34 PM by Tr1x24 )

New cubs in Torchwood pride, 3 cubs on this sighting, but might be more, Cheetah Plains :

Othawa lioness Sassy with Junior and 3 subadults, Junior's mother is on her own, prob dening and other Aunty is mostly with Tumbelas:

https://www.facebook.com/159008261506797...459855637/

HB still on his own it seems.

Will be interesting to see how this situation in western sector turns out.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

Torchwood Young Male at Djuma with one of his sisters or aunts. Most likely his sister. The Torchwood Pride is made up of very beautiful lions. 
Credit: Villiers Steyn

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like Slayerd's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

Tr1x24
[quote pid='129556' dateline='1602494560']
New cubs in Torchwood pride, 3 cubs on this sighting, but might be more, Cheetah Plains :

Othawa lioness Sassy with Junior and 3 subadults, Junior's mother is on her own, prob dening and other Aunty is mostly with Tumbelas:

https://www.facebook.com/159008261506797...459855637/

HB still on his own it seems.

Will be interesting to see how this situation in western sector turns out.
[/quote]

Thank you for the updates my friend. 

Torchwood male is looking very good for his age. He is gonna be a tank when he reaches 5 or 6. 

As per the Othawa Pride... 
Which female is exactly mating with Tumbelas? Just Auntie Othawa or the denning Momma Junior? 
Othawa Female (Junior's Mother) is possibly denning with most likely HB's cubs (Gestation period being 110 days).  Is the other Auntie the only one who mates with the Tumbelas? 
I thought the Othawa female that is with the Tumbela males was the one who is denning. But now i know that is not correct. 

I only started following lions in 2008. By that time, the current  Othawa females were very young with their brothers
1 user Likes Mabingilane's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

An idea of who this Young Male could be? Photo was taken at Rattray's Camp Mala Mala. Date not specified. Doubt it could be one of the Kambula Young Males. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQACFDgsks/...0hynufxiy2

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:40 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-12-2020, 10:28 PM)Slayerd Wrote: An idea of who this Young Male could be? Photo was taken at Rattray's Camp Mala Mala. Date not specified. Doubt it could be one of the Kambula Young Males. 

If its recent it might be:

Older ones are born in June 2018, so as we see from this male, he already has quite a mane and very dark..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post